Look past the ugliness and listen to the sound!

333pg333

I was one of the majority of people that reacted with a resounding "Yech!" when Porsche actually released the Panamera. Then I got to drive one of the 'medium' versions (n/a V8) on a racetrack and really liked it...both inside and outside. Now someone is having a more serious look at these as a race car. Gotta say, I like it. The sound is awesome and the only car I've heard that can come close to the SLS racer. Now if only they'd do a 2 door version...988 has a ring about it! 

I drove a V8 one at Queensland raceway, above 160kph, & while initially I thought big & slightly ugly, driving it in the flesh is really impressive. Such a big car shouldn't handle so well but it did, the only let down was some brake fade but to be fair this was after a reasonable flogging.

wonder if they will be entering the V8 redneckcars?

Would Porsche allow it?  Porsche engine and body with somebody elses running gear, suspension and aero package !

Would they allow wheelbase adjustments to comply with V8 Stupidcar rules.

I think not.  It would not be a true representation of the Marque.

....besides you would be able to pick it out from the rest of the field.

Would Porsche allow it?  Porsche engine and body with somebody elses running gear, suspension and aero package !

it would be a lot of work. porsche would not be anywhere near the front of the pack for a season or two, so the investment would not be worth it to them

I am not really up with the rules, so what engines do the nissan and MB run? Their own? Don't tell me they have pushrod V8s in them? I know they use  a transaxle (Diff + Box together as in 944/968/928 etc...) at the rear with a torque tube.

I guess they would not be that interested in it? They are showing a strong interest in Rallying though.

it would be a lot of work. porsche would not be anywhere near the front of the pack for a season or two, so the investment would not be worth it to them

I suppose a team would have to want to run a develop the car with factory 'support', not a works team.

It is also fair to say that the new rules are aimed at the global market/viewing audiance which porsche already has via the Carrera Cup F1 Support and the super cup. So probably not going to happen.

I still highly covet the Panamera - its one of those cars that just does it for me.

So, for me the V8 supercars are now getting interesting.............I want to see a MB on the podium within 18 mths.

This looks cool though :

Porsche_928_Graphic.jpg

I am not really up with the rules, so what engines do the nissan and MB run? Their own? Don't tell me they have pushrod V8s in them? I know they use  a transaxle (Diff + Box together as in 944/968/928 etc...) at the rear with a torque tube.

I guess they would not be that interested in it? They are showing a strong interest in Rallying though.

I suppose a team would have to want to run a develop the car with factory 'support', not a works team.

It is also fair to say that the new rules are aimed at the global market/viewing audiance which porsche already has via the Carrera Cup F1 Support and the super cup. So probably not going to happen.

I still highly covet the Panamera - its one of those cars that just does it for me.

So, for me the V8 supercars are now getting interesting.............I want to see a MB on the podium within 18 mths.

This looks cool though :

Porsche_928_Graphic.jpg

yeah, would be a lot of effort - and a big struggle to be anywhere near competitive - for a small market like us when they already have a global series!

merc still has the flat plane crank in their engine because they are playing a lot of catch up - will see if next season they get onto the pace!

I didn't have an opinion either way but always thought the media slamming of it's looks was a bit harsh. I saw a black one filling up a cpl of days ago and I loved it. Big but it has great lines and the shooting brake version would be welcome in my driveway anytime. I just think it is not very photogenic compared to in the flesh

Archived