How to reinstall vapour barrier?

autojack

I had to take off one of my door cards to fix a stuck window. Got that sorted, but now I'm not sure how to stick the plastic vapour barrier back onto the door. It looks like whoever did the speaker upgrade in the past may have stuck it back on with masking tape, but none of the tapes I have are sticking to the door very well. On the Pelican forums I see a range of suggestions - spray adhesive, contact cement, double-sided tape, weatherstrip putty... Has anyone here had experience doing this? I don't want to buy and try a bunch of different things to find something that works. Some kind of sticky putty would seem like a good bet, but I can't seem to find anything like that here.

The butyl rubber tape used on 944 tail lights would probably be close to OEM, I hear they also used it on 911 panels.

I did my 911 vapour barrier several years back and just used duct tape, it has held up fine and I've had to go back in there a couple of times without and re-sticking issues.  I did start with a new plastic barrier and cleaned the metal before sticking everything together.

2 minutes ago, Stepo said:

The butyl rubber tape used on 944 tail lights would probably be close to OEM, I hear they also used it on 911 panels.

I did my 911 vapour barrier several years back and just used duct tape, it has held up fine and I've had to go back in there a couple of times without and re-sticking issues.  I did start with a new plastic barrier and cleaned the metal before sticking everything together.

Aha, something like this? https://www.bunnings.com.au/consolidated-alloys-48mm-15m-butyl-double-sided-tape_p1090837

What did you clean the door with before attaching?

20 minutes ago, Peter M said:

The vapour barriers on my '88 are stuck on using contact cement.  So I just used the same when I replaced them recently. ( I bought precut vapour barrier sheets from Pelican I think but just call James!)

Did you use the tube stuff or spray stuff? Just not sure how much coverage it should have.

47 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Carbuilders.com.au have a kit that contains 2 clear heavy plastic sheets, one per door and a roll of butyl rubber adhesive. $38

Thanks, that's a great tip! Wish I had asked sooner, I could have had this in hand for the weekend. None of the auto parts places around me have it in stock, but Repco can get it in for me and save me the shipping cost. Probably will be good to just have a whole new liner.

On 26/10/2023 at 16:17, autojack said:

Did you use the tube stuff or spray stuff? Just not sure how much coverage it should have.

Actually contact cement in a tin.  Just used a 1" brush to spread it, waited until it had flashed off and then just pressed the plastic sheeting onto it.

The tube stuff would work well too.  Just use your finger or a brush to spread.

I've used all the methods described in this thread previously.  If you plan to pull the plastic off frequently, the butyl rubber sealing strip method is the best as it's reuseable.