Big road trip - to buy an old porsche...

Found a 1988 porsche I'm going to buy - I'm in Perth, car is in S.A.

I'm sure the car is great mechanically - lets assume it is for the point of discussion.

Ive never done a road trip this big, thinking of flying over & my son and I drive it back to perth - am I crazy??

The car is on S.A plates so I assume I can just drive it here on the S.A plates?

thanks

9 minutes ago, Carrot01 said:

Found a 1988 porsche I'm going to buy - I'm in Perth, car is in S.A.

I'm sure the car is great mechanically - lets assume it is for the point of discussion.

Ive never done a road trip this big, thinking of flying over & my son and I drive it back to perth - am I crazy??

The car is on S.A plates so I assume I can just drive it here on the S.A plates?

thanks

as long as all the paperwork Disposal/Acquisition and Road worthies etc have been done, you can drive it back to WA (as long as your premier will let you back in 😛).  Then you will just have to comply it, with whatever rules and regs are over there in the west and cancel SA rego and plates and re register in WA.  Just make sure you have a temporary third party insurance cover for the journey.  And a comprehensive one from your insurance company.  Pretty sure that should work...I will stand to be corrected though if anyone can add anything.     Good luck with it, enjoy the car and the trip home bonding with your son and the new family addition...Should be fun

5 minutes ago, AD911S said:

Full reg or historic

good point, i dont think its on full reg 😞

Expiry Date
28/01/2022    (UNREGISTERED)
Plate Number

Make
PORSCHE
Body Type
SEDAN
Primary Colour

Conditional Details
HISTORIC VEHICLE
Vehicle Condition 1
HISTORIC VEHICLE + EXTENSION
CTP Insurer
SGIC
CTP Ins. Premium Class
19 - HISTORIC/LHD/STREET ROD VEHICLES

But when you buy any car, interstate or otherwise, the previous owner cancels their registration (usually quick smart for obvious reasons) … I don’t think that would stop you driving it home, you have a grace period to get it registered on new plates in your name. 

Certainly that was the case for me in NSW, buying an SA car and driving it home. I guess you need to confirm but I assume WA is no different. 

In NSW we can get an "unregistered vehicle permit" and that is valid for a predetermined amount of days (worked out on the trip details basis) and it allows me to pick up an unregistered car from any State and drive it back to NSW.

I'm sure there will be a similar thing in other States.

Originally I thought I need to get the permit in the State I was leaving from, but as it turns out, I can get it here in NSW as long as my trip ends here.

Hope this helps ...

Have driven 2 unregistered (with no Plates) cars back to SA from interstate. Both from Vic.

A permit with a direct route to the destination can be obtained online or in person, 

The permits were Vic in origin and valid in SA.

SA to WA should be a similar thing i.e. purchase an SA or WA permit to drive back to Perth. Don't forget comp insurance😀

Renewal of Registration, No Transfer

1. 4.7  An invitation to renew the registration of a conditionally registered vehicle will generally be forwarded to the registered owner, ordinarily five to six weeks prior to the registration expiry date.

2. 4.8  An application to renew the registration will not require further approval from the recognised motor vehicle club. However, the applicant/owner must continue to be a financial member of a recognised motor vehicle club and, once the renewal is paid, ensure that the current period of registration is entered in the log book.

3. 4.9  The conditional registration of a historic, LHD or Street Rod vehicle may be renewed for 1, 2 or 3 years, at the option of the applicant.

4. 4.10  The registration of a conditionally registered vehicle cannot be transferred to another owner, even if the new owner is also eligible for conditional registration. Where a change of ownership occurs, the

registration will be cancelled. The log book issued in respect of the vehicle must be cancelled by the issuing club.

4.11 The registered owner of a conditionally registered vehicle may apply to cancel the registration at any time. The log book issued in respect of the vehicle must be cancelled by the issuing club.                         From the code of practice SA