Macan is a big part of Porsche growth plan

reax

http://www.autonews.com/article/20130909/OEM04/309099941/macan-is-a-big-part-of-porsche-growth-plan#axzz2fFPHwN9C

Of interest was this note as I heard more rumours recently of Porsche reconsidering an entry level car.

Entry-level roadster: Porsche dropped plans to work with Volkswagen to develop a mid-engine roadster aimed at young buyers out of concern the project could cheapen Porsche's image. Though that worry persists, Porsche developers continue to look at this segment.

One scenario has Porsche sharing architecture with Audi, with a roadster for Porsche and a coupe for Audi. The success of the Macan program could influence the decision-making for this segment. The earliest any vehicle could be ready is 2017 or 2018.

Hypothetical question. Porsche release an entry level sports car i.e: a modern era 914, how much of an effect would that have on used 911 prices. Not picking on any model in particular, but for example the 996 (I would own one if I could afford it). Would it detract from the second hand car market as you could now buy a brand new Porsche for the same money as a used mid 2000 996 with the added value of new car warranty etc etc.

I could see a lot of sales of an entry level Porsche in Australia , especially now that car leases are now back in vogue. But as Australia is such a small market, I don't think that figures into market analysis for sales. 

Hypothetical question. Porsche release an entry level sports car i.e: a modern era 914, how much of an effect would that have on used 911 prices. Not picking on any model in particular, but for example the 996 (I would own one if I could afford it). Would it detract from the second hand car market as you could now buy a brand new Porsche for the same money as a used mid 2000 996 with the added value of new car warranty etc etc.

I could see a lot of sales of an entry level Porsche in Australia , especially now that car leases are now back in vogue. But as Australia is such a small market, I don't think that figures into market analysis for sales. 

probably about as much effect as the Boxster or Cayman have on used 911's, they are an option but difficult to compare with someone wanting a 911.

I think a person is either into a 911, or is happy to buy any other car. I didn't search carsales for 2 door coupe and then found the 911......oh no.... I knew EXACTLY what I wanted.

Would be happy to see a cheaper entry porsche still

Exactly.

• 4 months later...

It will depend on the buyer. So you always wanted a Porsche and the time comes where you think you can afford one. You want a 911 or maybe a Boxster... so you jump online and start reading about them.   First thing you discover is things like IMS, engine costs $20k and min of 10k to rebuild, failed oil pumps, RMS.. etc etc etc .. then you look at newer offerings and see the 'entry level sports car'  you get warranty, Porsche build quality... and its NEW.  A new Porsche!

I think it would definitely take 'some' market share off the older cars.... 

I can't help but think an entry level roadster would suffer the same performance restrictions as the Boxster/Caymans do versus the 911. If this was to be a shared platform with Audi, will that mean front drive or Quattro? The investment in a new chassis for a niche model doesn't make sense. It would surely be a chassis shared with the run of the mill small Audi's/VW.

The buyers for a cheap roadster would likely be an easily distracted younger generation. It would need all the latest toys and gadgets to keep their attention. This would be added fat to what should be a lightweight 'sports car'. Would they accept a simple, true drivers car with the bias on handling and driving fun?

"Entry level" is a crowded market. how much $$ are they going for?

$50k ? Into MX5 territory? and there those new Toyota/Subaru FT86's at $30K

Or say the price of an Audi TT at $70K or the audi S3 at $60K?

the Boxster is now $100K and up right?

Archived