Adelaide Hills

LeeM

Being an ex bike racer, we used to hit this 'track' fairly regularly on the weekends before it became popular with the plod and their lovely camera's.

Greenhill to Lobethal has to be one of the best roads in Oz.

My favourite bit has to be from Mount Lofty to Lobethal,via Basket Range.  A little bumpy on a bike, so I can't wait to get the 912 up there in the future

I think Cameron is a member here maybe?

Yep, I call it the Basket Snake.

It has become diseased by TWATS on their pushbikes.

Riding 5 abreast and talking about how tight their pants are.

My 968 CS used to eat this road, Full of blind crests, damp bends and pine needles waiting to catch you out.

I'd go from Lobethal to Norton summit and then have a decent coffee and a smoke, "On Days Like These" playing in the background.

I find it funny how the push bike girls abuse you with fervour and then you stop, get out and walk back for a chat. They all seem to look the other way. They constantly ruined my drives through this technical and challenging road.

Yes, I dislike the lycra pushbike brigade. Apologies in advance for anyone who likes to show their balls, shave their legs and dislike motorists.

Motorists pay registration. registration pays for road maintenance. Yes I know, you have a car and pay rego. Pay it for your bike and your tight pants.

Exhale.

AMEN to that!! I'm with ya Steve

Too many times we had that when we used to hit the hills. 

On a motorcycle, it's not too bad, though watching my 6 foot 10 mate on a Hayabusa give the leader a gentle hip n shoulder, and watching the rest of the 20 or so lycra brigade pile into him was hilarious!

No, I'm no fan of arrogant cyclists

• 10 months later...

Deviation road, just before forest range, is a good drive. same for the roads around chain of ponds. the corner where you turn to go to kersbrook is a ripper. I went around it at 140 the other morning. the road after the corner is smooth but a bit undulating. I wimped out at 185 coz it got a bit bouncy. Don't tell the local plod w ill ya.

Do you know about the hidden camo 'safety' camera's that are apparently up there Stew?

I'd be very careful if I were you. Couple of my mates on bikes have had fines sent to them last year

Don't quote me on this, but I'm told they're set up early in the morning on Saturday's and removed early Monday

Yep, I call it the Basket Snake.

It has become diseased by TWATS on their pushbikes.

Riding 5 abreast and talking about how tight their pants are.

My 968 CS used to eat this road, Full of blind crests, damp bends and pine needles waiting to catch you out.

I'd go from Lobethal to Norton summit and then have a decent coffee and a smoke, "On Days Like These" playing in the background.

I find it funny how the push bike girls abuse you with fervour and then you stop, get out and walk back for a chat. They all seem to look the other way. They constantly ruined my drives through this technical and challenging road.

Yes, I dislike the lycra pushbike brigade. Apologies in advance for anyone who likes to show their balls, shave their legs and dislike motorists.

Motorists pay registration. registration pays for road maintenance. Yes I know, you have a car and pay rego. Pay it for your bike and your tight pants.

Exhale.

Your small appendage make you angry. Is fault your father.

AMEN to that!! I'm with ya Steve

Too many times we had that when we used to hit the hills. 

On a motorcycle, it's not too bad, though watching my 6 foot 10 mate on a Hayabusa give the leader a gentle hip n shoulder, and watching the rest of the 20 or so lycra brigade pile into him was hilarious!

No, I'm no fan of arrogant cyclists

Your brain is not a good ones.

Lee, I can tell you that the local plod's (plodii?) are quite dilligent around the area, and they have been known to park in obscure locations at times.  Though in the 2 & a bit years I've been driving those roads to work & back I've not seen a parked speed camera at all.  Just the odd patrol car with a radar gun.  The rumours of covert cameras pops up from time to time.  Like the one in the rubbish bin...

By the way, are there any regular gatherings / Sunday drives organised in Adelaide?

I wouldnt know mate, as I havent been up in the hills for a few years now and don't know anyone that goes up there in cars.

I'm also not in any car 'scene' or clubs (typical politics), yet when my car is ready (whenever that is!) I'll be heading up through Basket Range to Lobethal a fair bit I reckon, probably the Clarendon to Strath run too.

Would be nice to catch up with some like minded Porsche guys that just enjoy talking crap and having a laugh.

As for the 'hidden cameras' thing. It was a rumour that I heard a little while ago,and knowing plod, I wouldnt put it past them.

For safety reasons ofcourse! 

@KGB. My opinion. 'nuff said

My mate of 40 years Geoff lives in Magill SA, just a traffic light from the ecstasy of the Old Norton Summit Road.

Love those Adelaide Hills.

The Chain of Ponds Rd another ripper, which is where I first met my good mate Geoff all those years ago at a TSOA National Meeting.

It was TR's then, he in a #5 and me in a #6 and no speed cameras to hamper our progress.

Good days that cemented that friendship for so long. Talked to him on Skype this morning in fact. 

He too complains of the Lycra brigade and their lack of accountability to the system.

I of course, no longer have an opinion in fear of recrimination from my peers and the authorities.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Talking enforcement, I saw someone setting up a camera on a tripod on Gorge Road at 8am near the top of the dam a couple of Sundays ago.  Also there was a camera man hiding in the bushes on Greenhill Road just out of Balhannah towards Carey Gully on the fast straight section the day before.  The Balhannah camera I was expecting from the Safety Camera site but not the Gorge one. 

http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/sapol/road_safety/traffic_safety_camera_locations.jsp

Well APPARENTLY, PoPo were saying the camo'd camera near Balhannah was set up to monitor the amount of traffic that passes by.

What a load of absolute BOLLOCKS! Why don't they just admit cameras are for revenue? That way, we won't think theyre just a bunch of liars like the government!

This IS the camera that was set up near Balhannah 3 weeks ago!

camera.jpg

Archived