Porsche 911 options

Now I am going round and round in circles here ,

Started looking at a Carrera 3.0lt 1976 model, then a 993 non turbo, then a 993 turbo, 

Then 996 non turbo then a 996 turbo

Pricing from 50K to 80K, who has owned these and where do I go?

I think they will all hold their value or am I wrong, which is better and more exciting to drive

The 996 Turbo looks nice

Suggestions or advice guys?

Thanks

I think quite a few people have been through this on here?

I did but it wasn't that bad - I just went from wanting an SC to any impact bumper.

and don't take this the wrong way, but can I suggest you make a thread like "saozzi's 'what car' thread" similar to what Amanda did? - it'll make it easier for the next person to find and read (and PS. you should check Amanda's thread, she went through a similar thing)

how long is a piece of string! 

If it were me; 996 Turbo.. that is the car to buy right now! it was my 2nd option when I was looking but I am in a position that I could make some compromises and track work was high on my priority list!

So yes, they're good value buying now, not sure of future value.. $80k budget is a little on the low side but one guy on here did just pick one up for circa $70k IIRC.  You simply will not find a 993 Turbo in that budget, so either forget it or raise the budget.

The 996 Turbo will trump all in terms of performance in that ball park! That's the Porsche car that won me over many moons ago! 

As edgy mentioned, unless your budget extends to around $120k or more, then the 993tt is out.. but i think at the very least you should try the cars youve listed given that they would drive quite differently. You may prefer one over the other for various reasons.

Go and drive them... You'll soon get a feel for what floats your boat.

Comparing them on paper (or internet) is only half of the equation.

They will hold values differently - particularly the 996s, which IMHO will still go down (unless you get a rarer one, which is expensive)...

You won't get a 993 Turbo for that budget. You will probably get a 993 Carrera but not a Carrera S.

The 996 Turbo is an absolute bargain at current prices and with so many on the market you can drive a good bargain.

I would skip a 996 Carrera and you might be able to even get a 997 Carrera for that price, just make sure it's a manual.

You won't get a 993 Turbo for that budget. You will probably get a 993 Carrera but not a Carrera S.

The 996 Turbo is an absolute bargain at current prices and with so many on the market you can drive a good bargain.

I would skip a 996 Carrera and you might be able to even get a 997 Carrera for that price, just make sure it's a manual.

Have you seen this 996 has been for sale for 12 months now

2001 Porsche 911 996 Turbo MY01

Hi Saozzi,

Yes they are all Porsches and variants of the '911' but aside from that they are all very different cars in terms of prices and ownership. If you want some more constructive feedback you need to really define what you are after in a '911', what kind of driving do you want to pursue, are you wanting something to develop or just drive and enjoy standard?

In my opinion this will be the most helpful way to narrow your search, predicting future values etc. secondary - any well kept 911 will retain a certain amount of value. As other members have said, driving them will give you a much bette understanding of the cars.

Have you seen this 996 has been for sale for 12 months now

2001 Porsche 911 996 Turbo MY01

That one has been for sale for well over a year now, started off at a much higher price.

Looks the goods but the 2003 to 2005 models are more sort after, as usual last of series is best plus lots more standard options

and most importantly the chassis is 25% stiffer which is very noticeable.

That one has been for sale for well over a year now, started off at a much higher price.

Looks the goods but the 2003 to 2005 models are more sort after, as usual last of series is best plus lots more standard options

and most importantly the chassis is 25% stiffer which is very noticeable.

Yours looks good in silver !

Have you seen this 996 has been for sale for 12 months now 2001 Porsche 911 996 Turbo MY01

$96,970

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-679939/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Yup, nice looking car.. Probably a bit too expensive though! I'd be looking for 04-05 if I were you... There was a nice 04 grey/red one a couple of months back listed at $89k I think it was... Didn't last!!

I'm not sure if it affects you but the insurance is fairly high on the TTs... It was at least $1k more than a GT3 to insure, go figure?

Archived