Opinions please!

Hi all. Introduction first........

I have been lurking in the shadows of this great forum for a while now, and have just decided to take the plunge and buy my first air cooled porsche. Looking at 911s from g series up to mid 80s impact bumpers (probably targas due to cost), 912s, and 993s. Pretty wide range for the right car / price. I'm an ex Volkswagen guy, so it needs to be AC! Not scared of LHD for the right car, but would obviously prefer RHD as long as it's honest.

I would love some opinions from people more knowledgeable than me on these cars:

Check out this 1974 Porsche 911 Manual.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1974-Porsche-911-Manual/OAG-AD-17034314

Check out this 1974 Porsche 911 Manual.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1974-Porsche-911-Manual/SSE-AD-6064631

Check out this 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Manual.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1984-Porsche-911-Carrera-Manual/SSE-AD-5931174

Thanks in advance!

Scott

First, welcome

Second, what are you looking for?  It's clear it's a 911, but what do you want to use it for? This might help your decision making process.  You might also want to mention where you are because there might be others you can take for a drive.

My pick out of those is the 84 - it's been discussed on the for sale thread.  Best engine out of the three and galvanised chassis, plus numerous other improvements over the years.

But some would go for the 74 because of the much more delicate and old school appearance (chrome trim and narrow body).

If I had to pick between the 74s I would lean towards the white one.

Thanks for the reply! 

It will be used as a weekend car, maybe the odd sunny drive to work. Not scared to do a bit of work on the car, but dont want to be rebuilding it anytime soon. 

I'm based on the northern beaches of Sydney so intend to go and look at the white one in the coming days. If anyone has looked at any if the cars it would be great to get some opinions. I did see the comments on the black 84 - it's a lovely original car but I must admit I prefer the slightly older ones. 

Scott

Welcome @Moobs Im in Nth SYDNEY and recently picked up an 80 sc using it exactly as you intend. I’m currently driving it daily as I just sold my Macan and totally loving it. I would also go the white targa as a narrow body car. Simon is a really great guy who is the seller and has been around prestige and classics a while so he only picks good cars. He’s had it a while and turn over is key for small dealers so he may be able to do you a better deal.  Hopefully you are in one soon and joining us on a drive

I kept coming back to that White Targa every single time when I was looking for something myself. Love the look. If only it was matching engine.....

If this doesn't throw you off, it seems to tick all the other boxes. Aussie, RHD etc Looks like a great car.

Also feel you could probably get this under $70K.

Not a fan of the burgundy one. The black 84 is tempting, but LHD and interstate.

Hey Scott, and welcome 

I'm with Niko...the white 74 Aussie delivered car looks great. Always have a pre purchase inspection done on any car to ensure all is good with the mechanicals, including a compression and leak down test. A little more expensive, yet it will show up any potential and expensive unseen problems. 

Welcome

Buy a Targa if you like Targas, maybe don't buy one just because they are cheap.

On carsales at the moment in your era there are 25 Targa/cab for sale and about 15 coupes which is arse about in terms of how many of each were imported.

No I didn't look at it as I was specifically wanting something Aussie and Original.

Also agree 100% with the comment above from 9er. Buy a Targa if you like Targas, not because they are cheap. For a while there I came close to buying a very clean and original 944 Turbo, as it looked great value for money. My wife actually steered me off it and said just buy the car you really want. Ultimately I knew she was right, and now that I've found it, I have no regrets.

Personally I love the look of Targas, but having previously owned an old Ghia Cabrio, I've been scarred by anything with an open top. I was only in the market for an original numbers matching Coupe.

Fair point about the targas, but as if happens I have always liked the way they look, although I have never owned one. Or a cabrio anything for that matter. What's the issue with them? Leaky / creaky? Flexy? Any insights would be great! 

1 minute ago, Moobs said:

Fair point about the targas, but as if happens I have always liked the way they look, although I have never owned one. Or a cabrio anything for that matter. What's the issue with them? Leaky / creaky? Flexy? Any insights would be great! 

There isn't an issue per say .... it's just that most buyers are after a coupe and then "settle" for a Targa or convertible.

The coupe roof adds rigidity to the chassis so is better for the track and spirited weekend drives ...

There is nothing wrong with any of the models ... all the others are saying is to wait and buy the one you really want .. :D

I was looking at targa’s which I really like however a great AU coupe came up that I couldn’t resist. I’m very happy with it but still do lust after a targa, especially an early narrow body, they look so much better in my book.

if you’re not overly worried about AU and matching numbers that black HK Import that Mike is selling looks great value as a potential hot rod for anyone. 

Targas look great. Actually prefer their classic retro look slightly more than the coupes. Personally though, I like the idea of a closed body with less rubber seals, and potential water leaks. (Yes scarred by my old Ghia) I'd expect they'd be a bit more breezy on freeways too. I'm thinking long term ownership and hopefully less headaches and maintenance issues with a coupe over a targa. Also considered the thought of re-sale should the need ever arise in the future.

Good Luck and take your time. There's always something new popping up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2019 at 19:40, Moobs said:

I’ve got a targa I restored from a basket case and also hot rodded. It’s one of my favourite cars.  The open top and the big glasshouse is magic when driving.  And as far as rigidity goes, the difference over a coupe is unnoticable on the road (and mine has wider wheels and tyres and very good ‘fast road’ suspension).

The roofs are amazing, so long as the seals aren’t trash they are quiet, watertight and fold down to very little.  Just don’t catch your finger in one whilst unfolding. Trust me, it hurts like hell. 

911 cabs are also overlooked and thus undervalued. The roofs are excellent in terms of wind noise and water tightness. Nothing like a typical 50’s or 60’s Brit sports car.  I was intending to do an RS style cab but got distracted and did a cab safari instead...