New Newcastle Track Upgrades (Ringwood)

Stardust

No Novocastrian offence meant. Nor do I intend to slander any Goulburnites on the forum. Just my view from where I sit. We've lost two large tracks over the decades so to see more is great.

Didn't even know about Marulan! The things you learn.

All good Stardust, I guess i'm just a bit sick and tired of Newcastle being referred to as the poor cousin, the northern, northern suburb if you get my drift.

We can stand on our own two feet very well up here thankyou very much.

Sorry for being a proud Novocastrian. Motorsport has always been a massive part of life in Newcastle, it has a huge following, we are left with only 5 motorcross tracks now, no speedway for cars, used to be 2, one of the best go kart tracks in the country and the Ringwood facility which is a hillclimb.

I guess you should be glad you've got a facility like eastern creek in your backyard, we nearly had one in Newcastle 25 years ago but I think council kept making up excuses not to let it go ahead.

Let's see if we can hold on to them before the fun police get their claws into another one of our "noisemakers".

Sorry for my rant, no offence intended to anyone.

I came across this track earlier in the year - but it is a Hillclimb not a Racetrack, locally run

The track is narrow, so even if they did make it a circuit I doubt you could call it a Race circuit - but it is great to see any track developments around the country.

I think Govt money is better spend on permanent year round facilities rather than street circuits so you have passing room and don't end up with 6 car pile-ups ! IMO

All good Stardust, I guess i'm just a bit sick and tired of Newcastle being referred to as the poor cousin, the northern, northern suburb if you get my drift.

We can stand on our own two feet very well up here thankyou very much.

Sorry for being a proud Novocastrian. Motorsport has always been a massive part of life in Newcastle, it has a huge following, we are left with only 5 motorcross tracks now, no speedway for cars, used to be 2, one of the best go kart tracks in the country and the Ringwood facility which is a hillclimb.

I guess you should be glad you've got a facility like eastern creek in your backyard, we nearly had one in Newcastle 25 years ago but I think council kept making up excuses not to let it go ahead.

Let's see if we can hold on to them before the fun police get their claws into another one of our "noisemakers".

Sorry for my rant, no offence intended to anyone.

What, Newcastle isn't a suburb of Sydney? When did this happen? Why wasn't I told?

Having driven at that Hillclimb some years back I can't imagine that they could integrate it into an actual race track? Seems more like they're making a Mt Cotton type setup?

Edit: Didn't see this first. http://www.ringwoodraceway.com.au/index.php?module=circuit

Looks fun. Hope it works out for you Novo boys. Be nice to drive north instead of south to W.P. for a change. 

Just a couple of additions

1. 3 circuits lost in Sydney, Warwick Farm, Amaroo Park and Oran Park plus Liverpool speedway plus Castlereagh Drag strip

2. 3 Speedways. Heddon Greta (1/2 mile oval reduced to 1/3 mile and short track added after Jerilderie Park opened), Jerilderie Park (later known as the Newcastle Motordrome) and Salty Creek (short track).

Then, if you include the Maitland and Broadmeadow show grounds, which were speedway bikes and sidecars then its five,

3. go-cart track at Gateshead. (Probably more that I don't know about)

Newcastle," just north of Sydney" (as the news has always quoted and always irritated) was probably the best kept secret, and kept those "Sydney types" away, especially with the dirty BHP steel works  and coal mines.  Then, in the 80's the BHP closed, the rail line was electrified, the POHMS announced that they were going to hand over Hong Kong to the Chinese, causing the housing boom in Sydney.  So, the now the Sydney-ites sold their houses (to the richer Chinese, who came over to get Australian citizenship just in case HK turned pear shaped) and cashed up, ventured north to find a now "cleaner" Newcastle, bought cheap houses and commuted to Sydney for work.  They also discovered all the hidden secrets of Newcastle then word got out.....bugga !  Invasion.

Sidenote: And Newcastle was finally allowed to field a team in the Rugby League (and beat them).  Not that I like the game.

Anyway, just a bit of trivia.

3 tracks at Mulbring years ago, my dad raced speedway, british twins then onto solo's, and there was a speedway at Mulbring, and 2 scramble tracks as they used to call them in the day, now they call it motorcross.

More trivia, anyone know of any other long lost tracks.

I think Calder in Melbourne is in death throws - and Sandown is on borrowed time !

Only Phillip Island and Winton as main tracks ie Congestion for the use demanded.

Lost - Gold coast, Surfers track in the Valley.

Surfers track was where I saw my first car race live.  Formula 5000's.  Then a couple of years later saw my first Drag racing.

Gone to make way for  "a good walk spoiled" course.  Mark Twain's words.

MG Car Club track Near Brandy Hills....gone

Tamworth go-kart track has been moved 4 times, now at Oakburn Park.

Blue Vale speedway at Gunnedah gone!

Another one gone: Catalina Park at Katoomba

Yes, I saw Colin Bond and (his navigator) Murray Walker down at a Tassie Targa.

I told Colin I used to watch him there flying around in the Harry Firth modded - Supercharged XU-1, which he told me was a lot of fun !

Archived