Ownership maintenance costs of the 964/993 vs 996

withers

Hopefully I word this right, ok here goes....

I'm trying to work out what the cost of ownership will be with a 911 so I can buy myself the most appropriate machine.  After much deliberation and research, I'm thinking I will consider a 996 for it's more modern appeal.

In an ideal world I'd get a 964 or 993 BUT I'm worried about repair bills.

What type of things would a 964 or 993 need replacing maintenance wise at this point of its life?

What types of things would a 1998 - 2000 996 need at this point in it's life?

I'd love to hear from the people that own these cars and a rough indication of the type of $ it costs to keep them on the road each year.

should be in the butt shot subforum...

I think it already is. It's the shot Niko took of that pink ruf that lives in Melbourne. I got permission to vandalise it :P

Amanda,

I saw that car in your avatar recently and it is a wicked looking vehicle.....even if not MY chosen colour..!!!

Peter

Peter, I don't think I'd drive that car either - but it is fun to look at.  It would attract to much attention I think.

i can only compare costs between 996 GT3 and 965 and honestly it's hard to say;

the 965 being 21 years old and higher mileage etc etc has always needed more little things done, but i think we use it a lot more.

GT3 has only ever needed the regular services.

Yeh I think I'm asking a fairly difficult question depending on usage, previous owners, climate etc   thanks for your experiences :) 

Said I would keep my distance but just can't help myself.

Major service for a 993 will be around $1700. Not sure about a minor.

Things that should be looked at:

Front control arm bushings.

Tie rods.

Engine mounts.

Valve guides in high mile cars. (Leak down on PPI should confirm).

Oh, and don't forget the water pump!!!!!!!!!!!

964/993 would be easier for your bro to work of also.

Said I would keep my distance but just can't help myself.Major service for a 993 will be around $1700. Not sure about a minor.Things that should be looked at:Front control arm bushings.Tie rods.Engine mounts.Valve guides in high mile cars. (Leak down on PPI should confirm).Oh, and don't forget the water pump!!!!!!!!!!!964/993 would be easier for your bro to work of also.

I can live with that. Oh and don't keep your distance! I ask these questions to get the truth, regardless of how much it hurts!

:)

Said I would keep my distance but just can't help myself.

Same.

Just how long is the string? 20k? 30k? 40k? 50k? 80K?.. Its a 911. It wont be "cheap" no matter the car you buy. Keep your goal to an early impact bumper that you can work on yourself and the bills will hurt less. Long hoods are either cheap for a reason or out of the ball park money you want to spend. 30 to 40k 964 will be cheap to buy and cost you a lot later on and a 993 will be an auto.

996's will be sub 40k but plan to spend 10 to 15K long term.

As a wise man once said. 911's are all 50K cars its just a matter of pay now or later. 

I'm asking about the different requirements bw the aforementioned air cooled vs 996 and their respective ages.

I know they aren't cheap to maintain - you've all made that crystal clear :)

And I'm fine with an auto in a 993.

Lke my new avatar?

how can we answer that?

I'm waiting for you to ask

"Does my butt look big in this?"

but I'm too well brought up to mention it until you do

how can we answer that?

I'm waiting for you to ask

"Does my butt look big in this?"

but I'm too well brought up to mention it until you do

oh my goodness.. you fellas are soooooo rude!

Does my but look big under this number plate?

so your considering a 996 now? i thought you were hell bent on a early targa or 964

Just thinking out loud JJ..  I realised last night that this post would have been better had as a conversation with a few of the guys over a coffee, not on the forum.

Oh well, what is done is done.

Archived