GoPro External Mic

Hey all, as most of you with GoPro's know the video quality is great but the audio from the internal mic is horrible, add to that mounting your camera in the car and all you're left with is bad karaoke and lots of rattles. Well last week I purchased a cheap $4.50 external mic to try out and finally it stopped raining today so I went for a spin. I taped the Mic to my rear bumper just above the exhaust and ran a lead into the camera mounted to the passenger window.

9031225490_11dfddd723_c.jpg

While the Mic is cheap and there are some small issues ( Think I need to move the Mic further away from the exhaust) I think the result is a Million times better than using the internal mic.

Here is the video for you to decide for yourself, image quality is not great as my exposure was wrong but it will do. I cut out all the slow plodding along for the sake of entertainment, enjoy the snap crackle and pop!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Nathan :)

I note you have the same issue with your shifter, its a long way from the steering wheel.

I had mine made about 4in longer, you may want to try the same thing.

Its so much better now all round, but when you are driving hard on the twisties its awesome.

Worth a thought.

Just love your car.

I have bought myself a Rothsport short shift but have not put it in the car yet as it needs some mods to work on my car, maybe I should find someone on the coast who can add some more length to it for me. I like your thinking Vas!

I have bought myself a Rothsport short shift but have not put it in the car yet as it needs some mods to work on my car, maybe I should find someone on the coast who can add some more length to it for me. I like your thinking Vas!

I had a thread machined into the original shifter at the cut, then made up the extended section with the male thread.

Bit of Loctite and covered with shrink wrap.

Job done. :)

I dunno if this is any help, but there used to be an extension for the shifter for Kombi's - you take the gear knob and thread this on, then put the gear knob back on... they were really handy for reach between the steering wheel and gearshift

That's bloody fantastic. Have you got a link for where you purchased the mic? For my movie I'm making, I've stuck my go pro on the engine lid under the tail to keep it out of the wind and taken some sounds samples from there. I've then detached the sound from the clip and overlayed into my movie. Works pretty well but this mic would be great.

Car sounds insane by the way:)

Its sounds better on the video than it does in the car driving it! It doesn't sound quite that brutal from the drivers seat. I bought the Mic from ebay, here. They also sell 5m 3.5mm leads too so you can get the mic almost anywhere. Only problem I have found is I get terrible interference if I have power plugged in or the LCD back on. Im not sure if its bad shielding on the lead or in the mic port.

Great video Nathan! Nice work on the mic.

Now you can hear what I was hearing when following you down the hill, with all the snap crackle & pop!

I reckon if you tucked the mic in the bottom of the engine deck lid it'll sound a treat! Close to the exhaust, but also in the engine bay to capture the throaty intake sounds.

Cheers,

Scotty

Is your shifter rod flat like mine or are the 930's round? scratching my head trying to figure out how you would thread a flat bar :blink:

Round on the 930.

No drama if its flat, just mock up the length you want and have it welded. :)

Im interested to see if their is a difference in audio quality between a $4.50 mic and a $1.35 one :lol: Considering my one was 3 times the price you have scored yourself a bargain!

3 times the price and it still only cost you $4.50, both what I would call cheap. Yes it will be interesting to get mine and plug in to the GoPro and see how it works. I will do that once it arrives.

If you pay 3 times as much for a car, you would expect some sort of step up in quality and performance, in this case however I don't think my mic will be 3 times better than yours. :D

I had to duck up to the shops today so I decided to take the porka and put the mic in the engine bay, I taped it to my oil filler cap. I picked the wrong time of day to do it and hit major school traffic. I managed to get on boost twice! It picks up the induction noise great but the sounds of pulleys and fans etc is not particularly nice. I cant hear the exhaust at all so I will keep trying some different spots. Next up I think right at the seam where decklid and light bar meet

9038071323_f925d65d07_c.jpg

There is always the option of running a splitter and finding some more pocket change for a second mic :D

I will post a link to the extremely short video from today getting on boost once I upload it. (I get into 2nd and have to brake :( )

Here is under the decklid.........

The Hero has automatic gain control on the external audio input which sucks and I think I need to come up with some sort of extra baffling to reduce the levels.

And with the help of some computer magic here is what it could sound like with 2 mics......

Archived