What was your first car. Tell us your story

Great thread. Seen it before but never took the time to read it through. Some great cars and so much enthusiasm. 

My history is very average, but here goes:

1. '73 LJ XU1. Original in that it had the larger fuel tank. The rest, who knows. Bought it circa 1990 and it was quite butchered, but i loved the straight six. 

2. '75 Honda Civic 1500. Probably the most fun i've had with my clothes on. Paid $1K cash and drove it without a care in the world. Thrashed the hell out of it. Fixed it and thrashed it some more. I raced karts for a year and used it to two the trailer, kart and tools. Never failed me. Even when i had a leaking radiator which caused overheating, the car never stopped. The overheating got to the point where i stopped looking at the gauge, and would only pull over when water was spraying on the windscreen. I used to keep 20L of water in the boot and would pull over and use the water to cool the radiator. When it was cool enough to remove the radiator cap, i would fill the radiator and continue my trip. I did that countless times and the alloy head 1500 never stopped. 

3. '92 VP Commodore 5.0L. As a still young guy, you had to have a V8. Enough said. Woeful handling. 

4. 2000 model Type R Integra. Still unsure why i bought it. It was black and looked like a drug dealers car. Handling, ride and cornering was very good. Torque steer not so good. Still loath front drive cars. Very high revving engine with not much torque. Which is interesting because it had enough to create torque steer... Highway cruising was horrible because in 5th at 110km/h it was revving at around 7000.. maybe an exaggeration, but you know what i mean. 

5. '90 BMW 325i. I'm still in love with this car. The shape, the design, the engine, the handling. I could go on. Love it. Circumstance meant i had to sell it. I would like another one day. 

6. '87 Carrera 3.2 G50. Still own it, and a piece of history, in my opinion. 

7. '96 BMW 535i. My daily driver and i'm very happy. Comfortable, powerful, good handling, and i like the looks.. and the sound when it starts..! 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Niko, yep another datto tragic:

First car was a modified Datsun 1600 when I was 17. L18 with single 42DCOE Weber. Wow $3,000 and I'd made it. I'd been dreaming of driving for years and loved rallying. Got my licence on my 18th birthday and immediately headed with the boys to bonnie doon. One miserable day (too wet for waterskiing) we went "rally" driving. Suffice to say having had a licence 6 days, little talent or experience and a grunty datto with my mates egging me on, it ended in tears. Faster and faster through a series of gravel sweepers ended with a double barrel roll and my pride and joy was no more. Luckily no major injuries but picking windscreen glass out of our legs for weeks afterward.

So began a long history of car ownership punctuated by several Dattos and recently a couple of porches. Here goes:

Yep, a good DATTO will do that :D

Wow, what a great thread! I'd better add my lot:

1963 (?) VW Beetle 1300 Custom (frog green)

1973 Toyota Celica ST (Jap grey import with 2TG twin cam engine)

1974 Toyota Celica LT (Aus del with imported 2TG fitted)

1985 Alfa GTV6 (red of course)

1999 Subaru Liberty Wagon (metallic purple)

1999 Audi A3 1.8T

1974 911 Carrera 2.7

2009 Audi A4 2.0T quattro avant 

1990 BMW M5 (E34) (Current)

1977 911

It's interesting to see many others who started with VWs and now run Porsches. Some of us don't stray too far form our roots...

It's interesting to see many others who started with VWs and now run Porsches. Some of us don't stray too far form our roots...

Yep, there were two VW type 3's in my collection, one of them was a white '73 wagon which I bought in 1982, this thing could do 100mph all day and went like a scalded cat with hot chilly sauce on its bottom.

Somewhere I have pictures of it at one of the Porsche NSW concourse days when they were held at Vaucluse House.

I sold it to my bro in 1988 and he kept it till 2013.

• 1 year later...

I had 2 cars before I got my licence. 65 XP Falcon in coupe and sedan form, but my first car I drove was a black 67 Fairmont for the princely sum of $150!

A string of fords followed for many years before I went German, now just need to get one from the other Stuttgart car company!

1. 65 XP Falcon sedan

2. 65 XP Coupe - converted to 5sp

3. 67 XR Fairmont, first car I drove

4. 84 Mercury Capri in the US

5. 86 ZL Fairlane

6. 92 EB Falcon wagon

7. 96 EL Falcon

8. 00 AU Falcon.....!

9. VU Holden ute, I "crossed" over

10. 05 Subaru Forester, nice car but very dull

11. 97 Mercedes E320 Avantgarde - Green Black

12. 66 Mercedes 250 S - Graphite Grey

13. 66 Mercedes 250 S - Abrabian Grey

14. 67 Mercedes 250 S - Weiss

15. WILL be a 928...!! 2005 Mercedes ML 350 Silver

16. 1983 Porsche 928 S Ruby Red

Still have 11, 13 and 14

Plus had numerous race bikes - motocross and road racing, and throw in a Formula Vee - great fun!!

Well number 15 was not the 928, had to use that spot for my Mercedes ML 350 2005. Car number 16 is my 928 :P

Now I only have the ML and 928, some of the rest (13 and 14) gone off to Tazzieman :)

7. '96 BMW 535i. My daily driver and i'm very happy. Comfortable, powerful, good handling, and i like the looks.. and the sound when it starts..! 

So you're the other one?  Unless you have a late e34 and not an early e39?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived