VHT PAINT ON EXHAUST

Niko

IMAG0879.jpg

Ok I am all excited my FISTER is in town. What I need to know is this...As you can see, a bit of colour to finish it off on the body of the muffler would be nice.

I am intending to give a coat or two of VHT Exhaust paint. What I need to know is will this cause a heat problem ie keep heat inside the innards of the exhaust which may lead to whatever... or will the heat transfer out through the case just the same as no paint on the exterior.

If that makes sense....

good question, i doubt the paint would cause any problems but the big question is, why paint it in the first place??

i think it will look great as is!! remember the paint will chip and flake off over time and will look crap and need to be re-done.

i vote leave it

No, the paint layer shouldn't be a significant insulator.  I think VHT might flake off over time tho, making it look a bit ugly :)

What colour are you planning to paint it?  If satin black is what you were going to do, I've had some good luck with POR15 Black Velvet, I painted a set of headers with them and 4yrs later it still looks just as good :)

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?7768-Babalouie-s-Project-Hakosuka&p=270046&viewfull=1#post270046

This is what they look like today:

BHG088.jpg

Ok I am all excited my FISTER is in town. What I need to know is this...As you can see, a bit of colour to finish it off on the body of the muffler would be nice.

I am intending to give a coat or two of VHT Exhaust paint. What I need to know is will this cause a heat problem ie keep heat inside the innards of the exhaust which may lead to whatever... or will the heat transfer out through the case just the same as no paint on the exterior.

If that makes sense....

Great stuff Niko, looks like we'll have new exhaust on both of our cars at about the same time.

We'll have to do a listen test side by side.

I vote leave unpainted, at least you can see that it is stainless steel.

Jim

Thanks gents, if I decided to do it would have been in the satin black or as you suggest Babalouie the Black Velvet, and I had forgotten about the POR brand, much better idea than the VHT, but after all that...... maybe leave as the Doctor designed it with bugger all on it

The autosol or Luvox also good options. I guess I can use that stuff on it underneath once it is on anyway.

So back to the think tank I did get a P M telling me if Mr Porsche wanted It painted he would have painted it, so that sort of sways my thoughts.

Thanks for the thoughts/ideas..

9111212.jpg

Try the WD40 thing.  This is my muffler after just a simple wipedown with a rag and WD40, and it came up quite shiny :)

Nice, babalouie. Also do like that black velvet on the headers.

Niko,

A couple of other options, HPC Coatings do a few different colors, black, dark grey, light grey, and polished aluminium in a specific exhaust coating http://www.hpcoatings.com.au/  This is a permanant coating and can be cleaned easily.

The option is to chemically polish or pickle it

Thanks Mike I have used HP Coatings once before many years ago for a manifold and exhaust, they did a great job also.

Certainly getting some ideas here...

Mate, that would be very neighborly of you, but I don't want you to use up too much elbow grease on it. Just maybe do a section and see what you think. I can rip into it when I get over there.

Thanks for that

Archived