Brake Pad Suggestion for Cayman S

Mike D'Silva

Need to replace front pads for the Cayman S.

Genuine pads from local dealer are $258 just for the fronts...

Pelican parts also list Textar which claim to be an OEM supplier..

Has anyone any feedback on using a generic brand like this?

The Textar pads for both front and rear are: $187...

They also list Sebro rotors at about half the price of the Oem rotors..

Am I safe to use alternative brands? or should I just stick to Porsche brand?

i agree (about not being cheap) ... a vendor told me that Textar pads are what you get, if you buy from Porsche... ie, if I go to Porsche to buy pads, and open the box, there will be textar pads inside...

Sounded odd, but what do I know.

Interesting... Pelican parts list all the different options.. why would you buy "porsche" to end up with Textar anyway.. weird....

Of course, for some reason, if I order brake pads and discs, the freight works out to be something stupid like $300...

I mustn't be using their ordering system right.

Interesting... Pelican parts list all the different options.. why would you buy "porsche" to end up with Textar anyway.. weird....

Of course, for some reason, if I order brake pads and discs, the freight works out to be something stupid like $300...

I havent ordered from them, but if they are front and back rotors and pads, the package ends up being quite heavy. I ordered the same items, but for a VW through ECS tuning, freight was along those lines

Nope - $300 is about right. Did the same thing at ECStuning and the shipping cost was a little over $300 too. The weight of four rotors ain't going to be light.  But with shipping, it is still cheaper than sourcing the same items locally IIRC.

I'll be paying more and getting the original Porsche Rotors but might get Hawk HPS pads instead.

ECStuning has full brake packages that have Zimmerman ceramic coated rotors and HPS pads for $895 not including shipping.

Don't forget to that you'll also need replacement brake wear sensors and a few other things I can't think of right now.

If your brake wear sensors haven't yet activated, you can wait till they do. Then you have around 500kms before you really need to change the pads according to Grant of Porsche Hamilton.

I was talking to Grant of Porsche Hamilton today and he said that they use Sebro discs but original brake pads. I would not skimp just to save a few dollars.

Apogee, that's not quite accurate.

Autohaus Hamilton use a mix of Textar, Pagid and Porsche pads depending on what is available/who the OE manufacturer is. But the ethos is one of using parts that are of a suitable standard, rather than sourcing to a price.

I purchased pads and rotors from PP a few years back. Instead of paying $500+ for delivery I bought space in a container for $40. Delivery to the CA based shipping depot was free. When the parts arrived in Melbourne I simply went and collected them. There are plenty of freight suppliers who can do this for you.

I purchased pads and rotors from PP a few years back. Instead of paying $500+ for delivery I bought space in a container for $40. Delivery to the CA based shipping depot was free. When the parts arrived in Melbourne I simply went and collected them. There are plenty of freight suppliers who can do this for you.

How does one go about doing this?

How does one go about doing this?

I was fortunate to have a workmate introduce me to his friend who runs a business where he regularly brings a container from the states. He is no longer allowed to bring shipments in for others as the rules now require him to be a licensed shipping agent.

There are numerous freight companies which will ship goods to Australia. Many are based in California which suits sending stuff here.

Google search "shipping car parts from usa to australia" I found a couple quite quickly. Most will bundle multiple items into one delivery.

Paying import duty and GST will still work out cheaper than air freight direct from the supplier. Delivery to a registered forwarding agent in the USA can avoid paying local sales taxes. Ask about this before you pay when you purchase.

I haven't made any big purchases since so I can't recommend any particular freight company.

Good luck. Let the forum know how you go.

I got lazy...

In the end I just ordered from PP... front discs and rear discs was too heavy...

Only my front brakes need doing, so I got front discs, front and rear pads, sensors, couple of oil filters, air filter, magnetic drain plug.. etc... freight ended up being just under $300...

I got lazy...

In the end I just ordered from PP... front discs and rear discs was too heavy...

Only my front brakes need doing, so I got front discs, front and rear pads, sensors, couple of oil filters, air filter, magnetic drain plug.. etc... freight ended up being just under $300...

Just a suggestion. Before you put the new pads on the rear, check them thoroughly for thickness and flatness. There should be less than 1mm gap when checking against a straight edge. If in doubt remove them and take them to a brake shop to have them lightly ground to true up the disc face. This will also help to bed in the new pads.

thanks for the heads up.

I haven't measured the rear discs or even rear pads... I just bought the pads cos I could get them in the shipment without going over the total weight limit.

I had a friend measure my front discs... and they were at a smidth (scientific unit of measurement) under 27mm.. i think new is 28mm and the lower limit is 26mm.... I could possibly get away with machining the front discs too... 

When the parts arrive and I have the car up, I will take the discs off, and have them measured properly. If all is good, i'll take them into work and get someone to machine them a bit.

Then I can use the discs I bought at the next pad change.

Archived