Shifters

duk

Looking at the other post in this section talking about the wevo shifter and how good it is , has anyone tried the shifter made by west engineering, i think that is the name, It looks similar but how does it feel?

J West Engineering make the Rennshifter. Google it for a good description.I have one on my 901 gearbox and it is much better than the factory shift and 20% less movement, can go to 33% but most users seem to go the 20. Suits 901 and 915 gearboxes. You might want to start by putting in new couplings first on the shift rod, could save the cost of a shifter.Tom Walstab swears by his.If you get one, get the extended shifter, no extra cost and easier to reach. Not as slick as a modern shift but a big improvement.

Haven't used a Wevo, so sorry can't compare.

Regards

Paul M.

• 1 year later...

In the order of $1,600 supply and install, including a rear coupler. I have the Classic Design and reused the original knob and boot, so hard to tell the difference from original.

Could maybe do cheaper if you ordered directly from o/s and install yourself.

Mike

Could maybe do cheaper if you ordered directly from o/s and install yourself.

Mine cost me $680 incl. postage directly from Wevo, install was not that hard. Hayden made a longer lever for me at no extra charge. Made a big difference. Cheap way to upgrade the shifter coupler is to buy bushings from Ed (i think his forum name is ivangene) on Pelican for $35 incl. postage.

Guest vas930

Just be aware that any of these shifters DO NOT make the gear change faster.

They do have a nice feel and the reverse lock out is a good safety item.

But faster, no. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just be aware that any of these shifters DO NOT make the gear change faster.

They do have a nice feel and the reverse lock out is a good safety item.

But faster, no. :)

if you replace the shifter and the rubber based rear universal coupling, you may get a pleasant surprise

• 1 month later...

Has anyone fitted a short shifter to a 996 series car, and if so what type was it and where is it sourced from?

The distance of travel with my standard lever is nothing like what I am used to using, so maybe a short shifter would make me feel more at home?

I have noticed on one of the UK supplier's sites that an OEM unit is available which presumably was supplied or offered as an option on later 996 series cars?

Guest vas930

if you replace the shifter and the rubber based rear universal coupling, you may get a pleasant surprise

It may feel better, but the gearbox itself will always be the limiting factor.

The shifter cant change that.

But they do feel better. :)

Guest Nick987

I have thought about this conversion and was convinced otherwise...but now have panel of experts to ask :D

Do you need more force to engage a gear in the gate with a short throw? Slot it in so to speak? Guy at Weltmeister told me the throw is shorter but more force is required to get the gear selected which can slow the action down and increase fatiguing after a while. Easier selections are faster even if the throw is slightly longer.

Thoughts?

Does anyone have photos of these shifters?

I can't even imagine what a $1600 shifter looks like haha. I'm quite curious to see more

My standard 915 shifter has a reverse lockout between 5th and reverse, I take it that's factory on all the 915 cars. The lockout on these is a depression one or a lever one is it?

Check out the Wevo web site, as they have photos etc of shifters for IB model 911's. However there are other suppliers as well. They are certainly not as expensive to buy and install yourself, but unfortunately i am time poor and have to pay for my mech to install. As noted by others they don't make shifting faster, but certainly more precise and less travel. I noticed a huge difference (positive) at my first track day after having installed one.

Hmmm... the shafts and the knobs look very 'nice' but I'm not seeing that much about them technically. I swear the existing shifter on my car has a functioning reverse lockout that I spotted when I was repairing the shifter boot.

Was your old shifter a bit tired or was it in good condition? Without having pulled one apart yet, I'll say I'd imagine there are bushes etc that can get a bit flogged out and make a significant difference in the performance of the shifter.

Anyway, once I get my pedal box working properly and throttle adjusted up nice and tight I'll see how I feel about mine. It has been a bit tricky and it feels like all the synchros are worn out so I've just been doubling it the whole time.

• 1 month later...

Archived