What was your first car. Tell us your story

Nice variety of cars again, looks like your also a sooby fan.

And yeah sure we really do believe you about the Hybrid, sure we do. Although if it is a company car who cares.

It has 50/50 weight distribution and is quite quick. Steering feel is non existant though...........does some great 4 wheel drifts and is a neutral handler. But yeah, its still a POS Camry.

450SEL : Awesome. Was it the 6.9?

My old man sold his Carrera 3.0 to get his 450 SEL 6.9. I remember looking at the speedo from the back seat and it was off the dial.............Mum and my brother were asleep...........I wasn't, 260 KM/H in 1978, on a public road(well it was reading 270; off the dial so I will be conservative and say 260!!). I was hooked at 6 Years of age...............

450SEL 6.9 is the ultimate and I have been searching for a long time to get a good one............Almost bought one at a Shannons auction back in 2005, was outbid by 1k..........I thought 35k was too much to pay........

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My old man sold his Carrera 3.0 to get his 450 SEL 6.9. I remember looking at the speedo from the back seat and it was off the dial.............Mum and my brother were asleep...........I wasn't, 260 KM/H in 1978, on a public road(well it was reading 270; off the dial so I will be conservative and say 260!!). I was hooked at 6 Years of age...............

450SEL 6.9 is the ultimate and I have been searching for a long time to get a good one............Almost bought one at a Shannons auction back in 2005, was outbid by 1k..........I thought 35k was too much to pay........

every 6.9 i drove felt old, my 4.5 went better than some of the tired ones i drove. i do miss them though, long distance cross country drives were so comfortable, and you felt very safe

$35k is way too much! i know of a nice one that went for $12k

every 6.9 i drove felt old, my 4.5 went better than some of the tired ones i drove. i do miss them though, long distance cross country drives were so comfortable, and you felt very safe

$35k is way too much! i know of a nice one that went for $12k

Yes, due to the Hydro-pneumatic suspension leaking its gas away they get a really horrible feel to the way they drive. For years this was a big expense to put right, you can now buy new spheres for the suspension for about USD$200 each.

The other thing he did was to de-shim the heads, they were de-tuned for the Oz market to only 260bhp(still buckets of torque though; Final drive ratio was 2:60) So de-shimming increased the compression ratio, removing the smog gear also helped.ALOT.

hey Presto a euro spec 6.9 making in excess of 300BHP.............We used to go out for sunday cruises and he'd 'drag' dudes in GT's and Monaro's..........it would just eat them.........

35k was the Car Dealer Reg Hunts old car it had done less than 50k km's and was the same spec as my old mans. White with velour interior and heated seats. + it had the euro-spec conversion as well.......and a suspension rebuild. The invoice and history folder was massive. I bid to 34k and that was 4k more than I wanted to............I was on my honeymoon and the Mrs was getting ansie.........Can't think why?

Special cars though, iconic in fact. Back when Mercedes built cars like Bank Vaults. The Bores had diamond dust in them for petes sake!!

Still want one, just need to find the right one again.........

Off topic but I will list the cars that I am going to obtain before I stop breathing :

MB 450 SEL 6.9

BMW E34 M5 (Old man had one of these as well)

Ur Audi Quattro 20V 1987

1965-1968 912 Porsche

1996 911 993 C2

E30 M3 BMW

MB 190e 2.3 16V Cosworth (Evo if possible)

MB G Wagon of some descroprion.

That'll do it for now.... <_<

SHAME ON YOU.

S H A M E.

:lol:

I know! My excuse was that the MX-5 was just way way way out of my league $ wise!

I put 100,00km on the first one in like 2 years. Drove the hell out of it... used to do Kilmore > CBD for work > home and then back to CBD > home to go out and party! It was actually a very reliable car, yes the roof leaked but under warranty they replaced all the seals and it was fine.

Not till this thread had I actually sat down to think about the cars I have had To my surprise I have gone through a few cars.......

1989 - '82 Datsun 200B Aspen Two Tone Blue - My p plate car!!!!! It was indestructible

1993 - '91 Nissan Skyline Silhouette Gunmetal Grey - loved the afterburner rear end :) - The only car I made money on bought it for $14K and traded it in for $15.5K in 1996

1995 - '95 Mazda MX6 Noble Green - My First NEW car!!!!!

1998 - '98 ('97 Aug) 993 Arctic Silver Cab - Tip - My first true German love

1999 - EL Falcon - to make clients happy and drove the 993 less

2001 - '02 996.2 Basalt Black 6MT Cab

2005 - '05 Audi A6 3.0 TD - transition to a family car - never thought that would happen!

Since 2001 I have also been fortunate enough to have access to the Holden range of cars and changed over every 5K Kms so I went through:

Astra

Astra SRi

Astra Cabriolet

Vectra CDi

VZ Commodore range - usually SS or Calais

VE Commodore range - Calais V sedan and sportswagon

VZ and VE SS Utes

WM Statesman and Caprice

Monaro CV8

Also got to drive a Cadillac CTS but unfortunately the import program was cancelled and that didnt last.

Our Audi was written off in a high impact/speed accident on the Tulla if it weren't an Audi I hazard a guess it would have had fatalities. In the next week or so I hope to be taking delivery of my 991S Cab and getting back into the German love........ Also in Feb I am downgrading my Calais V V8 to a Cruze SRiV Hatch for fun.....

Regards

Arthur

Very impressive list Arthur K. It is surprising as to what cars you/we have gone through over the years.

I Love the progression of Holdens from "timid to monster"

Agree with your NISSAN SKYLINE (and a silhouette to boot), great cars.

Fortunate enough to have had a company car SKYLINE with the big tail lights once upon a time (but not the silhouette) Loved it and it went like stink, also unbreakable

And not a FORD CRAPI amongst it.

Good job.

Niko I surprised myself when I started going through it. It's amazing how each one of them has it's own purchasing/sale stories. I have enjoyed each and every one of them for different reasons. For instance I never learnt to drive stick so my now wife and then friend taught me to drive stick prior to picking up the MX6. The 993 was a six month saga finding it even though it was a current model. My heart was set on a polar silver cab but it never eventuated. Then on the day of the purchase I couldn't take it home as no one would insure me due to my age! Eventually DGA insured me and I could take my baby home.

My favorite holden other than the obvious V8s was the Astra SRi of the mid 2000s nice little throw around car. I remember doing handbrake turns into my driveway. I swear the neighbours thought we were drug dealers with the number of different cars my wife would bring home. Even had the (dis)pleasure of driving a Cadillac XLR. A beast but the interior felt like a lounge room. I have my wife to thank for spoiling me with the constant rate of rotation.

Not really my first car...Kingswod station wagon. Brown. Parents car. Occasional late night "learner" driving practice. First time ever seeing a 911 was looking out through the tail gate seeing a bug eyed tangerine thing bearing down at speed. On passing, slackjawed asked pah what was....a porsche son

1970 honda z360. Purple air cooled 9,000 rpm!

1972 z360. Dark green water cooled (9,000rpm!!!) facelift model GSS.... Want to buy them back

1969 mazda bongo. Yellow of course. Where it wouldnt go and wasnt made to do...

1975 datsun 240k. Yellow. - Want it back

1964 austin mini super deluxe with all the fruit. Twin SU, 1310, "s" brakes, sliding windows, cable pull door release...hydrolastic susp. French blue body white roof. Sellers remorse

1968 mazda 1500 ss. White Second owner. Crashed rebuilt gave it to brother in law

1982 holden WB ute brother in law gave it to me for an akubra on leaving oz. floor fell out of it driving the nerriga road to nowra

1985 alfa 33 sportwagon. Great part time awd system could be engaged while driving at speed. Lovely borbet wheels and most expensive ever alternator naively purchased.

1990 rodeo ute

1987 alfa 33 sportwagon. Stolen.

1977 alfa berlina 2000. Mustard yellow. Optioned with webasto roof. Inadvertently Sold with my fave trip mix tape in it

1996 hilux. Twincab

1968 fiat 124AC coupe. Red 3rd owner. Sold to mate.trying to buy back

2x1969 124AC's.

1999 subaru forester gt. lux pack. Current.

2000 hilux twincab

2007 hilux twincab

2007 peugeot 407 touring 2.7 hdi

1967 912 polo red. Current

2008. Peugeot 307 touring 2.0 hdi current

1970 dodge At4 ." ute back" . light truck v8 318 on gas. 7 year old Ava still misses truck-a-saurus

1971 911 t silver. Current. For sale.

1965 912. Light ivory. Will be when resto starts/ finishes. Current.

Lotus 7 early second series. Inherited. In bits n pieces. Current.

1968 912. Polo red. In parts. Current

Hi Michel, another nice variety. Datsun 240K one of my favourites, never had the pleasure of owning one unfortunaltely.

Your Mini sounds like fun a 1310 (Standard?/non standard?) is a big donk I think from memory, 1275? for the cooper S's?

A Nice bunch of current P cars as well. Lotus 7 might scratch a couple of itches too if you get that up and running.

You should be eligible for a fleet owner's discount for your Porsche parts.

Thanks for sharing.

Purchased my first car 6 months before I was old enough to get my learners permit, almost wore tracks in the driveway going up and down it, so here's mine.....

1970 LC GTR Torana, stolen and recovered, was written off by the insurance company, had it for two and a half years, was replaced by a.......

1972 LJ GTR XU-1 Torana which I have now owned for over 33 years,

1973 Holden HQ wagon.....work car

1973 Holden HQ ute

1988 VL sedan...family car

1995 VR Acclaim....family car

2002 Subaru Liberty B4....great, great family car

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer VRX.....family car

1991 Ford Laser Ghia

2005 Holden VZ Storm ute

2005 Ford FPV F6 Typhoon, my daily driver

1987 911 Carrera 3.2

Not as many as some but an interesting mix of makes.

Regards....Dominic

Nice selection Dom... Be nice see a piccy of the XU1. Agree with your B4 great everything car..

2005...what happened there...a FORD in the mix..

I have a mate who is a tad older than me (and that is old) who purchased this XU1 brand new when he got out of the army back in 1971.

The car has 45,000 miles on the clock from memory. It sat in a garage up for many years and he then moved it to his garage in 2005. On the occasisions I have popped in for a cool drink it is still there with nothing being done. I have offered him everything I can think of to get it from him. but he will not give it up.

The photos do not do it justice, it is in very good nick, paint would certainly need re doing as it is just faded out, but everything is great and works and fully original

No rust. The only thing he had to change was the windscreen washer set up with a new switch or something, you probably know more as to why he had to do that

03-04-05CampbellJOHNSXU120092_zps45bfce90.jpg

03-04-05CampbellJOHNSXU120093_zpse5458ea9.jpg

Love to have that one..

cheers Dom, thanks for sharing.

Seeing as I have some time between doing things at work and not doing anything I'll list some of the cars I've had. Not really in order but close,more just as they come to mind.

RX2 sedan. Mild port then secondary bridge port.

Datsun 1600. 2ltr webers. Rego'ed dirt rally car.

RX3 Sedan. 12a turbo mild port.

808 coupe. Bridgeport that never ran well lol. Sold in 2 weeks

S1 RX7. Stock with wheels.

VW Baja bug. Lots of mods.Heaps of fun.

VB SLE 5ltr. Light mods.

VJ Charger. 6 pack floor shifting fun.

Datsun 1600. L18 single weber.

Navara Extra cab 2WD. 2ltr webers. Dirt bike hauler.

Pulsar SSS. Stock.

Mercedes 230D. Ex Peruvian embassy. Stock other than being Bullet proof and realy realy heavy.

VR SS. More bogan than I could handle sold quickly to other more overt bogans.

Celica ST162. Stock

AW11 MR2. Mostly stock.Lots of fun

SWB FJ40. 351 with 200 shot of NO2. Wheelstand up sand dunes fun.

Holden 1 tonner. 355 stroker.

VC SLE. Stock 253.

VU SS ute. 411rwhp LS1 lots of mods. AFAIK still the fastest "cam only" LS1 in Australia at 11.20@124mph.

Pajero Io. Stock. Great little 4x4.

GT Forester. Few mods lots of boost.

VTII HSV Clubsport R8. Few light mods.

Datsun 1600. 12a P.P the roof was about the only stock thing on it.

Jeep Wrangler. Lots of mods.

MX5. The wifes I swear I only drove it twice!

1/2 of a Red VN Steamwolf and I buit as a challange on P.F. Ran 12.4 for less than $900 including buying the car lol.

XR6T. 436rwhp lots of mods and very dull to drive. Now the wifes car but soon to be sold off.

Ha Ha you are unbelievable Uncle. What a list. Bit of everything in there.

Surprisingly no VW beetle in there. Thought that would have been a monty for you for some reason.

3 Datto 1600/P510's love it. Greatest car ever put on this earth for bang for your buck..

This thread has really revealed the dark/not so dark past of some members.

Thanks for sharing those

mine was a 72 1600 VW Superbug. Had a ball in it and become very familiar with oversteer on the dirt roads around the country town in which I lived at that time.

Spent many weekends driving up to Mt Hotham in the winter, ploughing through think snow with ease, with the weight over the rear wheels providing great grip, flush underbelly as a smooth sliding sled and using the front wheels as rudders!

mine was a 72 1600 VW Superbug. Had a ball in it and become very familiar with oversteer on the dirt roads around the country town in which I lived at that time.

Spent many weekends driving up to Mt Hotham in the winter, ploughing through think snow with ease, with the weight over the rear wheels providing great grip, flush underbelly as a smooth sliding sled and using the front wheels as rudders!

Sold her for a Pug 205 Gti (fantastic go kart) followed by a Pug 306 S16 (very smooth and fantastic handling), another Pug 205 Gti (missed the first one!), a Pug 206 Gti 180 (disappointed), a Hilux Ute (when renovating at home), then finanlly to my current Renault Megane Sport Cup & 911.

THose superbugs used to fly and unbreakable.,

I had a1500S I used to drag that one would you believe, well actually it was more of a stroll down Calder Park strip. 1969/70.

untitledevent-24067_zpsd15ef102.jpg

untitledevent-24068_zps418b14a3.jpg

My first wife wrote it off while I was overseas in late 1970, I was peed off, I loved that car. She actually wiped the front of it, had it repaired but it was never the same.

Just for example how times have changed. The wifes XR should run around 11.80 or 11.90's@120 odd MPH without a problem and do it run after run all day every day. I've limited the power to the low 400's not because it wont make more but to protect the auto box so I dont have to work on it... ever.

Also the 12.52@127.47 is a JZ80 supra time lol. Spells slow 60 foot and good horsepower in whatever Ford Max Agius was running.

That's very impressive for the XR6T I have been told they are much better and quicker than the 8's.

Your right the times that can be achieved now are unreal, and yours is a street car your talking about.

I just googled up Max and found this against the same name, no idea what it is

He was also one of the founding members of the VICTORIAN DRAG RACERS CLUB. So he obviously knew what he was doing. HARROP and ORMSBY also legends

563129_10150836767526013_1065554192_n_zpsad910ef7.jpg

Hi Michel, another nice variety. Datsun 240K one of my favourites, never had the pleasure of owning one unfortunaltely.

Your Mini sounds like fun a 1310 (Standard?/non standard?) is a big donk I think from memory, 1275? for the cooper S's?

A Nice bunch of current P cars as well. Lotus 7 might scratch a couple of itches too if you get that up and running.

You should be eligible for a fleet owner's discount for your Porsche parts.

Thanks for sharing.

T

Mini had the 1275 taken out to 1310... Typical go fast mod. Had the pleasure of having it worked on and maintained by Col Ogilvie. Was one of the key BMC mechanics during the 60's Bathurst assaults

Archived