2008 Boxster S UK import - Insurance advice

JasonH

Hi All,

I have just arrived in Sydney from the UK and am (im)patiently awaiting the arrival of my Boxter S, but after contacting a few insurance companies it seems no one wants to insure my vehicle. Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Look forward to meeting some of you as soon as I have my baby back.

J

Hi Jason welcome aboard. I personally am with Shannon's, I had been with them for many years and then Lumleys was recommended to me. I went across to them, but the last renewal was a joke, price had gone up and insured value way down.

Gave Shannon's a ring and went much better.

Having said that, Porsche actually do insurance and we recently had a fair post on it. If you check back you will find the post.

In the meantime I'm sure Chris993 will pass the details there onto you of whom he recently dealt with.

Certainly worth a phone call, keeping in mind Chris was dealing with P Vic, but I would think P NSW would have similar.

Hope you do catch up with our NSW contingent once your Box arrives.

Caver also a Boxster man from your State, may also advise you re his Insurance.

As i said I am happy to be back with Shannon's, but will look at the Porsche policies when renewal time arrives

• 4 months later...

Which company did you end up choosing? 

I am with MB Prestige - have heard good things about this particular firm, but my experience with insurers in Australia is limited.

Welcome Jason!  Thanks Niko!

My 986 is with AAMI, I have my Subaru with them too.  When I looked around, I found them to be cheaper than NRMA, I do have maximum No Claim Bonus which may skew things.

Hope to see you on some Sydney SMTs soon!

Oh believe me it sure is!!! In the UK a Boxter is not a prestige car like here and is therefore much cheaper. By the way everything is more expensive here !!! :)

I recently watched a WHEELER DEALER episode, where they purchased a 2001 Boxster S for 1000.00 pounds.

Supposedly had a problem with the auto side of the tiptronic and it needed brakes and a bit of a tidy up. But generally in pretty good nick. The auto in the tip was fixed by a simple oil change. The original seller obviously thought it was a major problem, to get rid of it at that price.

Caver, how did you get your Box insured with AAMI? They told me they don't do Porsche. To be honest I had the same response at a few places...

Yes, ran into the same problem originally.  I was attempting to get a quote from the website....however, I rang them and spoke to a human and they said "of course we insure Porsches".

I recently watched a WHEELER DEALER episode, where they purchased a 2001 Boxster S for 1000.00 pounds.

Supposedly had a problem with the auto side of the tiptronic and it needed brakes and a bit of a tidy up. But generally in pretty good nick. The auto in the tip was fixed by a simple oil change. The original seller obviously thought it was a major problem, to get rid of it at that price.

Yes Niko....they also changed the headlights, tail lights and blinker repeaters to 2003 model to make it look younger!  They actually spent more on the lights than they spent on the car purchase!!!

Yes mate, cosmetic stuff that they could have gotten away with, plus painting the wheels black.

Came up good.

I quickly checked the price of those clear headlights and side blinkers, after I watched the video,can't remember off hand what they are, but reasonably expensive I thought. Might stick with the ones I have for the moment.

Yes, ran into the same problem originally. I was attempting to get a quote from the website....however, I rang them and spoke to a human and they said "of course we insure Porsches".

Well that explains it.. Thanks Caver

Have my CX9 and my wife's MG insured with them & both of us are rating 1 for life.

Did the online insurance quote and wouldn't go near the Boxster.

Best I make a call on Monday.

Oh believe me it sure is!!! In the UK a Boxter is not a prestige car like here and is therefore much cheaper. By the way everything is more expensive here !!! :)

Yep, everything is more expensive here. With the exception of a few things, like Fuel for example.

Cars are alot more expensive here due to a different supply vs demand dynamic.

Australia is a still a great place to live, must be as we seem to get a huge amount of boat-tours stopping here :ph34r:

This is comical. It appears we now have two p-car owners whose wives drive a cx9 and an mg. Or perhaps it is the same wife with 2 husbands????

You're right Chris. How coincidental is that?

This is comical. It appears we now have two p-car owners whose wives drive a cx9 and an mg. Or perhaps it is the same wife with 2 husbands????

Does Vic make it 3? (CX9 & 1968 MGB MK 2)

(All our cars and houses are with Shannon's by the way)

Welcome Jason!  Thanks Niko!

My 986 is with AAMI, I have my Subaru with them too.  When I looked around, I found them to be cheaper than NRMA, I do have maximum No Claim Bonus which may skew things.

Hope to see you on some Sydney SMTs soon!

I'm interested to know what value your "maximum no claim bonus" is worth? Is this a consistent value across all insurers?

4x4= Mercedes Geolande Wagen, Toyota Landcruiser 70/80 Series, Landrover defender.Unimog.

Everything else=Expensive way to cart children around. Bring back wagons please. VT-VZ wagon= perfect family car, pay for taxi's much cheaper than a big heavy jones wagon.

I'll get my coat.

4x4= Mercedes Geolande Wagen, Toyota Landcruiser 70/80 Series, Landrover defender.Unimog.

Everything else=Expensive way to cart children around. Bring back wagons please. VT-VZ wagon= perfect family car, pay for taxi's much cheaper than a big heavy jones wagon.

I'll get my coat.

My DD is a fiat 500, I don't like big cars. For the family the issue is to do with child seats, trying to fit 2 capsules (twins) and a maxi (3.5 yo) across the back seat of a med size car is impossible. I had a diesel CX7 previously for Vic (that she loved) so the natural move was towards the CX9 - the Mazda is just for the kids, the fiat is the DD for both Vic & I, shopping, city runs etc. Once the kids are out of their seats I can't wait to get back into a smaller family car! Agree they are too large generally.

Archived