997 OEM or Aftermarket Windscreen??

A bundle of joy!

997 Windscreen Question: Hi all, just got a quote from Shannons for my 997. I asked Shannons that, in the event of needing to replace the windscreen, could I opt for an original OEM Porsche unit? They said that I would have to use O'Brien's windscreens or pay the difference if I wanted to order an original Porsche one from Germany. From experience, replacement windscreens for these cars really should be OEM, for ongoing protection and stopping water ingress through seals. Can others share any advice or experience on this matter, please?

Thanks

I had a OEM replacement screen from shannons last year for my 964.

I had to haggle a bit, ended up talking to a supervisor and she gave me the ok provided the I pay for it in full then they reimbursed me.

It had only been in a month when I copped 3 stone chips from another PFA member !!!

About to go through the same procedure and would prefer my independent guy to fit it as I have never had a good experience with Obriens’ or mobile guys. I contacted O’brien’s and questioned if they would supply an OEM screen and reluctantly the guy said they “could” didn’t say he would, his main concern was to arrange a screen while I was on the phone, seemed that he wasn’t listening to my request. Checked out my Shannons policy that states free replacement screen and doesn’t state that its aftermarket only, therefore I’ll be pushing for original. Porsche has screens in Melbourne  $1600 incl GST including the seal. I will wait to the new year and enjoy a stress free Christmas. 

I had this issue with Shannon’s years ago with my old 996 GT3. They tried to push me to use a cheap non genuine replacement. I went to my crash repairer while advised me that they cannot dictate where and what you use to replace the screen with. In the end I paid the $1800 ish to get the genuine screen fitted by my repairer and sent tue bill to Shannon’s. They reimbursed me with no questions asked.

I had a new Porsche supplied one for my 996 a couple of years ago got my local independent fitter to do the job all claimed on my insurance.I would have thought you would be able to get a like for like swap factory glass for factory glass.

I've not had any issues getting genuine with any of my insurers (none were Shannons though), just ask politely, if they push back, ask them if they will pay to refit a genuine screen should there be issues with the antenna or rain sensing wipers (if applicable) 

I argued with Shannons for 6 weeks about getting a genuine screen for my e39.  Quote from BMW was ~$2500, versus presumably $5-800 via O'Briens.  Most of the time was just delays dealing with the Suncorp overseas call centre numpties (the difference between the sales-facing and claims-facing staff with Shannons is stark!!).  Eventually I complained hard enough to be contacted by a local guy, who told me the PDS stated that they only had to replace with an Australian Standards-approved glass, so if I wanted genuine glass I'd have to pay the difference.  This is about 3 years ago.  Others seem to have had different advice / results at the same time as me (I never actually checked the PDS lol).

I relented and just got the O'Briens glass, which was done well at my home and has given no cause for complaint.  They even replaced the perished outer trim which i was not expecting.  I was annoyed about the unnecessarily long delay, and maybe they stiffed me on the advice, maybe not.  The Beemer is a 320,000km daily of little value and we are almost certainly its last owners.  I guess some Porsche buyers would get all antsy about a non-gen screen, making it more of a concern with these cars.