Post Punk, New Wave, late 70's / early 80's - remember them?!

Its interesting how the music you like in your later teens and early twenties seems to set you up for the rest of your life. Its not to say thats all you'll listen to, but it does seem to set a theme that continues forward with us, one that we refer back to, and one that we nostalgically remember those "good old days" by. Well, thats how it is for me anyway.

I don't know if the boys in Groove Armada are in their forties, but their new album "Black Light" is quite an interesting departure for them, and one that clearly tips its hat to my musical heyday. It is not a tribute to the songs of an era (a la Nouvelle Vague), but an album of fresh songs written in the "spirit" of that era. You can hear Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, New Order, Tears for Fears, Bronski Beat, Gary Numan, Human League, Joy Division, David Bowie etc etc etc etc..... and then out of the echos of past influences, there is a song actually sung by Brian Ferry. What Groove Armada has brought to the table though are their sophisticated, naughties grooves and finesse, you certainly don't get the feeling any of the tracks were recorded in a tube station using a ghettoblaster!

It is fast becoming my favorite album of this year, and if you too were caught in the late 70's/early 80's musical underground, you might just enjoy it as well!

Let me know what you think...

Kerry

PS Go to your iTunes account, punch in Black Light, and listen to the first 30 seconds of a few of the tracks. Highlights so far are tracks 1, 5, 9, and 11.

Thanks Kerry. sounds like we might have very similar taste in music as well as cars! New Order, Gary Numan, Human league were very big on my plays lists in the earley eighties.

Will take a listen and thanks.

Cheers

Chris

You guys forgot The Smiths and Talking Heads.

Regards

AndyS

Ahh, never forgotten, just not on this new album thats all!

Listened to the Smiths Greatest Hits one day last week, then killed myself... :rolleyes::)

Kerry

What??? When did the 80's end, nobody informed me.

I'm off to see Tears for Fears and Spandau Ballet this Wednesday, OK maybe not as underground or alternative as Japan, Altered Images, Joy Division etc but still bloody good music for a die hard new romantic tragic like myself.

I even got to meet Howard Jones last February 2009, remind me to get a hair cut and stop dying it!

Mr Leonard, I've just iTuned a couple of tracks and thank you for the recommendation, great find! Thanks for sharing, Groove Armada have a few more royalty dollars coming their way.

My latest 80s influenced 2000 find is Goldfrapp's Head First, it's never going to score high with hardcore critical acclaim but for some reason makes me want to find my roller skates and Cliff Richard cassette.

I still have nightmares about going to a Psychedelic Furs concert I went to with my sister in Prahan. As soon as they were through with Love My Way I was out of there. Worst concert I have ever been to. Did go and see Adam and the Ants though at festival hall with my then bosses girlfriend at the time which was a great concert for lots of reasons.... :P:P Ahh the memories!!

Another good one was ABC.

Cheers

Chris

My bad Andy! :rolleyes:

I'll definitely pay The Smiths, but Talking Heads? Which track do you reckon?

Kerry

Kerry,

You made me laugh - Thompson Twins - took me back to 'couples' roller skating age approx 14.

For Talking Heads, I like, What a day that was and This must be the place (naive melody)

Regards

Hey Andy, ah, the imperfect nature of forum communications.... I thought you meant that you hear Talking Heads and The Smiths in the Black Light album! :rolleyes::blink::o:D

Yeah but, nah but, yeah but .... Talking Heads are COOL! Psycho Killer, Take Me to the River, Cross-Eyed and Painless, Once in a Lifetime... Excellent stuff!

Kerry

Felix, you are da MAN for giving me 4Gbs of ACE funk tonight... Brides of FUNKENSTIEN! Lovin' it! Sorry I couldn't stick around, me head was going to pop! How did the 935 sound when they arc'd it up inside the showroom?! :blink::)

Cheers

Kerry

• 5 years later...

And while we're there... Thomas Dolby, Teardrop Explodes, Heaven 17, The Hothouse Flowers (!?), Psychedelic Furs, Thompson Twins............. :rolleyes:

Kerry

I know its a very old post , but i was listening to a retro radio station whilst driving down form Bristol in the UK yesterday  and I cant see you mention Heaven 17 or Johnny Hates Jazz… just incase the library needs updating ; And dont forget Weller - the have just released a new Jam movie

Will have to see the Jam movie. Was a big fan back then, and Sex Pistols. I still listen to the Pistols, and one of my favourite Jam songs we've just started playing in my acoustic duo,  'Thats Entertainment' 

Its interesting how the music you like in your later teens and early twenties seems to set you up for the rest of your life. Its not to say thats all you'll listen to, but it does seem to set a theme that continues forward with us, one that we refer back to, and one that we nostalgically remember those "good old days" by. Well, thats how it is for me anyway.

yes and no - I recently dug out some old techno CDs circa mid 90s, had a listen and thought, "WTF was I thinking?!" 

• 3 months later...

Archived