911sc no start / no spark

Davis

Hey All, I have a problem where my 911sc will not start and looks to be an electrical issue. I have attached timing light to plug 1 and no light / spark on turn over. Electrical gremlins are not my thing, so does anyone have a suggestion on who might be able to come out and have a look at it. I'm based in Melbourne....Highett.

Directly before the non start the car did a 2hr drive and was flying!! next day no start.

Start with checking fuses and where they contact, then battery terminals are tight and clean. Twist them a bit, as that's all that stopped mine from getting spark

After that, it might be the coil that's shat itself.

Start with checking fuses and where they contact, then battery terminals are tight and clean. Twist them a bit, as that's all that stopped mine from getting spark

After that, it might be the coil that's shat itself.

David Brennan seems to have a good name around Victoria, and he's mobile

There could be a whole host of reasons why it isnt firing, but I just went through this  a few days ago...... turned out to be the GREEN WIRE from the distributor to the cdi unit. 

Maybe give the harness a bit of a wiggle while you are holding the timing light and someone is cranking the starter.. see if you can find a break. 

If not that, it could be your CDI has failed, or your coil. 

Following on from Mike's great post, another test is to measure the resistance of that green wire.  It should be measured installed in the distributor and read around 600 Ohms.

I recently tested mine following a no-start/non-spark and measured 0 Ohms - turned out that mine had come detached from the distributor. 

NaFe 

10 minutes ago, Davis said:

Thanks so much everyone for the great advice. I got back from holidays fiddled with the green wire and Boom!! it started. Not sure yet exactly where the problem is with the green wire but it's 100% the issue. 

I'm getting good at guessing ;)

If it is indeed that wire, you can buy a 928 part from autohaus which is long enough to go all the way to the cdi without needing any other connectors.