Spare wheel (if you can call it that) for late 70's 911

PeterP

Looking for advice or feedback regarding the usefulness of the spare. Yesterday I lot some plastic and metal from a previous crash in my rear left, which luckily got me home before deflating.

That prompted me to have a look at the limp home spare in the front. First this there is no compressor, not sure if there's supposed to be, or what one would even look like. Secondly when I decided to infante the spare as per the directions, is basically just leaks around the funny looking valve assembly.

Can anyone give me some feedback on their experiences with these things? I'd hate to have been a couple of hundred K's away from home, or it would have been on the back of a truck me thinks.....

Appreciate feedback on what others have in this area.

Cheers

Peter

Yep what Doug said. I had a blow out coming back from an SMT to Noojee and had to break out the spare. Inflated in no time and drove from near drouin back to cheltenham at 80kmh. Felt fine although I wouldn't want it on for longer than that. Deflated and folded it back down and it's there if ever I need it again. Hopefully never.....

C

My original spare inflates and holds air and for all intents and purposes appears "as new". As it is hidden it is has theoretically been protected form chemicals and UV and is unworn. But ozone and heat will degrade rubber over time.

There are many who would say don't ever use it , based on it's age.

Not sure where I would stand if I had an accident whilst it was deployed.

Good luck finding a "OEM" replacement tyre!

And you probably know , you can only use it on the front. In an emergency . If back tyre blows , good front goes on back and the spare goes on front. In an sc at least.

I always carry a can of tyre repair , a compressor (in case of slow leaks as well), a garbage bag to put a muddy wet wheel in , and a 944 alu scissor jack - not the wobbly one that is good for concours only.

If in doubt - truck it home!

Tazzieman, have to agree about the truck it home concept; but. Like your list of essentials. The space save looks as if it has never been used, and frankly I'm not seeing it used any time soon. So a can of tyre repair etc is on the list.

Good news is they were able to plug the hole in the rear and we are now good to go....

Friend of ours just bought an old Fuch rim, 15x7 from memory, to use as his spare.  His plan was to simply store it on top of his fold down rear seats, but unbelievably it fits perfectly under the bonnet - so no need to risk driving on his 30 year old space saver - brilliant idea!

Alex

Archived