Adding Working Air Con to a SC

withers

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can retrofit air conditioning to a 911 pre- 964 era.

Is this true?

Has anyone here done it?

Does it really work?

What does it cost and does it change the look of the car?

I really would love a classic 911, however the AC is an issue for me.   Yeh yeh I know it's all part of the charm for some... but I just want to equipped with the knowledge before buying one of these cars.

I want to know if that option is available to me if needed.

I also want to make sure that I don't have any regrets and am happy with whatever I buy for a long time to come.

Hi Amanda

Scott at Autohaus Hamilton has developed an air con system for pre-964 cars that really works to provide cool air rather than a slight noise and the sensation of somebody using a straw to blow on your face from behind the dash.

There are a number of options, depending on whether the car in question has factory aircon, no aircon or an aftermarket system.

You can get Scott on (02) 9905 1455.

<insert silly "Great Scott!"/"Scott free" joke here.>

James

Hi Amanda,

I have been talking to:

Rock Browning

RetroAir - Mr Jaguar

www.retroair.com

Have a mate that bought this system for his Carrera 3.  Installed it himself, not the gassing, he is very happy.

Cost to him delivered was $2300 AUD.  I have been quoted $2189 USD plus $358 FEDEX delivered to Newcastle for a 930 kit.

Hi Amanda

Scott at Autohaus Hamilton has developed an air con system for pre-964 cars that really works to provide cool air rather than a slight noise and the sensation of somebody using a straw to blow on your face from behind the dash.

There are a number of options, depending on whether the car in question has factory aircon, no aircon or an aftermarket system.

You can get Scott on (02) 9905 1455.

<insert silly "Great Scott!"/"Scott free" joke here.>

James

Thanks James, I didn't know about Scott. Will give him a call.

Cheers

I dropped into Autohaus last week and had a look at the system.  It's very neat and while I didn't get a chance to verify how cold it was, Scott knows what he's talking about for sure.

The price of the kit is on par with other systems, but having the local support counts for a heck of a lot.

Amanda,

I have to say that James description of SC air is so accurate, its not funny. I am sure that turning mine on lowers the temperature inside the car, but so does lowering the windows and opening the sunroof !!

Every now and then I convince myself I felt something cool coming from the dash, but then reality sets in :wacko:

Interested to hear how the Autohaus system goes; but then I could spend that money on other "needs"

cheers

Peter

Hi Amanda,

I have been talking to:

Rock Browning

RetroAir - Mr Jaguar

www.retroair.com

Have a mate that bought this system for his Carrera 3.  Installed it himself, not the gassing, he is very happy.

Cost to him delivered was $2300 AUD.  I have been quoted $2189 USD plus $358 FEDEX delivered to Newcastle for a 930 kit.

Thanks James, I didn't know about Scott. Will give him a call.

Cheers

Was the $2300 cost for a car with factory air, or no air at all?  I'm wondering if there is a benefit to having a factory starting point (brackets, wiring, hoses, etc) or is it better to have a clean sheet (no factory AC, or Factory AC already removed)

Does it look factory, or do you have a modern vent slung under the dash?

I just have to add that the retroair.com webiste is absolute crap.  I am sure they could triple their sales if they just took some proper photos with captioning and labelling, laid out everthing logically, got rid of stupid graphs and technical information and put in some before/after shots of systems in place, coupled with some real-world thermometer readings coming from the air vents.  Put in an inventory of what parts come in the kit, and give a 10-step high level procedure of what is involved, what tools are reuiqred, how long it takes, etc.

I am sure it's a good product, but they sure work against themselves to let their customers know.

Was the $2300 cost for a car with factory air, or no air at all?  I'm wondering if there is a benefit to having a factory starting point (brackets, wiring, hoses, etc) or is it better to have a clean sheet (no factory AC, or Factory AC already removed)

Does it look factory, or do you have a modern vent slung under the dash?

I'm curious about this too.... what changes are performed inside the car.. new vents or what?

Have to agree, the retro-air website is difficult to get around, now.  Was easier in the past.

Retro-air makes a kit for factory AC cars and and non AC cars. Both kits come with new hardware, hoses (with fittings attached), brackets, condenser, upgraded fans, compressor and comprehensive instructions.  Both kits utilise the factory vent system with optional under-dash slim vents.  The differences are that the factory temperature selector switch, compressor brackets, crank pulley and the original housings are used.

Kits are made for LHD and RHD cars. 

I have some pictures of the kit and will try and upload later.  New computer, new issues.

Fitting time will vary on how much time you have.  I think my friend work on his in the evenings (2-3 hours per night) over two weeks with no special tools or equipment needed.  He estimates two days full time.  He is not a mechanic and has basic tools.  The only problems he did have was that two hoses were too long and had to be shortened with new fittings (not expensive) and finding someone to gas it properly.

He has pictures showing -2.1 degrees coming out of his vent, car was in the shed.  

A workshop estimated around $3000 to fit and about 2-3 days.  They have fitted a couple of these kits without any major issues.

I am not affiliated with retro-air in any way, this is just my experience so far.

I have to agree that if a good kit is available locally then support it.

**$2300 was the kit for a factory AC car, so will have to add the cost of electrical switches etc, mounting bracket and crankshaft pulley. The quote for mine is also a factory AC car.

Have to agree, the retro-air website is difficult to get around, now.  Was easier in the past.

Retro-air makes a kit for factory AC cars and and non AC cars. Both kits come with new hardware, hoses (with fittings attached), brackets, condenser, upgraded fans, compressor and comprehensive instructions.  Both kits utilise the factory vent system with optional under-dash slim vents.  The differences are that the factory temperature selector switch, compressor brackets, crank pulley and the original housings are used.

Kits are made for LHD and RHD cars. 

I have some pictures of the kit and will try and upload later.  New computer, new issues.

Fitting time will vary on how much time you have.  I think my friend work on his in the evenings (2-3 hours per night) over two weeks with no special tools or equipment needed.  He estimates two days full time.  He is not a mechanic and has basic tools.  The only problems he did have was that two hoses were too long and had to be shortened with new fittings (not expensive) and finding someone to gas it properly.

He has pictures showing -2.1 degrees coming out of his vent, car was in the shed.  

A workshop estimated around $3000 to fit and about 2-3 days.  They have fitted a couple of these kits without any major issues.

I am not affiliated with retro-air in any way, this is just my experience so far.

I have to agree that if a good kit is available locally then support it.

**$2300 was the kit for a factory AC car, so will have to add the cost of electrical switches etc, mounting bracket and crankshaft pulley. The quote for mine is also a factory AC car.

Thanks for this info, really appreciate it and any pics you have of the bits fitted.

So my guess is you need to add $3-3.5 k to the purchase price of any impact bumper car if you're interested in having AC (assumiung self fitment), and whether it has factory AC or not isn't that big a difference (going by what I could work out with the website).  Seems a lot of people take it out anyway, so factory parts shouldn't be hard to come by.

That in itself seems quite reasonable to me.  Repairing things like compressors or condensors in plenty of other cars can easily run $1500-$2000 in itself.

The question is what does non-factory AC do to the value.  Objectively I would say it adds value to any non-concours, non-track car (ie, street driven).  Others might disagree.  To me it makes the difference in being able to drive and enjoy the car for 4-5 months of the year.   Sure, when you want to go for a drive you would open the windows, but schlepping along the highway or in city traffic with the windows down and sweating all over the interior is not fun.

This all looks very positive.  I think for me, my plan would be to get the car. Use it for a year and see what the non-AC hardship feels like.  I want a Targa and I'm not flexible on that.  So that also means in fine weather, the roof will be off.  

I'm pleased to see that for about $5k  I can have working AC added to my car.  

The problem is mainly being stuck in traffic...not a problem down here. Despite record high temps in summer I've had no problem, but then again I grew up not knowing what AC was! I retained the AC fan after ripping the remaining junk out as the convection effect is quite good if you point a duct into the cabin. I've though about perspex front 1/4 windows with the aircraft vent nozzles as well. But I can live with what I've got (which includes a lighter car).

My commisserations to you guys with your furnace like environments . 

In the 30s all week here in Melbourne.... gloriously sunny out too.. which makes a car a total hot box in traffic :)

Perfect weather for a DD with a/c.

Even though 30's predicted for the weekend, it's fine driving the 911 without a/c when you're out on the open roads. Ready or not, PI here we come :)

Archived