996 Rear centre console painting

Sherpa

My rear centre console is showing it’s age (and the jewellery nicks and scratches of its previous owner). I’m going to get it resprayed in either satin black or match the body’s seal grey (in gloss).

Has anyone here does this or had it done by a paint shop? If so, how’d you remove the soft-touch surface?

Acetone will take the gooey surface off. Then 800 grit the plastic surface.  There are specific 2k plastic primers to use (think bumpers), and then the clear over base finish (seal grey + gloss clear coat).  I'm personally a fan of the colour coded look - go with Seal Grey.

Not sure if you ruled out going back to the original because of how damaged it is, but there's a product by color bond called LVP refinisher that a lot of the 996 guys use if you want to go back to original. 

Photo stolen from another site.

No photo description available.

Otherwise if you want to get rid of the soft touch, use any old wax and grease remover then give it a good rub down with something like 200 grit wet and dry.
Apply a couple of coats of plastic primer, then your colour of choice 3 times with 800 wet and dry, topped off with 3 coats of lacquer 

I did this myself about 18 months ago. Easy job. Remove panels, strip of existing coating, smooth sand the plastic surface, clean thoroughly, add plastic primer and then the desired colour+clear.  I used the existing Graffiti Grey which can be obtained without much trouble.

@Sherpa this is probably a job you can do entirely yourself - the good paint shops will prep up everything you need and put it into aerosol cans (primer, base coat, clear coat)- and they can do this with 2k paint.  A nice still day outside in sun will have you finished within the day.  I really recommend 2k paint (two stage chemical reactive) as a great durable finish is easily achievable by anyone, but 2k paints are dangerous to breathe with strong short term VOCs, but working outside (if you're not inner city?) and a basic mask makes it pretty safe.  You can use acrylic automotive paints, but their UV resistance and durability are nowhere near as good.

Gents,

Ridiculously, I put a brand new lower centre console into my C4S, I have the original one in the new box, >$1000 new.   Happy to move the original one on for a token consideration.  Might be useful as a test run subject.  Needs a good sand and paint,

18 minutes ago, KGB said:

Gents,

Ridiculously, I put a brand new lower centre console into my C4S, I have the original one in the new box, >$1000 new.   Happy to move the original one on for a token consideration.  Might be useful as a test run subject.  Needs a good sand and paint,

Funny you should mention that @KGB I was pondering the idea of finding one and doing the paint work under no time pressure and without having the car stripped out. 

Are you in Sydney or somewhere less covid-full?

14 hours ago, Mike737 said:

Not sure if you ruled out going back to the original because of how damaged it is, but there's a product by color bond called LVP refinisher that a lot of the 996 guys use if you want to go back to original. 

Photo stolen from another site.

No photo description available.

Otherwise if you want to get rid of the soft touch, use any old wax and grease remover then give it a good rub down with something like 200 grit wet and dry.
Apply a couple of coats of plastic primer, then your colour of choice 3 times with 800 wet and dry, topped off with 3 coats of lacquer 

That looks awesome @Mike737. I’d love to keep it original, but I’m just worried about how scratch resistant that’ll be vs 2Pack paint. Have you used that stuff on yours?

14 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Acetone will take the gooey surface off. Then 800 grit the plastic surface.  There are specific 2k plastic primers to use (think bumpers), and then the clear over base finish (seal grey + gloss clear coat).  I'm personally a fan of the colour coded look - go with Seal Grey.

Thanks @Fishcop that sounds simple enough to strip them. I’m thinking an exterior plastic finish would have to be the most resilient surface for that section…

3 hours ago, Sherpa said:

Funny you should mention that @KGB I was pondering the idea of finding one and doing the paint work under no time pressure and without having the car stripped out.

Melbs!  Shoot me your postcode and I’ll get a postal quote.

18 hours ago, dan_189 said:

If you need a seal grey one I have one but it's got a crack in it but would be a good start for repair & painting. PM me if you need it. 

Thanks @dan_189 I’ve got a black interior, so I’m helping @KGB clear out his garage.

Cheers for everyone’s help. You’re a good bunch of motorheads 👍🏼