918 Demolishes Nurburgring

SteamWolf

Thought that was very impressive considering it was on street tyres. Michelin looking things in one of the two videos floating around. You could see on the in car video that he's struggling with front end push and it looks like fairly early in the morning (ie cold track temps). He does an amazing job in my opinion. Clearly the car is pretty capable too. That really is a daunting track at those speeds. Takes a lot of skill and big cojones!!

Very impressive.  I wasn't sure about the 918.  On paper it is way behind the Mclaren and Ferrari but I guess we need to trust the Porsche engineers more.  They seem to be able to do amazing things making less powerful and heavier cars punch above their weight!

At 1.3 mill compared to 180odd thousand, not really a comparable fight

That's why Porsche is better then nissan. I don't think they bought a GTR to pull apart and copy their features to make the 918 any quicker. 

Isn't that how the GTR was build. They bought a 911 turbo and well copied it and made it out of plastic. 

That's why Porsche is better then nissan. I don't think they bought a GTR to pull apart and copy their features to make the 918 any quicker. 

Isn't that how the GTR was build. They bought a 911 turbo and well copied it and made it out of plastic. 

They did however pay Mitsubishi $8.00 for every 944 that they built for using their balance shaft technology

CRIKEY!! You learn everyday. Apparently Porsche doesn't use plastic in any of their creations at all, ever.

Plastic or not the Nissan is probably the best all round motorcar that I have ever driven and growing up in a car dealing, motor racing family I have been lucky enough to drive a few exceptional vehicles in their time over the years.  

The "Godzilla" is an extraordinarily capable motor vehicle without any shadow of doubt especially when price is taken into consideration. Even a poverty pack 911 is probably 40 or 50K more expensive let alone the more realistic equivalent 911 4wh. drive turbo and I can't even begin to imagine how much more that would cost.

One could probably have about 7.2 GTR's for the price of one 918 if you could be lucky enough to be allowed to have one. A different colour for every day of the week, literally.

You can also carry 4 people.

Can't be all that bad, can it.

Do I want one? apart from the fact that I couldn't afford one anyway. No I'm happy with what I have got but one make car club bias can be a little frustrating at times.

Dave

The 918 is certainly no slouch and the records are deserved. However, bang for your buck................the GTR can not be beat if you are after straight up, mind numbing, driver disconnected performance.

Archived