930 Gearbox Upgrade

T-Man

I know we have a good tech resource out there and a couple of 930 nuts so in need of a little help.

A guy I know has a 930 which has just had an engine rebuild, but has had a heap of work done prior also, to add some serious hp. Had it back for a short time and blew the 5-speed G50 in it.

What would be the recommended box, or upgrades to the current one, which would take the most driver abuse and deal with 400 HP at the back wheels. Money is not necessarily an issue, however it needs to be done once and be bulletproof.

Theo, does the car have EFI ?

Was the box rebuilt with the engine ?

When you say blew up, done a gear ,or kablamo the whole thing ?

That box should be fine with that power, it may have been on its way out before and never knew it.

Theo, it doesn't help when your mate decides to "smash into 2nd and drop the clutch"  :lol:

Has he thought of getting another G50 and even getting the gears heat treated to extend the strength? We have the same issue with the 944s.. once you go out of 500rwhp.. you've just got to change your driving style. 

Good to see the power junkies show up!!!!! 

Lots of questions that at this stage I can't answer, but will endeavour to find out more on.

Yes Uncle, this is the car you were talking to T-2 about over dinner, and this is a good mate of his.

From what I understand this motor has been rebuilt a number of times and at some stage the box had some work done to it also.

Further discussion has shed light that the box gave up on a first to second powershift. We need to understand that this guy owns a couple of cars with big blocks and SL Mercs that chew tyres every month. 

The real answer is that he needs to understand that it isn't a drag car and to change his driving style, but it won't happen!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned, I'll be back with some answers hopefully.

Thanks.

There's nothing more cool then a porsche chewing tyres.. Did you post it up on Rennlist? I can guarantee someone (not usually the states probably some european..) has done some over the top conversion with a power house of a box. 

True , Pauly.

However ,with that power a well built box will be fine.

Thats the other point, careful who rebuilds it.

I mean it, thats the most important factor in a high hp gear box.

PM me if you want the right person for the job.

Vas,

That is absolutely true! 

I'd personally take it to Buchanan Automotive in sydney.. They post on this forum now and then too! he has a whole writeup on rennlist of a disassembled 951 gearbox. which isn't an easy gearbox to play with.

Bring him to the Gear box clinic...are the 993 boxes a step up ?

Michel, the 993 gearbox is a great box and better in every way over a 930 box.

The 930 4 speed is a very basic old girl.

The shifts are slow and ratios limited as its a 4 speed.

Having said that, it is strong as they get.

Add a cooler and they can take 600+hp.

Mine went over 30 years before it needed a rebuild.

I wish you could fit a 993 six speed (without drama). 

But, if you want that, just buy a 993. :)

• 3 months later...

I know we have a good tech resource out there and a couple of 930 nuts so in need of a little help.

A guy I know has a 930 which has just had an engine rebuild, but has had a heap of work done prior also, to add some serious hp. Had it back for a short time and blew the 5-speed G50 in it.

What would be the recommended box, or upgrades to the current one, which would take the most driver abuse and deal with 400 HP at the back wheels. Money is not necessarily an issue, however it needs to be done once and be bulletproof.

930 factory 4 speed, is the toughest box, standard they can handle 600hp plus

Archived