New 991 vs first 911

Great photos, though I have to say that for me the 991 has drifted one step too far away from its heritage.  My main issue is how "bloated" the car has become.  The first time I saw one on the street I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a Panamera.  Even a 993 looks lean next to a 991.

Porsche blames the size and weight on things like modern safety standards and the greater comfort requirements of today's customers, but I don't buy that. Sadly I think Porsche has decided that the Cayman/Boxster will be the 911 of today and the 911 will continue its stealthy journey towards become a GT tourer . . . the 928 strategy has finally been achieved!

. . . just the opinion of one Porsche lover who thinks the 911 has drifted in a sad direction.

I am actually surprised how much of the original design cues it retains. Although it has become bloated Just the same as  the 240Z did by the time it became a 300Z, at least Porsche has added more power to compensate. I know if I had a choice of which one I would rather be in, if I was going to be in a car accident, I'd chose the 991 everytime :)

peace

Cyberpunky

I was lucky enough to drive one amongst a lot of current model Porsches up at the Qld Raceway last year. It was one of the Porsche Australia (Mt Cotton) days. The 991 definitely felt more stable than the 997 and others. The new Boxter was fun and surprise surprise, the Panamera was a blast to drive. The over-riding impression I took away with me was just how amazing these cars all were on road tyres on the track! All the eletrickery was left on and they put us through certain exercises some of which were designed to actually upset the car. Technology has seriously advanced and for a road car it's a must to have all these gadgets running when on the street anyway. Real life saving stuff. 

Great photos, though I have to say that for me the 991 has drifted one step too far away from its heritage.  My main issue is how "bloated" the car has become.  The first time I saw one on the street I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a Panamera.  Even a 993 looks lean next to a 991.

Porsche blames the size and weight on things like modern safety standards and the greater comfort requirements of today's customers, but I don't buy that. Sadly I think Porsche has decided that the Cayman/Boxster will be the 911 of today and the 911 will continue its stealthy journey towards become a GT tourer . . . the 928 strategy has finally been achieved!

. . . just the opinion of one Porsche lover who thinks the 911 has drifted in a sad direction.

Nick, its all about wheel base.

If Porsche want to stay in the game, the car needs to be a longer and wider 911.

Its that, or the day of the 911 is over.

The next one will be longer and wider again.

I hope it grows on you.

When the 930 came out people said the same thing.

Now it looks small. :)

They really are two different cars, serving two different markets really.  The sports car buyer of the 1960s probably has very little to do with the sports luxury car buyer nowadays.

I still think there is a market for a smaller, narrower sports car.  But maybe it has to be an Elise - size raw thing to get away with it,  probably the only car on the market today (are they still for sale?) which is closer to the original 911.

I think the biggest problem with the new 911 designs are that the rear taillight height is too far up.  I'm not sure if this is regulation-driven or stylist driven.  But the very-low thin taillights of the original designs were very disttinctive.  The quite-severe downwards slope of the rear lines of the car are one of the things that set it apart from just about everything else.

That, and I think modern car design needs to experiment with big glass areas again - surely they have the technology to present some delicate A-pillars while retaining strength, and same goes for some thin front seats to remove the visual bulk.   The modern Camaro is probably the low-point for army-bunker vision,  it would be great to see someone experiment with a very low belt line a-la series 1 Range Rover, but in a car.

Yes to all of the above, but, drive a 991 in anger & come back to me!! The 991 is 2 cars, GT tourer with the exhaust off, suspension in normal & sport/sport plus off, & the other beast it becomes when you drive it as a 911 should be driven, just my 2 bobs worth.

Yes to all of the above, but, drive a 991 in anger & come back to me!! The 991 is 2 cars, GT tourer with the exhaust off, suspension in normal & sport/sport plus off, & the other beast it becomes when you drive it as a 911 should be driven, just my 2 bobs worth.

Yep..having driven a 991 in anger I have to agree with these sentiments.

With this sort of handling and the acceleration the 991 does not feel big at all...from behind the wheel anyways.

Even better the 'sound symposer' exhaust means you get the aural pleasure without having to put the windows down.

The 991 gets my thumbs up.

IMG_4225_zps72de8edc.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest Harold

Well, for my two bobs worth, I pick up my new 991 S tomorrow afternoon and I am looking forward to it. I took it for an extended drive last week and I did not want to give it back. It really is two cars in one, drive it casually and it is smooth and soft, push the sports button (its PDK) and mash the accelerator then it really gets up and goes. I took it down a windy road called McCarrs Creek Rd and does it handle. It is a great car. I am trading in my 18 months old C63 and I really love that car, lets you know how good the Carrera really is in my estimation. All the best.

Archived