991.1 GT3

Samp

I have been considering buying a 3.8litre GT3 and wanted to hear opinions, particularly from owners. I understand that most have had engines replaced. Given this, they are relatively good buying. Given that these motors will never be matching numbers and always considered a problem, is it actually good buying or are you buying a poor investment?   

Sorry, I should add, I don’t want to buy it to sit in my garage, but also would like it to increase in value rather than depreciate or be a lemon when the times comes to selling 

I dont own 991.1 GT3 , I have .2 version ,my view is they seem like really good value as they are often $100k cheaper than the .2 version and are a superb drivers cars and every bit as good as the .2 cars

I stayed clear of them due to the 9A1 engines having issues that we are all aware of .

Sadly I believe that stigma of the 9A1 engine being flawed and its short production life will mean that it will always remain cheaper on the resale market than the .2 variant and not hold its value like other GT3 models 

I believe the issue only affected early engines and from memory the problem was corrected in later versions of the 9A1 engine with engine numbers F and later I believe.

As we all know the problem engine were replaced and given a 10 year engine warranty from Porsche 

Like any purchase do some really thorough research before pulling the trigger you dont want to put $250K into something that you can sell in the future.

There is always a huge amount of information on the overseas sites like Rennlist due to other markets like the U.S getting much higher numbers of these cars than Aus and the Americans love to talk and debate over every little Tech detail regarding these cars .

As a investment long term , hard to say ? I do not believe they will increase in value say in the next 5 years due to the dark cloud that hangs over them , I base that view on our current market that is at an all time high for  Porsche GT cars , due to the demand being high and the limited numbers Australia gets of these cars prices have risen sharply over the last few years.

The 991.1 has not increased in value like  other GT cars have over the past 2 years and eventually this bubble will have burst .

look at members signatures to see who has a 991.1 GT3 and drop them a personal message if no one gives you the info you are after in this thread

Wish you best luck in your search :Beer:

59 minutes ago, Raven said:

I dont own 991.1 GT3 , I have .2 version ,my view is they seem like really good value as they are often $100k cheaper than the .2 version and are a superb drivers cars and every bit as good as the .2 cars

I stayed clear of them due to the 9A1 engines having issues that we are all aware of .

Sadly I believe that stigma of the 9A1 engine being flawed and its short production life will mean that it will always remain cheaper on the resale market than the .2 variant and not hold its value like other GT3 models 

I believe the issue only affected early engines and from memory the problem was corrected in later versions of the 9A1 engine with engine numbers F and later I believe.

As we all know the problem engine were replaced and given a 10 year engine warranty from Porsche 

Like any purchase do some really thorough research before pulling the trigger you dont want to put $250K into something that you can sell in the future.

There is always a huge amount of information on the overseas sites like Rennlist due to other markets like the U.S getting much higher numbers of these cars than Aus and the Americans love to talk and debate over every little Tech detail regarding these cars .

As a investment long term , hard to say ? I do not believe they will increase in value say in the next 5 years due to the dark cloud that hangs over them , I base that view on our current market that is at an all time high for  Porsche GT cars , due to the demand being high and the limited numbers Australia gets of these cars prices have risen sharply over the last few years.

The 991.1 has not increased in value like  other GT cars have over the past 2 years and eventually this bubble will have burst .

look at members signatures to see who has a 991.1 GT3 and drop them a personal message if no one gives you the info you are after in this thread

Wish you best luck in your search :Beer:

Sorry, I should add, I don’t want to buy it to sit in my garage, but also would like it to increase in value rather than depreciate or be a lemon when the times comes to selling 

Thanks for your insight Raven. I tend to agree. I will look into it a little further before committing. 

I have owned both a 991.1 GT3 and a 991.2 GT3 at the same time. While I think the 991.1 has a 'sweeter" drive train, the reality is that it is always going to carry the stigma of the engine problems and...IMHO...will not appreciate over time. Indeed, I believe that as the 10 year extended warranty period comes to an end, prices will drop...a lot...as people become hesitant to buy into a car with "potential" engine issues that could break their piggy bank.

Overall, the 991.2 is the better car and a much safer investment.

12 hours ago, Samp said:

Thanks for your insight Raven. I tend to agree. I will look into it a little further before committing. 

I dont know if you like the 718 GT4 , they are in a similar price range as the 991.1 GT3 between $250 to $300K mark 

I rate them as one of the best value for money and one of the best driving Porsche GT cars available ,they are also holding their value well.

Just something to also consider :Beer:

The .1 oiling issue was never resolved, it is an engine design fault. The F series engines on are 'better' not fixed. That will always weigh on values long term. Doubly so once the 10 year warranty runs out.

The .1 3RS is a better option due to the lower rev limit.

Better yet, If you can stretch to the .2 do that, you won't regret it.

Disclaimer: 991.2 owner.