Does anyone know this 911??

That's the oddest 993 I've ever seen!

Backdating G series cars to long bonnet is like so-o-o-o-o last five minutes.

Didn't you get the memo? Backdating 993 to G series is where it's at now.

(Sits back, waits for fawning adulation over the first person to backdate a 997 to look like a 996.)

With apologies for continuing thread derailment.

The add reads 1984, comments within the add read 1982, might be a typo. Factory wide bodies weren't available in 1982. It should have m491 listed in the option codes if its a factory wide body. Very cheap and rate car if it is a 1984 m491 optioned car.

Yeah I would also have thought if it was a genuine factory wide body he'd have know what he had and would have made more of it in the add.

Good price if it were genuine, a lot of inconstancies in the add .....  I would have thought a good M491 would start at $40k+, that's what I'm working off as I save for one.

I saw that car and noted the keen price.

It certainly doesn't look 'original', that's for sure, but doesn't have the original wheels so that's part of it.  There are no driving lights, for a start, and the sharkfin looks like someone put it on in the dark to me.

The 'wide body' could mean it's a real turbo-body, or it could mean fibreglass guards.

At that price, if its' a real wide body, it's almost certainly a UK import, particularly as it has been around for a few weeks now.  But no engine pics, so we can't say if it's a 3.2 or SC.  I would say it is a 1984 and the 1982 is a typo.

Not sure about the 'last of the aircooled engines'- a 1984 still had 5 years to run in impact bumper form, and another 12 years overall.

If I was in Vic I'd go for a look.

I am about 6 months away from looking seriously and I didn't want to waste his time. I thought someone may have known the car.

I completely missed the no driving lights.

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and currently looking to buy something, maybe a 911.

I also saw this car on carsales and thought it looked great but was confused about a few things so before picking up the phone, I did a VicRoads online check and it turns out the car is registered as a 1981.

Given this, it can't be a factory wide body, right?

Would an '81 built, '82 model, have a 3.2 litre motor?

Another thing that put me off was the front & rear hoods look to be a different shade of white, and I'd have to re-trim the seats and find some Fuchs wheels before I was 100% happy with it.

By the time you re-paint, re-trim, find new wheels, the cheap $36k car doesn't look so cheap anymore - or am I missing something?

Thunder you aren't missing something here.

911 SC's were produced from 1978 - 1983. They had a 3.0 Flat six with Bosch K-Jetronic(CIS) fuel injection.

911 Carrera 3.2's were produced from 1984 - 1989 they had the 3.2 Motor with later Style electronic fuel injection.

If, this car is indeed a 1981 build it would have left the factory with a 3.0 in it.

I am pretty sure you can find a better car than this one for the same money............although it doesn't hurt to have a close look at it to build a profile of what type of 911 you want to buy.

Unlikely a factory widebody if its a 911 SC, if it is a factory widebody, which can be verified by a check of the VIN with Porsche cars australia then its extremely rare and worth looking into.

This car would end up being a 50k car by the time you got it 'right'.

There is no such thing as a cheap 911, just remember that!!

Archived