Tyres Sizes/Makes

Merv

Another preparatory question.

Tyres - the car I am getting ('88 Carrera) has the option fitted of 16" rims.  What tyres sizes (e.g., should it be F 205/55R16 and R 225/50R16) and makers should I be looking at for street use only?

Congrats on the purchase Merv 👍

Tough choice really, as we all have different opinions with what owners have had fitted to their cars, so you will be bombarded with various brands.

Personally, I have Hankook Ecsta Evo 12's fitted to my '78 (same sizes as you've mentioned above, though will confirm later) for the past 3 years which have been great rain or shine, and not exactly hanging around in the hills. They don't offer mega grip like an R comp tyre does ofcourse, yet as an all round tyre that last for ages and great in the rain, I'd highly recommend them. I do only drive it a couple of times a month, yet it is always 'spiritedly' in the hills

35 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Merv

This is easy:  Bridgestone Potenza RE003’s.  Great wet and dry.  Had them on two 3.2’s and only have praise.

If you keep your eye out they are often offered as a 4 for the price of 3 deal.

Same here, great all rounder for the car and I’ve driven mine pretty hard in all weathers, really can’t complain. 4 for the price of 3 offers are quite frequent at Bridgestone dealers at ~$500 a set.

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

Merv

This is easy:  Bridgestone Potenza RE003’s.  Great wet and dry.  Had them on two 3.2’s and only have praise.

Another vote for the RE003's from me.  A great tyre and well priced.

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

Merv

A great tyre.  Soft and grippy rubber with a wear rating/softness of only 220, which is the same a Pirelli PmZero Rosso.