Boxster Hard Top

Caver

To buy or not to buy???

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1423.l2649

Probably a question for Niko. Do you use your hard top much? Is it worth buying or is it an unnecessary gimmick? How hard is it to install? Do you really need the special storage framework?

Gotta love the sellers comment..."Don't miss out on this rare part"...I think it should read "I hope I don't miss out on this rare buyer". I don't think there are too many owners of blue 986s out there looking for a hard top?

I remember having one for my MX5. It was great in Winter months, stiffened up the car and provided superior visibility out the back. I think the biggest hassle is storing them so they dont' get damaged and also requiring a helping hand to take them on and off.

I'll let Niko chime in with his expertise now...

there is a setup to store them in the roof of your garage and help remove them from the car.. I can't remember what it's called though

EDIT: quick google shows a few different ones, most manual (but i remember seeing an electronic lift one)

Mate, I would go for it, I paid $2300 for mine plus a fitting kit for (near enough to $200.00)inc a Harness (wiring loom) for demister

Then I had to get it painted. I probably paid too much for it but it was through a dealer and supposedly brand new and never used.

(WELTMEISTER)

I reckon the Boxster's look really different and in a good way with one fitted.

I would certainly jump on it.

Sorry mate didn't answer your question. It is on all winter, it is a pain to put on, as it is a little too heavy for one person (not like an MX5) so I have to get my missus to give me a hand to take it on and off. Some guys hook up a lift set up in the garage so you just lower it on, on a hoist/rope type set up. I just noticed Russ has mentioned the sort of thing I am talking about. Good idea if you have the space etc in your garage to hook one up.

I just place mine on the garage floor with the window end facing down and leaning up against the wall. On carpet and covered. No problems with it and I have been doing that for about four years I think

Thanks Ian...I'll consider it.

Does the installation require removal of the soft top or does hard top just go over the soft top in stowed position?

No mate easy peasy. Lower the soft top and plonk the new one on..A pin on either side of the hardtop slides into a slot just behind the doors. You should have a plastic plug in there on yours now. That just lever pops out. When hard top not in use pop them back in. The big lever on the hard top clicks in over the interior mirror, and if it hasn't got one with it, you can get a nice plastic cover that tidies that area up and just clicks in.When the top has been lowered on you have a lever handle either side. You just turn that clockwise from memory for a short distance and it locks the roof down in place.Job Done, Bob's your Uncle. Only down side is you may get a few little squeaks rubber on rubber type squeaks.WELTMEISTER put some goo on the rubbers and told me it would stop that, but the goo was messy crap and I ended up wiping it all off. Hope that helps you decide. I love the H/Tops whole new perspective on the car, and that colour of yours will look great.

Mate jump on it ASAP.

The other good thing is if you happen to go away with the hard top on for a few days and your staying in the one place.

The weather turns good, rip the H/top off stick it in your room, and your back to normal.

Best of both worlds.

Sorry Ian, I'm going to disappoint you. I'm not going to bid for it.

On reflection, I would very rarely use it and it would take up a lot of storage space. It doesn't get as cold in Sydney during winter as it does in Melbourne. I've already driven my car here in Winter. The heater is phenomenal!

Also, it's a very early model of the hard top. Have a look at the pictures, there are some extra "plates" on each side, just behind the side window. These don't appear on any other picture of a hard top that I've seen. I read on the web that Porsche updated the hard tops, so I don't want a first generation. Plus the seller mentions that there is a dent in it which may or may not be repairable by the paintless dent removal guys.

So I'm going to let it go. Unless no one bids on it. I made email contact with the seller a couple of days ago. If he doesn't get any bids, he might message me back and ask for an offer. That's the only way I'd buy it. Can't really justify the cost for something which I'd very rarely use.

That's fair enough David. You make a couple of good points, i didn't realise there was two different generation tops. Mine does have the plates, not sure what their purpose is actually.

Be nice if you can get it at the right price if it doesn't sell

• 3 months later...

Archived