Tyres Sizes/Makes

Merv

Another preparatory question.

Tyres - the car I am getting ('88 Carrera) has the option fitted of 16" rims.  What tyres sizes (e.g., should it be F 205/55R16 and R 225/50R16) and makers should I be looking at for street use only?

Congrats on the purchase Merv 👍

Tough choice really, as we all have different opinions with what owners have had fitted to their cars, so you will be bombarded with various brands.

Personally, I have Hankook Ecsta Evo 12's fitted to my '78 (same sizes as you've mentioned above, though will confirm later) for the past 3 years which have been great rain or shine, and not exactly hanging around in the hills. They don't offer mega grip like an R comp tyre does ofcourse, yet as an all round tyre that last for ages and great in the rain, I'd highly recommend them. I do only drive it a couple of times a month, yet it is always 'spiritedly' in the hills

Merv

This is easy:  Bridgestone Potenza RE003’s.  Great wet and dry.  Had them on two 3.2’s and only have praise.

If you keep your eye out they are often offered as a 4 for the price of 3 deal.

35 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Merv

This is easy:  Bridgestone Potenza RE003’s.  Great wet and dry.  Had them on two 3.2’s and only have praise.

Same here, great all rounder for the car and I’ve driven mine pretty hard in all weathers, really can’t complain. 4 for the price of 3 offers are quite frequent at Bridgestone dealers at ~$500 a set.

Brilliant and thanks guys.  Also stocking up on maintenance spares in advance (anal I know).

Oil Filters?  Mahle OC 54?  Best source in AUS?  Alternatives?

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

Merv

Another vote for the RE003's from me.  A great tyre and well priced.

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

Merv

A great tyre.  Soft and grippy rubber with a wear rating/softness of only 220, which is the same a Pirelli PmZero Rosso.

Archived