Noise with ignition on - 1984 3.2L

Dalai

TLDR: engine noise with the ignition on. Any idea what it is and could I drive it the 12km to the mechanic or best to get towed?

I woke early many months ago for a big drive in the hills and heard a noise on start up and even just with the ignition on. So put the cover back on and went back to bed.

The car soon after then got boxed into the garage by another car who's engine had detonated so I did nothing further with the 911. Think of the Castle "Oh Steve could you move the Camira I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore." That car has been finally towed back to the shop so I can access the garage. 

On start up today the noise wasn't as bad as that last time but was still there. It's overdue for its service, so want to book it in ASAP and it's only 12km to the shop.  

Ideas what it could be? Would it be driveable or best to get towed? It does run but if it could damage the engine...

Car isn't running in the clip. Just filmed with the ignition on.

Thanks for the comment @Stepo.

Does the blower fan switch on without the engine running?

My uneducated guess was it may be the fuel pump, hence why I wasn't sure if I could drive it to the shop. But it starts and revs fine in the garage, so I prefer your suggestion. 

Yeah, heater fan blower. This should turn off unless you have the heater on (levers between the seats up). I replaced the motor in mine myself.

27 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Thanks for the comment @Stepo.

Does the blower fan switch on without the engine running?

My uneducated guess was it may be the fuel pump, hence why I wasn't sure if I could drive it to the shop. But it starts and revs fine in the garage, so I prefer your suggestion. 

Fuel pump is up front, under the car. You wouldn't hear it in the engine bay.

Find the power lead to the blower, and just unplug it, if it won't shut off when the heating levers are off. But that would mean there is an additional problem besides the squeaky blower.

Thank you both. I really appreciate the replies! I am now much relieved. 

I just went back out into the garage after reading your posts. I checked and the centre tunnel heat control was still on 1. 

Turned it off but the noise was still there. I started the car and played with the fan controls setting to III then back off and the sound including just with ignition on the sound has gone. 

Looks like I'll be investigating how to replace the blower fan motor and can book it in and drive it to its annual service without fear of damaging it. 

If you are worried it will seize and cause a short circuit, just unplug it.

I can’t recall what type of electrical plug  is on the power supply lead so suggest you tape it up if there is chance it can short on anything nearby.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again all. The Blower Motor arrived a couple of days ago and I've swapped it out today.

I did notice a vacuum line wasn't looking the best, so emailed a picture to NineAuto as it's booked in for its annual service this Wednesday. Hopefully they can order the necessary replacement so it can be sorted then.

IMG_20240425_123709699.thumb.jpg.9d91c854a69467cc39334b9ec31600b3.jpg