944S2 future classic?

Hi all,

Look, first up, I am not looking to start a 944 vs. 911 flame war.

I have a decent, high mileage 944S2, it runs pretty well, has some nice parts such M030 brakes. On the other hand the paint, condition is far from perfect and it has a 968 head, most likely due to a tensioner failure on the original. So a non original, 20ft car, it has been for driving rather than showing.

Now my question relates to how these cars are going to go in the future... Is the S2 likely to be a appreciate in the future?

Mine can be cleaned up, returned to original (only the head is really an issue)... Or are 944 values what they are and unlikely to change?

Cheers

Greg

Although values may rise over time, cost of regular maintenance will probably erode that, so IMO you have a car that probably wont go down in value(unless not maintained properly) but will probably cost more than any increase in value, to keep. It is not an investment and so should be enjoyed, as the price of entry into ownership exceeds any gains but having said that it is worth it IMO as you get to enjoy the car (a lot)

Greg,

It will and I can even predict the timeframe.

The 944S2 will become a classic and prices will skyrocket, about 24 hours after I sell mine for the current going price..... My luck is like that! :blink:

On a serious note I have read all sorts of experts predicting that 944's will finally rise in price, etc. Ultimately I agree wholeheartedly with Uncle and the others. Just enjoy it how you want it to be. Wash it, take pride in it and drive it as often as you can on the best roads you can. B)

Jeez, I'm feeling a bit warm and fuzzy after that, where are those Porsche keys....

So Mark,

When are you selling yours? :)

I guess I am somewhat reluctant to modify the car only to have the value plummet... In my case it would be rear seats gone etc, moving closer to a CS only to discover that S2s are the new 964 RS.

The dream of a 911 is in there still. Particularly with the 944S possibly becoming the race/rally car in the future. Destroying any 'value' in the car would be counter productive.

Cheers

Greg

Greg, you'll be the first to know... :D

I'm keeping mine stock, but driving it and enjoying the hell out of it (Plus a very intensive washing and waxing routine, but I'm pretty sure I have car cleaning obsessive compulsive disorder). It was my daily driver until this month when I bought my Rodeo. I'm pretty sure I know what mine will be worth when I sell it in the next 1 to 2 years for a 3.2 litre Carrera. I don't think they will depreciate any really. If you plan to sell the S2 to finance the 911 (Like me), I would be reluctant to modify it.

In the end it's all just my opinion mate, and my wife would say "do the opposite to what Mark tells you". :ph34r:

Cheers,

Mark

This is a good topic, but I couldn't care if the car was worth a $1 and cost me $1000 a year to run. I had a poster with a 911 nosed up to a 944 from 1988 with full break downs of each car.

I looked at that poster every day for good on 10yrs and well I own one of those cars, and I love it and this is all that matters.

(This is my humble opinion)

If I could keep the 944 AND still get the 3.2 litre Carrera, it would be my Valhalla (Viking heaven), but alas my patient and understanding other half would never entertain this, as great as she is. :rolleyes:

Aussie, I hear you and I agree. I don't have my 911 yet, because I am having trouble with whole the parting with the 944 bit...

Actually I took a look in Carsales recently and was surprised at what people are asking for any 944 variant. Seems like there was a rise across the board on all models. The only problem with holding out and trying to artificially raise/wish the prices up in the marketplace is the old adage that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I am putting together a really special little 951 that I will be selling or at least pricing in the $40k+ region...but might have to wait for that special person who really wants something pretty trick. 

As for S2's, I think they're a pretty nice little car. Probably a good candidate for dual purpose vehicle. 

Most of the mods I want to do are either invisible or reversible.

I would really like to build a full RS or CS style 944S2, I may have to save that for the 944S that is sitting in the back yard.

AC delete, sunroof delete (if I could find a panel), lose the sound deadener, some more poke (240-250 NA hp flywheel), nice tied together suspension, S2 brakes... Arrow blue..... It has to sound just right as well... It's needs that growl or wail up high in the rev range...

Cheers

Greg

If you trawl through the magazines devoted to older Porsches , just about every model is considered a sleeping bargain (more so if it's sepia brown) , or a rare collectible ( club sport , turbo) that is priced accordingly. Once you get over the "old cars are an investment" fallacy , you can get on with enjoying what is either a project (you knew what you were buying into , right?) or a sorted vehicle where the previous owner played the $2 in $1 out game for your benefit.

If you have chosen wisely , you will want to keep the car that's creating memories for you and maybe your offspring. Selling a car you fell in love with , as long as it doesn't cause major grief , is always regretted. These cars are about an emotional investment and a return of experiences!

None of this is new. But we do have new "investors" on the forum from time to time.

Can Australia continue to sustain the ridiculously high artificial used car prices indefinitely? 

S2, and 944 prices generally here in Australia are stupid. I originally paid under $5000 for this 1990 S2 5 years ago overseas and it was pretty immaculate with 118,000km.  Elsewhere these are cheap car, and as they age they are getting cheaper.

134937.jpg

135009.jpg

Personally I don't see them becoming a classic, they just aren't rare enough. However, if someone thinks differently and would like to reimburse me for all the cash I have since pumped into mine, let's talk...lol.

That looks a very nice car at $5k Steve. The only minor problem with your question of used car prices in this country is that they have to be this high otherwise you devalue the 2nd hand market way too much. It’s the Inflated new car prices that are the problem. Not just car prices of course. We just get hammered down here and the Govt has been scooping up over 90% import duties on cars for decades in the guise of a protective tariff for our local manufacturers. Nice to know that Holden are considered on par with Porsche. ;-)

Good question. Might not be so easy to find out. Sean's dad might remember. I know the turbos were really expensive for the day. Have no recollection of any conversation involving your question though. 

• 4 months later...

Archived