How much is too much for SC

With the hope to purchase an SC in around 6 months, I'm constantly reviewing the classifieds trying to gather an understanding of the market. 

There a few very tasty SC's on Carsales at present but I'm wondering how much is too much to pay for an SC?

Gorgeous car and great history with plenty spent on it but close to $50k

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1978/AGC-AD-14653827/?Cr=20&sdmvc=1

Perfect colour combo, very low k's but very high price and no advertised engine/gearbox work

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1980/SSE-AD-1093729/?Cr=29&sdmvc=1

A lot spent and a beautiful car but again, close to $50k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1982/SSE-AD-2360033/?Cr=34&sdmvc=1

I appreciate that 2 of the vehicles have had a lot spent on them and they are fine examples which would hopefully present trouble free motoring for years to come, but would you be mad to pay that for an SC?

Im sure others that follow the SC market and own SC's will chime in but i was advised typical SC prices are around the low 40's for a good example when i was looking (not so long ago).. I think the black one has been for sale for a while.

I'd want a 3.2 G50 car for the near as damn it to 50K. If you can haggle your way down to lower 40's all of those cars look ok. I'd want more info on the Black on Black car. The white car looks good but the ad is not very well written. I dig the red car just for the wingless clean lines.

I have been following the impact bumper market (3.0 SC and 3.2 Carrera) for a good few years now and feel the prices of this classic shape is on the increase.

Currently and most likely because of the GFC i feel prices have plateaued or corrected a little, however, they are creeping up. The examples you have listed appear in excellent condition, particularly the red one.

If the PPI checks out ok, I think you should bite the bullet and go for it. I did!

3 nice examples there. The 2 with higher km's both have recently rebuilt engines which is insurance against broken head studs. What sort of track related wear is showing on the white one?

The red one for me. There might be a bit of room in the price if you ask nicely.

With the hope to purchase an SC in around 6 months, I'm constantly reviewing the classifieds trying to gather an understanding of the market. 

There a few very tasty SC's on Carsales at present but I'm wondering how much is too much to pay for an SC?

Gorgeous car and great history with plenty spent on it but close to $50k

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1978/AGC-AD-14653827/?Cr=20&sdmvc=1

Perfect colour combo, very low k's but very high price and no advertised engine/gearbox work

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1980/SSE-AD-1093729/?Cr=29&sdmvc=1

A lot spent and a beautiful car but again, close to $50k

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1982/SSE-AD-2360033/?Cr=34&sdmvc=1

I appreciate that 2 of the vehicles have had a lot spent on them and they are fine examples which would hopefully present trouble free motoring for years to come, but would you be mad to pay that for an SC?

You moving out of the S3? Welcome to PFA!

Hey poli84,

The red SC at Hamilton's would be my pick. A close friend bought the last SC they sold (black '79 coupe) and it is a very well sorted car. The ad reads that the red car would be no different. From my personal experience if it passes through their hands it's sorted. Strong plug I know but well deserved.

Finally from my recent experience (bought '80 SC in Feb this yr) you could easily dump $30k on mechanicals alone getting a tired SC/3.2 up to the std of the white or red car - assuming cars are as advertised.

Cheers

Michael

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

Yes, 3 very nice examples there but unfortunately as I said in my OP, still about 6 months away from pulling the trigger.

From your comments however, low 40's should be the price for a well sorted SC.

I agree with you Uncle, $50k should buy a 3.2 with a G50.

Ultimately I am after a black on black, well sorted SC which I will most definitely de-wing.

The type of vehicle I must be patient for.

Tecknostar, thanks for the welcome.

Yes, will start to think about moving the S3 in the new year and hopefully join the 911 club shortly after.

Having recently bought my 1st 911 SC after many many months of looking, in my experience what you see in the ad and what you see i real life can differ greatly and is rarely on the positive side.Of course the prices shown are the "Asking" not necessarily what they will sell for, and this is how I often hear people talk about 911 values e.g. "SC's are going for around 50k" 

I've attached an extract from the Glass's Guide (NOTE: "GUIDE") for 1980 911 SC Coupe and Targa, for those who are not familiar with it, Glass's Guide is one of the motor trade price guides available and similar to Red Book but there is no limited free web version you have to pay an annual subscription for access. These values are meant to be based on recorded sales from the motor industry, although I'm not sure exactly how that data is captured. An in fairness you will often see in the guide for some vehicles there is no price as there was not enough data.

The price ranges are based on a detailed criteria which is laid out in the guide but to generalise and summarise, Below average would reflect auction/wholesale price, Average would reflect say private sale and above average would be a dealer sale.  

Now as an example, my car (IMO) would meet the average criteria and also some of the above average criteria so my value should be be somewhere in between the $32200 and $41800. However that is my value as the seller not the buyer, I.E "Yes mate it does need a bit of paint work buy that would only be 2 grand Blah Blah Blah",when in reality it would be more like $4K!  The guide is intended to provide a base price and you add and subtract accordingly.

So we have 3 Carsales 911 SC ads of different years,milages and conditions, 2 private sales and one from a dealer.  I would assume, dealer one will have a trade in allowance and statuary warranty built in to the asking price.  So we are not really comparing apples with apples, are we?

I think Uncle's comments are a great example of how we think and are on the money, mileage,colour, year and model have different levels of importance/desirability for different people so some will pay more for a red car than a white one, some people will pay more for an newer car with higher KM's than an older car with lower Km's. So some of us with look at the black car and think that has everything i want and expect so i'd pay that price. Someone else might might go , not worth that to me as its black and I'd prefer a Red one.

I used to work in an industry where this guide was used regularly and often incorrectly. I've also seen vehicle valuations paid for from licensed Vehicle valuers simply saying " this vehicles market value is $X " but with no explanation why or any supporting facts of documentation.

This subject is and will continue to be debated  for ever and a day, and i think my point is, when people tell you what the think a car is worth they should be able explain how that came to value.

This might be interesting if we can get a enough examples, post the % of the difference of what you paid to what the advertised/asking price was of your 911. This does not give away what you paid for your car as that's your business, I'll start. I paid 24% less than the advertised asking price, this can be looked at in 2 ways, the asking price was unrealistic or I got a real bargain.

New Search Matching Records: 2 Page 1 of 1 1980 PORSCHE 911 SC 2D TARGA INLINE 6 2993 cc EFI 5 SP MANUAL 133 KW PASSENGER VEHICLE Date. Rel: November 1977 - Date. Disc: December 1983 3OU RRP: $47,552 Below Av.: $25,300 Av.: $33,800 Above Av.: $43,900 N/A km   1980 PORSCHE 911 SC 2D COUPE INLINE 6 2993 cc FI 5 SP MANUAL 133 KW PASSENGER VEHICLE Date. Rel: November 1977 - Date. Disc: December 1983 J3P RRP: $45,126 Below Av.: $24,200 Av.: $32,200 Above Av.: $41,800 N/A km

The disclaimer bit:

The above are my opinions only.

6 yrs ago I took 16% off the asking price of my SC. This included new tyres of my choice and Carrera chain tensioners fitted before I took delivery. It was priced pretty fairly so I didn't go too hard on the deal.

Rising values for SC's is nice now that I have one in the garage. I figure what I've spent since the purchase has kept pace with market value, not that I'm planning on selling any time soon.

You know these threads come up often and having recently bought mine there's one point that sings out in my mind each time - buy what you can afford, do the PPI, save a bit in the kitty to personalise it to what you want. Because once you've chosen 'the one' you'll love every bit of it and all the not so good bits will give it more character.

I've come to realise there is plenty of buyer support for good condition 911's in general so the price pressure/support is there and is not likely to change.

Hope you find what you're after when you're ready. Black SC's are rare from my experience but would be awesome.

Cheers,

Will.

Thanks for the additional comments.

All very good points and food for thought.

My concern is overpaying for an SC but given the tremendous knowledge on this forum, I'm sure there is plenty of support available when the time comes. 

Hey poli84,

The red SC at Hamilton's would be my pick. A close friend bought the last SC they sold (black '79 coupe) and it is a very well sorted car. The ad reads that the red car would be no different. From my personal experience if it passes through their hands it's sorted. Strong plug I know but well deserved.

Finally from my recent experience (bought '80 SC in Feb this yr) you could easily dump $30k on mechanicals alone getting a tired SC/3.2 up to the std of the white or red car - assuming cars are as advertised.

Cheers

Michael

I can also vouch for Hamilton's, bought mine there and its been rock solid - not a problem. Had it serviced there the other day and couldn't be happier. 

Archived