Rennline LED Headlight Conversion

Adrien

Hi PFA,

I have a 1977 3.0 Carrera and have decided to change the Headlights for the Rennline LEDs. Has anyone else done this? What appears to be a very straight forward 10 minute job has stretched into a couple of days as components don't quite line up. Firstly the lights themselves into the Buckets and then the lenses once wrapped with the supplied gasket don't seem to sit correctly into the light thereby making it impossible for the final ring to be attached. Any hints would be greatly accepted.

• 7 months later...
On 19/05/2020 at 15:00, Adrien said:

Hi PFA,

I have a 1977 3.0 Carrera and have decided to change the Headlights for the Rennline LEDs. Has anyone else done this? What appears to be a very straight forward 10 minute job has stretched into a couple of days as components don't quite line up. Firstly the lights themselves into the Buckets and then the lenses once wrapped with the supplied gasket don't seem to sit correctly into the light thereby making it impossible for the final ring to be attached. Any hints would be greatly accepted.

I am interested to see if you have installed these yet as I am looking at buying a pair also.

• 1 year later...
On 19/05/2020 at 11:17, Cheshire Cat said:

Thanks for sharing! It helped a little bit. I wanted to replace the halogen headlights on my car and make a conversion to LED headlights on my car. I bought the LED light bulbs from https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/ and installed them in my car. I have noticed something is wrong, because the headlight wasn't bright enough. I went to the local car repair shop and found that I needed to replace the whole headlight part because my old ones aren't compatible with the LED light bulbs.

Probably a bit late to this, but if you want custom headlights that you can choose and design with the standard housings a company in Vic do that. You can choose projectors, LED conversions colours and housing colours, you can just keep it simple or go full crazy if you want.

It was about 1.2k last time I checked, but was a few years ago

https://www.iilumolab.com/

On 22/07/2022 at 21:48, MFX said:

Maybe I am just old and grumpy but I can't wait for this horrible fad to end. It is like putting Altezza tail lights on the front of a classic car 😂

I put led's on my hotrod a yr or 2 ago and didnt like the look, didnt like the cool white colour and was blinding cars in front on SMT's i went on. End up changing back to old school lights, warm white, textured light although less bright, but more period, very happy now.

Maybe just old not so grumpy...

🙂

On 22/07/2022 at 21:48, MFX said:

Maybe I am just old and grumpy but I can't wait for this horrible fad to end. It is like putting Altezza tail lights on the front of a classic car 😂

I feel it's very very hit and miss. I normally gawk at them, but have seen some really clean simple designs that someone spent lots of time thinking about and getting just right. I must add it's not common though haha. 

Altezza lights summed up the tuning scene for almost a decade haha. Such good times.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went and made my own using most of the stock parts so there was no problem with fitting as they already fitted the car.
Insanely easy in the end, I made an adapter to fit 7" LED units into the stock housing so they fit an adjust exactly the same as stock. All that happens is the new light unit with the adapter replaces the H4 reflector and bulb, you just transfer the stock rubber grommets from the stock reflector to the tabs on the adapter and put the new unit in. You can customize the look of the lights from stock look to restomod by choosing which light unit you want (from the Australian Stedi range, DOT approved) in combination with either leaving the inner housing frosted silver or paint matt/satin black and use either the stock H4 lens again or clear early Beetle/356 lenses. Once any painting is done and after the light unit swap all is plug and play in 10-15 mins.
As my car is hotrodded a touch I chose the Stedi Carbon Black units, painted the housings black and fitted early clear lenses. Result extremely good, lights align and dip correctly so no blinding other motorists, tested with H4 lenses and is very good then switched to the early clear for the look, slightly crisper beam but some may even prefer the spread of light with the H4 lenses, great either way. 
Cost me approx. $600 to do it. I was concerned about spending mega bucks on some imported ones and there being issues.

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.9bbab1c58e4a5a37f89c4346e7fe2cc4.JPG

IMG_1279.thumb.JPG.460bd8fd0e30b55a81cd7d1f36ce24f1.JPG

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.8055d8bab83224f03460dbc0bf78ebbd.JPG

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.f8710c9e884b1806ce78f000f871aba6.JPG