996 Tip Paddle Conversion - Which Paddles?

Sherpa

All of the how-to's I've seen on doing this show the AMG C63 paddle switches (p/n A1712670046) being used. They're about A$750 from Merc locally, or around half that on eBay.

There are a bunch of aftermarket paddles for Mercedes on eBay as well for around A$150. Has anyone here used something other than the Mercedes OEM ones? I can only find one guy on the 911UK forum who used an unspecified " 2013 Land Rover paddles", but there's no pictures.

I'm assuming if the mount's footprint is similar to the OEM, then it should all be same-same. Does that sounds like a fair assumption? 

1 hour ago, Sherpa said:

All of the how-to's I've seen on doing this show the AMG C63 paddle switches (p/n A1712670046) being used. They're about A$750 from Merc locally, or around half that on eBay.

There are a bunch of aftermarket paddles for Mercedes on eBay as well for around A$150. Has anyone here used something other than the Mercedes OEM ones? I can only find one guy on the 911UK forum who used an unspecified " 2013 Land Rover paddles", but there's no pictures.

I'm assuming if the mount's footprint is similar to the OEM, then it should all be same-same. Does that sounds like a fair assumption? 

The Merc paddles work and fit for comfortable acces while driving, So using something undocumented would be risky venture and you could nacker your steering wheel ,My 2c worth good luck.

On 06/07/2023 at 13:18, Sherpa said:

The eBay joby's look the same as the Merc Jobs, Not much to break only a contact point, Not a big job to replace once fitted , Or maybe a breaker might be able to supply.

On 07/07/2023 at 16:27, tomo said:

The eBay joby's look the same as the Merc Jobs, Not much to break only a contact point, Not a big job to replace once fitted , Or maybe a breaker might be able to supply.

Thanks @tomo Your point about comfort and reach is sticking with me. I don't want to install the things and find I can't comfortably use them. Plus the AMG ones appear to be a similar silver to the plastic in the 996 interior, the ebay ones look to be polished. I might just swallow the difference.

3 hours ago, Sherpa said:

Thanks @tomo Your point about comfort and reach is sticking with me. I don't want to install the things and find I can't comfortably use them. Plus the AMG ones appear to be a similar silver to the plastic in the 996 interior, the ebay ones look to be polished. I might just swallow the difference.

There is a mob in the states that make a flappy paddle wheel for the 996 , More info @ DCT Motor sports.

3 hours ago, Sherpa said:

Thanks for the advice @tomo & @LeeM  I bit the bullet and ordered the OEM's. Every time I see them in a 996 I'm surprised how "factory" the look. So I figure better to do that than f-around with something different.

youtube the install for the rest of us

5 minutes ago, Harsh said:

youtube the install for the rest of us

Honestly considering it. There's loads of write-ups on forums about this mod, but I can't find a single video of it. Which is odd, because it feels like every other modification ever done on a 996 has at least one very good video walk-through you can learn from...

53 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

Honestly considering it. There's loads of write-ups on forums about this mod, but I can't find a single video of it. Which is odd, because it feels like every other modification ever done on a 996 has at least one very good video walk-through you can learn from...

I found some when I was considering this mod on my 6.2 Tipper I had a few years ago.  Sorry, no notes kept, but I think there was also a good Rennlist thread on it as well???

I actually have 2x set of the Merc paddles I never fitted as I went with a Momo wheel and Works Bell paddle kit.

The paddles are the silver ones usually used and a set of carbon fiber ones. I was gogin to do a clean out but let me know if you're still looking for a set.

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I found some when I was considering this mod on my 6.2 Tipper I had a few years ago.  Sorry, no notes kept, but I think there was also a good Rennlist thread on it as well???

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/929250-paddle-shifter-install-on-tiptronic-write-up.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1172689-tiptronic-paddle-shift-install.html

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I like videos,sometimes those rennlist/pelican forums can be difficult to follow

1 hour ago, 911CSR said:

I actually have 2x set of the Merc paddles I never fitted as I went with a Momo wheel and Works Bell paddle kit.

The paddles are the silver ones usually used and a set of carbon fiber ones. I was gogin to do a clean out but let me know if you're still looking for a set.

Thanks for the offer mate. But I pulled the trigger on an eBay purchase last night. Otherwise I'd have been all over that.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sherpa said:

So the AMG paddles finally arrived after 3 weeks. I didn’t realise they were metal. The price makes more sense now, they feel solid AF.

I might have a crack at it this weekend. Please pray for me 😅

Here is a pic of mine ,Might help with paddle location.

20210528_175703.thumb.jpg.dd68e1b588b08caa30f017f9c8d01407.jpg