Oz stats for '89 Speedster

Harold996tt

Wondering if anyone has any stats as to how many 89 speedsters roughly were imported into Australia.

Have been watching carsales for some time and amazingly have seen almost none come up for sale with the exception of a very low mileage example currently there that has sadly had its body work modified from original.

Are these cars really that rare here? 

Someone might be able to jump in with a number but I'd be guessing that number would be in single digitis...

I know of two that have sold through Shannons in the last 5 years and another one in the private market that has been in a panel shop for quite some time....

That one on carsales has been there quite some time and the price seems to keep creeping up every year ..

Harold

On another forum, it was stated that Porsche Cars Australia list 9 cars as delivered.

On another forum the black car in question has been queried as to originality.

Happy hunting!

Harold

Lindsay Fox had/has a red one in his museum in Melbourne. Very low kms.

Shannons auctioned a red one in 2008 it was, I think?

You could give Rob Raymer at RSR Garage a call.

If anyone knows where they are hiding, he will.

From what I can work out the narrow bodied one is the one to have, if only because its even rarer again, and looks lovely.

I could go one of those, but I've never seen one in Australia.

I'm off to the UK in September and you've got me thinking.

Been trying to work out what a good holiday car would be to bring home, and it has to be 1989 or earlier.............

Harold

Lindsay Fox had/has a red one in his museum in Melbourne. Very low kms.

Shannons auctioned a red one in 2008 it was, I think?

You could give Rob Raymer at RSR Garage a call.

If anyone knows where they are hiding, he will.

From what I can work out the narrow bodied one is the one to have, if only because its even rarer again, and looks lovely.

I could go one of those, but I've never seen one in Australia.

I'm off to the UK in September and you've got me thinking.

Been trying to work out what a good holiday car would be to bring home, and it has to be 1989 or earlier.............

Ah yes, rob. I bought my 993 from him years back mate. Will contact him. The narrow body was indeed far rarer, but I love the wide body and I remember seeing one in Perth many many years ago in peppermint grove- a white wide body.... Exactly what I want.

Simon, would make a ton of sense to bring one of those back as they are so much more common in the Uk and given that they were fair weather cars would never have been open to salt laid roads in the UK and I imagine as a result not be laden with rust. The red narrow body 964 speedster I was tracking for a period of time on carsales was actually the rarest of the speedsters in rhd. I should really have bitten the bullet on that one.....I hate my slowness sometimes.

My first real P car experience other than looking at, was thrashing a mates 89 widebody speedster (in White) around calder ,It was THE car that made me realise that I did indeed need a porsche of my own. I had the opportunity to and would have  purchased that car, but after driving it to Shepparton and back to do a DECA day in it decided that the buffeting at speed  far outweighed the attraction   (high on the list of Steve`s stupidest financial decisions) 

My first real P car experience other than looking at, was thrashing a mates 89 widebody speedster (in White) around calder ,It was THE car that made me realise that I did indeed need a porsche of my own. I had the opportunity to and would have purchased that car, but after driving it to Shepparton and back to do a DECA day in it decided that the buffeting at speed far outweighed the attraction (high on the list of Steve`s stupidest financial decisions)

Hi steve,

would you happen to know what happened to that car that your friend had? Yes a real pity you didn't pick up that car.. You wouldn't have lost a cent on it I believe. Agree that the speedster is not a car for the track or fast long distance sprints but boy it is perfect for a Sunday morning drive.

Hi steve,

would you happen to know what happened to that car that your friend had? Yes a real pity you didn't pick up that car.. You wouldn't have lost a cent on it I believe. Agree that the speedster is not a car for the track or fast long distance sprints but boy it is perfect for a Sunday morning drive.

Nope,it disappeared into the ether.we were talking about that car just last week, him saying that he should have kept it and me that I should have bought it off him. Shit happens. At the time it was probably worth three and a half longbonnets, I don`t think it would be worth that now or, ever again

Nope,it disappeared into the ether.we were talking about that car just last week, him saying that he should have kept it and me that I should have bought it off him. Shit happens. At the time it was probably worth three and a half longbonnets, I don`t think it would be worth that now or, ever again

Haha. Yep but think that was a function of the massive appreciation of the long bonnets as opposed to the massive depreciation of the speedster... Or maybe a bit of both.

Archived