914-6 Engine For Sale

On 14/08/2020 at 09:02, 9er said:

@reggiegums Is it a correct 914-6 engine, or a 911 engine?

Either way it seems like good buying, are you able to post the engine number and type please?

Its a 914-6 engine. Apparently a quick way to know is where its stamped. Apparently stamped in a different location to 911s.

I'll revert with the engine no. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread, I inherited this engine 6405360 when i bought the 914-6 from @crsedge on here recently.  

It was suggested above that this is a genuine 914-6 2.0L engine which would mean 80mm x 66mm.  But the pistons and cylinders are 90mm bore and heads are from a 2.7, also 90mm bore.  OK, so it has pistons, cylinders and heads from a different engine.  But i just checked and the spigots in the case are 97mm which is for 90mm bore not the small spigots to suit 80mm bore.  

The engine number 6405360 sits within the range of 914-6 engine numbers in stuttcars (see below) so that checks out.  So what have i got?  I assume it must be a genuine 914-6 crankcase that has spigots changed from 92mm to 97mm?

The irony is, prior to pulling it all out to take a look, I was researching what's involved to build it into a short stroke 2.5L by changing spigots in the case and sourcing 90mm cylinders, pistons, heads so it could just be that I'm further down that road than expected. 

Hoping to start the engine build soon but just trying to establish what I've got.  First time I’ve played with Porsche engines.

I guess the last piece of the puzzle is to confirm it is in fact 66mm crank - any tips on how to check visually?

IMG_9167.jpeg

IMG_9165.jpeg

IMG_9164.jpeg

IMG_9161.jpeg

IMG_8889.jpeg

IMG_9176.jpeg