Wheels..cleaning inner rim

Niko

I spent a few hours today cleaning up the wheels that are going on tomorrow. Although AGR had sort of cleaned them, there was still a lot of stains in the inner rims. After trying a couple of things I thought would work, metho, and wheel cleaner, the stains were still there.

Then I remembered I had seen an email some time ago about WD40 and it's 100 uses. So I thought I would give it a try. SENSATIONAL RESULT. Used a hard nylon hand brush and plenty of WD40.

Wheels came up like new with no abrasive assault on the coating.

Finished them off with soap and water clean up, then Auto Glym mag wheel sealant.

WD40 is worth a try if you are doing those inner wheels.

I knew someone would ask that. I can certainly do the after pics. when I started into them I ended up covered in crap and didn't want to touch the camera. Should have done them before I started. I was gunna. I will post some afters tomorrow.

Thanks Hugh, I really like the wheels, but the proof will be in the pudding tomorrow.

I said when I got this car, I will never change it or play around with it. Leave it as it came out of the factory.

But changing wheels is ok....and then the exhaust.....and then the.......

Uh oh!.......

Looks great Niko. Gee WD40 on the inner guards that looks fantastic and thanks for the sharing the tip guys. My next job is cleaning the inner guards. A job for one of those days between Christmas and new year with the cricket on the radio :D

C

Looks great Niko. Gee WD40 on the inner guards that looks fantastic and thanks for the sharing the tip guys. My next job is cleaning the inner guards. A job for one of those days between Christmas and new year with the cricket on the radio :D

C

Yes, WD40, a plastic scrubbing brush, and then a rinse with a Karcher and normal car shampoo was all it took to get it sparkling clean. You'll also notice that in the top pic, there's lots of little black tar spots all over the inner guards, which are mysteriously all gone after the WD40 session :D

Yeah WD40 is surprisingly good at getting gunk off :)

I was trying to clean off that brown wax that's everywhere under the car. Scrubbing, jetwash, degreaser, nothing would budge it.

Hey B.

That brown waxy stuff is Cosmoline. My 993 is covered in the stuff underneath.

It was part of Porsche rust prevention process and is a complete bastard to get off.

There are threads on Rennlist about this regularly. There was even a competition using the word "Cosmoline".

Tough stuff!!

Hey B.

That brown waxy stuff is Cosmoline. My 993 is covered in the stuff underneath.

It was part of Porsche rust prevention process and is a complete bastard to get off.

There are threads on Rennlist about this regularly. There was even a competition using the word "Cosmoline".

Tough stuff!!

so if Porsche put this cosmoline stuff on our cars, would it not be better to leave it on??

its not like anyone actually looks in the guards, if your car is as low as it should be there should be no room to look in there :D :D

so if Porsche put this cosmoline stuff on our cars, would it not be better to leave it on??

its not like anyone actually looks in the guards, if your car is as low as it should be there should be no room to look in there :D :D

The thing is JJ it's all over everything, even the aluminium components which will never rust.

I have a mate who spent copiuous amounts of hours removing all the Cosmoline from underneath to get the car to concourse level.

I think I'll leave mine be.

The Cosmoline goes everywhere, including all over the brake lines, master cylinder, suspension, and underside of the engine and trans.

Arguably it serves little purpose in sunny and warm Australia, and the stuff that finds its way all the way into the wheelarches is overspray anyway :D The stuff that you want to remain (underside of the sills and floorpan), you don't have to clean off :)

And isn't it nicer when it looks like this :D

9111212.jpg

9111213.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With my SLK, I'd like to get the inside of the rims clean for sale.  Could I leave them on the car, spray the WD40 on the inside of the rim, use a wheel brush for a scrub and then with my 'girl' hands apply the hot soapy wash to the wheels?

Won't damage any brake stuff or anything????

The key to selling a car is all in the presentation.. make sure all the things that you can clean are cleaned BUT not clean in an attempt to hide anything!

Hi A, as long as you can get under the car alright or put it on a hoist. But best position is so you can move the wheel around to get in where the rotors are going to block you. So even carefully jacked up and then on stands with the brakes off.

I am sure by a wheel brush you are meaning a nylon fibre type brush. I used a strong little nail brush.

I have actually just done my old 17" turbos today and put them on EBAY 5 minutes ago.

I also used the nail brush to get the little knobs off from the road that stick on there. So spray with the WD40 let it soak for a few minutes then get in there with the brush. You can use the plastic handle bit to knock/push the little knobs off as you go then go over it with the brush itself.

Just do the one wheel at a time. When finished hot soapy water (car wash type soap) wash the entire wheel both sides then when finished hose of. It is a pr##k of a job. I did it on the wheels off the car I have to say it will be a PITA doing it on the car.

Good idea though for the selling. Good luck...

DSCN4550.jpg

Archived