Amanda, it doesn't make sense to me to drive your car at higher revs to try to preserve a ball bearing. That might have benefits in other areas but higher revs imparted on that type of bearing would logically do more damage than less. My humble opinion only, for what it's worth.

The way it was explained to me made perfect sense, and the guy that explained this to me isn't the first person I've heard say this.

LN also advise this on the website here  - so I am trying to make statements that have some validity to them tomoaus  :)

I have more information on the IMS Solution in Australia.  BWA Auto are the Australian distributors for LN Engineering products (but of course, other Independents import them too)  I spoke to BWA yesterday and I have also emailed Charles Navarro from LN Engineering both sources have told me the same thing...

The IMS Solution kits only arrived in Australia to BWA 2 weeks ago.  BWA have installed 2 kits so far and Weltmeister have done 1 install. As far as I know, thats IT in this fine country so far.

Also, BWA and LN Engineering are not offering warranty on the single row bearing retrofit kits due to world wide failures. The root cause of these failures isn't known, it can be many things which is why they are not investigating this further.  BWA had one failure themselves and actually rebuilt the failed engine at their expense.

Anyhoo, thought I'd add this for anyone watching this thread.

I'm going to have Weltmeister install The IMS Solution in my 987.  I don't feel I have any other choices really.  My car fits the criteria for a failure when comparing it to cars that have failed  ie low mileage of the cars lifespan, well cared for and of course the smaller bearing!

it's very hard not to hate Porsche for fitting a smaller bearing in a more powerful car KNOWING the issues in these M96 engines but then you jump in the car, drop the roof on a lovely sunny morning like today and realise how wonderful this car is. So my only action is to protect myself against the things I can and enjoy the car!

And as Russ said above... by doing this I won't have to be so worried about how many revs I have when doing 60km/hr! 

Thanks for reading all this Theo.  The whole thing is mind boggling and it's also a huge disappointment.  I'm hoping this brings peace of mind for me and also anyone else who was worried about buying one of these cars for this issue alone.

I'm also choosing Weltmeister to do the job as they have by far been the most educated in this IMS Solution and have experience already. I'm  hoping that choice also pays off!

• 3 weeks later...

So my car is booked in for August 26th to have the IMS Solution installed. The shop doing the install has performed a few of these upgrades now and are slowly coming to grips with the steps needed.  I feel very comfortable with my choice of installer, as I feel they have been very open and transparent in talking me through it all.

I just watched this video outlining the installation steps. I got to see the chain tensioners, which I believe make a bit of a rattling sound in my car every now and then on start up!  I'm learning so much it's not funny.  Which is why I chose the Boxster over an older car.. figured this is a good starting point for me to Porsche ownership - not to mention I love the damned car!

http://vimeo.com/62719716

I've been quoted $3500 to have it fitted in case anyone is curious and it takes a good 12 hours to 2 days to do the install.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go - I'm sure many others on here are curious about this.  I hope this pays off and I have a nice strong engine  :unsure:  :wacko:  ;)

http://vimeo.com/62719716

I've been quoted $3500 to have it fitted in case anyone is curious and it takes a good 12 hours to 2 days to do the install.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go - I'm sure many others on here are curious about this.  I hope this pays off and I have a nice strong engine  :unsure:  :wacko:  ;)

You already have a nice strong engine. :) But for one small fatal flaw , that Porsche won't man up to. $3500 ( for many that's $7k to be earnt) is a bitter pill to swallow as you guys also have to swallow big maintenance bills too - as they are not user friendly.

True Tazzieman BUT its such a friggin awesome car! If $3500 fixes it for the life of the engine then that's ok by me. The money is an investment :)

It's not like I didn't know what I was getting into. It's the people that buy water cooled Porsches off the air-cooled reliability reputation and suffer these issues that I really feel bad for.

BUT its such a friggin awesome car! If $3500 fixes it for the life of the engine then that's ok by me. The money is an investment :)

If I didn't know you were a girl , I'd swear you were talking like a car guy to his wife  :D

True Tazzieman BUT its such a friggin awesome car! If $3500 fixes it for the life of the engine then that's ok by me. The money is an investment :)

It's not like I didn't know what I was getting into. It's the people that buy water cooled Porsches off the air-cooled reliability reputation and suffer these issues that I really feel bad for.

Wow!!!!! It seems forever ago that you were bitching about the Merc.

Now you're spending money and still happy!

Must be content.

Wow!!!!! It seems forever ago that you were bitching about the Merc.Now you're spending money and still happy!Must be content.

The difference is that the Merc had broken down a bunch of times by now and stupid interior things were breaking!! $1000 plus for a centre console lid pffffft

The 987 is far better built and has also been well loved by its previous owners :) makes a difference for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

So my car is still under the errrr spanner!

This is the first 987 they've done and are finding an extra 'quirk' in the install compared to the 986 installs they've done. I won't go into it now and will instead provide full story once they've got it sorted out!

Miss the car like crazy, weird not seeing her in the garage. Had to drive a flexicar to Dr appt today - I've managed to get the flu :( :(

They've completed a few installs now. Mine was the first 987, which presented a new challenge compared to the 986s. Was fairly minor but a show stopper. It's all good now and I will be collecting the car tomorrow.

Yippee - I will be driving all weekend dammit! Hope this warm weather holds (minus that bucketing down rain tonight)

Archived