Try hard Top Gear Want To Be

Wow Simon that turned out fantastic and I learned something as very informative too.

I have been thinking of doing a similar project on the 944 for the last week or so, as I am still getting all the equipment together to do my big project. I have a few bits and pieces to go before I can start it but have almost everything I need now. I also figured I may as well take my time getting the gear I need as winter was the wrong time to start shooting. Anyway congrats mate and I may hit you up for some help on my big project now that you are an accomplished film maker in your own right :)

Wow, what a response!!! Thanks so much everyone for the fantastic feedback! I didn't really have any expectations for the film. It's just something I wanted to do as I've enjoyed making home movies in the past and obviously I love my Porshe also. I went in to it knowing it was going to take a lot of time both filming and editing but I think if I did it again, I'd be a lot more efficient at it. A lot of the editing time was taken up learning the software program and if I had to shoot again, I'd do my best to do it all in one day and borrow a second camera.

The first part of the film was shot between Lancefield and Tooborac in central Victoria. I thought the rock formations made for an interesting back drop. The problem was it was a 2 hour drive to get out there. The first visit was a bit of a recon trip but I also took some footage at the same time. Most of it had to be discarded because the lighting blew out most of the shots. That's one of the problems with not having a view finder on the GoPro. Lesson learned. There was then two more trips out there taking various footage, some again discarded and the rest made it to the video. The problem was I would only get a couple hours of filming each time before I'd have to get my slack ar$e to work. The 4th visit out there, I had the run in with the kangaroo before I even got the camera out. It was a shame because I'd found this amazing road between Lancefield and Pyalong which would have been great in the movie. By now, the season had changed and everything had turned from brown to a lush green and it kind of spoiled the continuity of the film. So it meant a rethink of how the movie was going to flow. That's when I came up with the freeway section and Boneo Rd near Cape Shank. It also meant filming was a lot closer to home and I didn't feel so bad asking my brother to help out. It also meant the final result turned out better than I'd hoped. The only other thing I would have liked was a drone to take some footage from but I couldn't justify the expense.

After a day and a half, it has 107 hits and has been viewed in Sweden, Poland, Spain and the United States. Not bad! Please feel free to share it. I'm not hoping to become famous or anything but if other Porsche enthusiasts enjoy it, then that's great. 

SImon, you have certainly upped the ante on home made car videos. It got me thinking about what to do with my recently acquired Gopro. (btw the Gopro app and software has recently been updated to allow viewing and storing video on your iPhone.)

There was talk a while back of having a PFA film night for footage just like this. Your video is a great example of what can be done with a little thought,planning and effort. Get busy people...

Simon, as Harvs says the later version allows a preview on your iPhone or as i found it works just as well on the ipad, makes setting everything up much easier & more focused.

"I'm not hoping to become famous or anything but if other Porsche enthusiasts enjoy it, then that's great. " Too late Simon, we may have a star in our midst!!

• 6 months later...

:angry: I'm gutted. Youtube have pulled the audio on my movie due to copyright infringement. I bet Coldplay couldn't car less that I used a minute of their work. It got to 2,100 views and was in the top 5 search results for Porsche 911 Carerra 3.2. In the last month it was getting about 40 hits a day so it was starting to gather momentum. Very dissapointed. I guess I'll have find some time and make another one.

:angry: I'm gutted. Youtube have pulled the audio on my movie due to copyright infringement. I bet Coldplay couldn't car less that I used a minute of their work. It got to 2,100 views and was in the top 5 search results for Porsche 911 Carerra 3.2. In the last month it was getting about 40 hits a day so it was starting to gather momentum. Very dissapointed. I guess I'll have find some time and make another one.

I think you're suppose to write a disclaimer stating you're only using their song and all the rights belong to them. 

Unfortunately it's not that easy Pauly. You have to hold a licence to use it, otherwise you're breaking the law. I understand why the laws are in place but I think it's a bit pathetic in this instance.

Are you sure? I see many videos using any songs and at the bottom it's always saying the rights of this song belong to the artist/producer and recording agency looks like they have no issues?

Could be wrong though.  

Youtube uses a content ID program that scans your video and matches it to any audio it has in its database kind of like Shazam. So it doesn't matter what you put in the credits. It will then deal with your movie based on what the record label instructs. Most record labels will just allow you to acknowledge the third party content and then either block it in some countries (normally only Germany for some reason) and they allow ads to be displayed over the top of your movie. Warner Music Group require the song to be removed all together. Unfortunately Youtube's software isn't smart enough to remove just that song and it removes all audio. Youtube normally picks it up as soon as you upload. I'm a bit pissed that it's taken them 6 months to discover this one. I think because it had half a dozen songs in it, it didn't pick them up straight away. Oh well. I'll drop the tone of that song by half a tone then reupload it and link the old movie to the new one. I'm sure Drive will see it one day and give me a call :)

Hey Simon,

You should be able to grab some copywriter free music and replace the Coldplay

if you know the duration and style you want let me know I might know someone who could suggest some.

Won't be Coldplay but it will get the video back on-line

All fixed. Opening post updated with a new link to the updated movie. Hard to find a good song that's licence free as there's a reason why it's licence free. I quite like the song I found in the end although I prefer the original Coldplay song. It's been ages since I'd looked at this movie. Getting back into the editing has me wanting to do another one.

nice work again! 

If you ever want to do another car video, let me know. I have a gopro we can use, handycam and a DSLR, tripod too. 

Even if it's like a "top gear road trip" style with a few different cars. 

Just need a camera crew with a 4x4 and someone at the back filming :P

PFA productions colab :o

Thanks guys. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I need to get the creative part of my brain working. I'd love to do some sort of PFA thing. I know there's quite a few people that would want to be part of it which in itself makes it quite difficult to coordinate. I'll have a think about it.

Archived