1978 911SC help for information on car.

JEP944

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows the car I am looking to purchase I know it has broken head bolts and it has been previously registered it NSW but I am still waiting on confirmation on that.

It has been painted black original colour is bitter chocolate. If anyone has any information on this car could you please let me know. Thanks in advance. 
Photo of vin in listing.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1978/SSE-AD-6105369/

Whilst I have no info on this car I’m thinking you would want a fair discount from where it is now based on the obvious things. Based on previous PFA threads, the common discount spoken of for imports, LHD or left to right conversions is 15-20% of equivalent condition au cars.

things I would be considering in the purchase decision are

1. LHD/import discount as its measured against the AU delivered car whether it’s fair or not that’s the stick it’s measured against

2. colour change - how good a job was done, when and it’s condition now and is it still showing in tell tale colour change in areas such as parts of engine bay. Discount factor x%

3. head stud can start a slippery slope of other items dependant on when the engine build was done ie top only or split case which is a circa $25k+ job. Would want to see the documentation around the rebuild, when, what was done and who did it. 

4. Condition of other perishables such as suspension and gearbox. PPI

As a recent yard stick my matching number AU 1980 sc coupe (purchased in April) had a split case rebuild by AH 5k prior to my purchase plus a 20yo window/engine out colour change paint job still in great condition (but not original) only needed a suspension refresh which is now done and it runs perfectly.

it was circa 20% more than the advertised price of this car. Not knowing your budget or if you are buying to have a project certainly the research may help, a ppi and a lot of negotiation.

Sorry for the sermon and good luck in your search and purchase

31 minutes ago, Tips said:

Whilst I have no info on this car I’m thinking you would want a fair discount from where it is now based on the obvious things. Based on previous PFA threads, the common discount spoken of for imports, LHD or left to right conversions is 15-20% of equivalent condition au cars.

things I would be considering in the purchase decision are

1. LHD/import discount as its measured against the AU delivered car whether it’s fair or not that’s the stick it’s measured against

2. colour change - how good a job was done, when and it’s condition now and is it still showing in tell tale colour change in areas such as parts of engine bay. Discount factor x%

3. head stud can start a slippery slope of other items dependant on when the engine build was done ie top only or split case which is a circa $25k+ job. Would want to see the documentation around the rebuild, when, what was done and who did it. 

4. Condition of other perishables such as suspension and gearbox. PPI

As a recent yard stick my matching number AU 1980 sc coupe (purchased in April) had a split case rebuild by AH 5k prior to my purchase plus a 20yo window/engine out colour change paint job still in great condition (but not original) only needed a suspension refresh which is now done and it runs perfectly.

it was circa 20% more than the advertised price of this car. Not knowing your budget or if you are buying to have a project certainly the research may help, a ppi and a lot of negotiation.

Sorry for the sermon and good luck in your search and purchase

Thanks Tips.

I think the current owner has realised all these points. the paint is pealing in some areas so it needs a full re spray.

i am going to inspect the engine, gearbox and suspension when it gets to Melbourne.

the interior is poor but repairable.

the main deal breaker for me is any accident or rust issues. (I’m handy one the tools (Porsche tools) and in the spray booth)

i would only value this car in the 35-45k as it sits which works out at current USA prices $20-25k USD plus import costs.

i was hoping to get lucky with someone that knows the car.

JEP944