Boxster Onboard Computer Activation

Caver

I've been reading some forums recently where it's stated that the Boxster onboard computer is installed in every car, but is unavailable unless it is specifically activated. 

Additionally, some form of switching is required to cycle through the functions.  This is normally handled by a control stalk on the steering column, however, some sites suggest that this can be subsituted with a rocker switch installed into one of the blank positions in the dash or centre console.

Does anyone have any experience of this modification?  There are plenty of "hack" sites explaining the process, so I'm pretty comfortable with doing the wiring side of things.

Just James are you there?  Do you know if Hamilton's can activate the OBC for me?  Cost?  :o

I'd be guessing, but sounds like to OBD port to me. All you would be looking at is EMS data etc. You won't be turning on the auto fly mode or 007 sub mode but you could look at real time data and fault codes etc. Unless there is an auto fly mode and in that case I am going to buy a Boxster and its prolly a little cheaper than the ME500 that I want.

From what I've read, it accesses extra dashboard displays such as external temperature, plus fuel consumption, kilometres remaining in tank, average speed.

However, Uncle, you do have me wondering about an ejector seat... <_<

Thanks James & Grant.  (Just had a quick word with Grant)

I've even found the keystroke sequence to input in the diagnostic computer, which does the OBC activation.

I have a steering column OBC control wand on it's way over.  Once I install it, I'll get in touch with you gentlemen.  The car is about due for a service, so I'll book it in and you can have a look at it. From what I've read, the activation takes all of 3 minutes.

Stay tuned Forum buddies for an entry in "What did you do to your Porsche today?" thread.  :)

• 1 month later...

Well...after fussing around with control stalks and wiring looms, I finally had the OBC activated yesterday when the car went in for service.  The lads at Hamilton's had no problems switching it on.

Some useful features are now available and some not so important.  Nice little modification and worth the fuss.

Nothing so elegant Amanda...just the ability to switch to some extra functions which are generally taken as standard these days.  Average Speed, Average fuel consumption, Distance remaining in fuel tank, External air temperature, Speed limit warning.  It was a good little exercise.  The hardware is present in every car...but unless you specify it (and pay for it) when ordering the car, it's never activated.  I learned about the "upgrade" from searching online for "Boxster Hacks" as the Americans love to call them.  Real value??? No...I could live without all of them...but that's not the point.  It was fun to see the project through.  I did the installation and wiring myself, just needed the Porsche Diagnostic tool to do the activation, so I waited for the next service.

I like the "Distance remaining in tank" and "External air temperature" functions.  I like to hunt down little known features of the car and to modify them.  I've just found out that there is a way of changing the brightness of the "environment" lights.  These are a couple of amber LEDs secreted around the Boxster cabin, which highlight the centre console and light switches.  They are very, very subtle and only visible in complete darkness.  Might play with that over Easter...sad life eh??

Not sad at all! I call it a hobby :)

I also think its interesting to see what additions you can make easily that P would have charged a bomb for when ordering the car new.

I did it with my GTI. Added the Rns510 sat Nav for $900 when VW charge thousands.

Yes mine has the Fuel Remaining feature and Temp I haven't noticed the led cabin lights Caver?

Where are they situated?

In my car, which is an '03, there are two amber leds which are illuminated as long as the car is unlocked.  One is at the front edge of the drivers door handle and projects onto the dash mounted headlight switch.  The other is in the overhead cabin light and shines directly downwards to the centre console, dash and gear shift.  They are very subtle and are only visible at night, when the interior lights are off.

DM, you mention that you already have the OBC functions, you must have a 4th control stalk on the steering column then?

Nothing so elegant Amanda...just the ability to switch to some extra functions which are generally taken as standard these days.  Average Speed, Average fuel consumption, Distance remaining in fuel tank, External air temperature, Speed limit warning.  It was a good little exercise.  The hardware is present in every car...but unless you specify it (and pay for it) when ordering the car, it's never activated.  I learned about the "upgrade" from searching online for "Boxster Hacks" as the Americans love to call them.  Real value??? No...I could live without all of them...but that's not the point.  It was fun to see the project through.  I did the installation and wiring myself, just needed the Porsche Diagnostic tool to do the activation, so I waited for the next service.

Hi Caver,

I have this function in my car (with the control stalk) although I have never noticed the Speed limit warning -thanks for pointing that out.

Seen those USA hack forums & been very tempted to do the exhaust mod.

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/19770-diy-exhaust-mod-%96-gain-10-hp.html

Thanks NIX!  Not sure about the exhaust mod...I wouldn't be too keen about drilling my muffler.  Let me know if you do.

Hi Caver,

I have this function in my car (with the control stalk) although I have never noticed the Speed limit warning -thanks for pointing that out.

The "over speed" warning chime is a bit of a laugh.  If I set it at 110 kph, I can't hear it.  The funniest thing about it is that you can set the speed value up to 300 kph!  Yeah...let's do that...I'll definitely need a reminder when I hit 300 clicks!!!

Seriously, though, if you are in and around school zones a lot, then it might be good to set it at 40 or 50 kph...otherwise, just turn it off.

Thanks NIX!  Not sure about the exhaust mod...I wouldn't be too keen about drilling my muffler.  Let me know if you do.

Im not to keen about drilling holes in the muffler either, thats the only reason I havent done it............. yet!!

Although I doubt I will.

If you get into the menu via the 4th control stalk, you can select some different readouts which are displayed

near the digital speedo.

From memory you can have either radio stations or clock display.

The best way is to get in there and have a play.

If you get into trouble, there is a reset function.

I noticed mine used to display the radio station just above the digital speedo, not there now, any clues where it went?

Sorry, don't know anything about how the 987s behave...as "eightyone911" says...just scroll through the menus.  They're all a bit different.

• 4 months later...

Anyone with a 986 contemplating doing an On Board Computer upgrade may be interested in this ebay listing which I've just found:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-1997-On-Board-Computer-Control-Switch-J042/380664473321?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17395%26meid%3D909837223971306960%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D8099%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D181202426899%26

It's the computer control stalk...very rare to find one for sale on its own.  Normally, you have to buy the entire cluster.  Located in Australia too!

The upgrade which I did to my car introduced the following functions:

• External air temperature
  • Average speed
  • Average fuel consumption
  • Kilometres remaining in tank
  • Speed exceeded gong

I find the average fuel consumption and kilometres remaining in tank to be very useful.  It's not a difficult hack, but does require some delicate work around the instrument binnacle, plus you'll need a dealer with a PSWIS tool to activate the computer.

I'm very happy with the result.

Can't wait to give this a try. I have a stalk that I need to remove from a console and install into mine. Then off to the dealer to have it come alive.

Not quite as simple as that...there's some wiring to do also.  Get onto Google and look up "Boxster OBC Hack".  You'll find plenty of notes there.  One thing I can tell you, it's possible to install the control stalk WITHOUT removing the steering wheel.

Archived