Ohlins DFV adjustable Coilovers ...any good? Extra bit...

Mudgeeman

Hi everyone,

I experienced a failed LHS front strut that will need replacing. I like to keep my 996 relatively stock but am tempted by these Ohlins as they allow a range of heights/tune for street , twists and track. Has anyone here tried them?  The all up price is 2033 GBP and 175GBP shipping. This is significantly cheaper than Australian equivalents and I have been very happy with Ohlins equipment in the past.. 

Blurb from Design 911 website UK:

The Öhlins Road & Track range for Porsche covers a major part of all 996 and 997 models with kits for all needs. It's a kit designed for track day use and club racing but with the DFV technology it also offers superb handling and comfort on the way to and from the tracks.

The Road & Track kit with DFV technology is a kit now developed with Porsche specific settings. The DFV technology acts like a high and low speed blow off valve and with adjustable compression and rebound the days of compromise are over.
This kit works surprisingly well on the road as well as at high speed on racing tracks, whether it is trackdays or racing. The settings have been developed using both shake rigs and testing by racing drivers to make sure the Öhlins DNA is present.

These kits are in a light weight design with most of the parts in aluminium and have been corrosion tested and comes with a two year limited warranty. They are also TÜV approved.

This kit is especially developed for high end racing and also TÜV approved.

Technical Info: 
DFV (Dual Flow Valve)
Rebuildable
Corrosion salt spray tested (ISO 9227)
2 year Limited Warranty
Height adjustable
20 mm lower than standard

Front Shocks: 
McPherson Strut
Single bleed adjuster
Spring preload adjuster
Coil Springs
Dustcovers
Use with original top mounts

Rear Shocks: 
Conventional Shock Absorber
Single bleed adjuster
Spring preload adjuster
Coil Springs
Dustcovers

Fits:
Porsche 996 C2

Edited by Mudgeeman
I missed a bit of info in my first post

There were rumours about trouble with rebuild and local service, but the Ohlins shocks are awesome.

Have you looked at the local Shockworks guys. I know a efw that have used them and loved them and the local service too. I'm deciding between them and AST as teh AST's are taking SOOOOOOOO long...

I have had a set on my EVO X. They are a good shock especially for the price. Still a bit of compromise as the compression damping (both low and high speed) is a bit soft which is good for the road. I would call them a track capable road shock. Steve Cramer Products was the Australian dealer but they are no longer and last I checked there was no Australian dealer for Ohlins car products. I am hoping Ohlins will find one soon as they make excellent products. I have a set of TPX,TTX on another EVO X.

2 hours ago, 911CSR said:

There were rumours about trouble with rebuild and local service, but the Ohlins shocks are awesome.

Have you looked at the local Shockworks guys. I know a efw that have used them and loved them and the local service too. I'm deciding between them and AST as teh AST's are taking SOOOOOOOO long...

I am one of a handful of 996 turbo/ 996 c4s customers registered with ohlins that were subject to a world wide do not drive your car recall notice on olhins road and track coilovers  ( front struts) just before christmas.  My kit purchased from a uk supplier sat in a box for over 4 years and before christmas last year got around   to putting them on my car.  My car did a whole 25m  being moved around a workshop before they  got  the recall note.  Note the recall  was only on certain models. Ohlins  were pretty good after I complained to the parent company on the lack of service for kits pourchased via Uk suppliers compared to US customers.   They paid for pulling the front struts out, having their replacement struts kit and elephant racing front top mountss ( part of the recall fix) installed plus a wheel alignment. 

I read rumours around short life spans / servicing and thought i do bugger all k's a year gor any of that to be an issue.  Very happy with the setup over stock.  BUT I am not a subscriber to putting coilovers on a car without having adjustability eg camber and toe  Eg the ohlins kit was only part of the setup.  eg complimented  with lower adjustable gt3 control arms, adjustable   gt3 rear sway bar.  Adjustable rear toe links and custom swar  bar links.  

35 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I have had a set on my EVO X. They are a good shock especially for the price. Still a bit of compromise as the compression damping (both low and high speed) is a bit soft which is good for the road. I would call them a track capable road shock. Steve Cramer Products was the Australian dealer but they are no longer and last I checked there was no Australian dealer for Ohlins car products. I am hoping Ohlins will find one soon as they make excellent products. I have a set of TPX,TTX on another EVO X.

I have it on good  authority that ohlins parent are looking for a distributor in Oz after dealing  with them on their worldwide recall on their R and T coilover kit for 996 turbos / 996 c4s. 

3 hours ago, Mudgeeman said:

Hi everyone,

I experienced a failed LHS front strut that will need replacing. I like to keep my 996 relatively stock but am tempted by these Ohlins as they allow a range of heights/tune for street , twists and track. Has anyone here tried them?  The all up price is 2033 GBP and 175GBP shipping. This is significantly cheaper than Australian equivalents and I have been very happy with Ohlins equipment in the past.. 

Blurb from Design 911 website UK:

The Öhlins Road & Track range for Porsche covers a major part of all 996 and 997 models with kits for all needs. It's a kit designed for track day use and club racing but with the DFV technology it also offers superb handling and comfort on the way to and from the tracks.

The Road & Track kit with DFV technology is a kit now developed with Porsche specific settings. The DFV technology acts like a high and low speed blow off valve and with adjustable compression and rebound the days of compromise are over.
This kit works surprisingly well on the road as well as at high speed on racing tracks, whether it is trackdays or racing. The settings have been developed using both shake rigs and testing by racing drivers to make sure the Öhlins DNA is present.

These kits are in a light weight design with most of the parts in aluminium and have been corrosion tested and comes with a two year limited warranty. They are also TÜV approved.

This kit is especially developed for high end racing and also TÜV approved.

Technical Info: 
DFV (Dual Flow Valve)
Rebuildable
Corrosion salt spray tested (ISO 9227)
2 year Limited Warranty
Height adjustable
20 mm lower than standard

Front Shocks: 
McPherson Strut
Single bleed adjuster
Spring preload adjuster
Coil Springs
Dustcovers

Rear Shocks: 
Conventional Shock Absorber
Single bleed adjuster
Spring preload adjuster
Coil Springs
Dustcovers

Fits:
Porsche 996 C2

Each to their own,  but I like to give a wheel aligner  some flexibility to have  both camber and toe adjustibility after  whacking on coilovers on a car and dropping the ride height.  ( install adjustible lower control arms all round and rear adjustible toe links and sway bar links)    Eg  reduce premature tyre wear.  Night and day difference in terms of ride height look ( no 4x4 look) and huge difference behind the wheel.  But as noted spent more again over the coilovers on complimentary parts.  

47 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Each to their own,  but I like to give a wheel aligner  some flexibility to have  both camber and toe adjustibility after  whacking on coilovers on a car and dropping the ride height.  ( install adjustible lower control arms all round and rear adjustible toe links and sway bar links)    Eg  reduce premature tyre wear.  Night and day difference in terms of ride height look ( no 4x4 look) and huge difference behind the wheel.  But as noted spent more again over the coilovers on complimentary parts.  

I would go as far as to say never lower a vehicle without knowing what you are doing to the front and rear roll centre's. More often than not you will need roll center correction parts to get the best result. Or go as stiff as possible to minimise the ill effects of bad roll centre's.