Bumper car damage and what to do...

Matt930

Hi Guys,

I have a much loved 930 (1976 model) which recently came off second best in a car park bumper car dual (this lovely lady backed clear into my drivers door)...

The car was originally Continental Orange, now a silver sort of colour, with a bunch of add ons to make it  look a little more 934 - ish (front bar and ironing board tail - tail looks crap) 964 cup wheels (agian  look horrible on) and genuine side skirts.

I'm thinking about just paying the extra dosh to have the complete car re-sprayed to the original colour and be done with it. quotes basically give me a range of 6-12K to paint the 'other' 2/3's of the car from a body company in north Sydney that do a lot of Porsche's. 

Anyway, there are some awesome Fuchs on ebay at the moment that are 17 X 9.5 and 11 on the rears, so im thinking about throwing some RSR flares on there and going all the way with it. Do you think it will be a bit much in terms of a 'street' car?

I was a little worried about such an outlandish colour at first, but then i remembered that i drive a Porsche, and its not very often that someone's not looking at you anyway :) but going that far with the wide body and what not, i'm just not too sure

can an CO 930 ever be too much for a street car ? If you like the idea of the flares then do it but if the wheels fit without them and you not that keen on going OTT then why not give them a trial fit before you commit either way and see what they look like without the flairs ?

It would be great if you started a build thread so we can follow your progress through the process

Is it the same orange as the pic in Uncle's 77 build thread? If it is then I think it would be criminal to hide it under silver. Also, 934's are NB bodied?? Stick with the 930 wide body unless you are goiing for the RWB look.

"Uncle

Today, 10:45 AM

934's are narrow body cars so it might look a little odd putting 934 flairs on a wide body car."

Cheers for the Comments Guys, Yeah i thought about leaving the 934 esque front bar, removing the side skirts and the rear wing and just going back to the whale tail. with the big tyres, would be MEAN, clean but still look old school.
Yeah Uncle, i bought the car as it is, when i seen the build plate with the Conti Orange numbers, i nearly shat myself... It is THE colour of the early racing Porsches without a doubt. Just a little bit of a shame that the colour doesnt show off the curves quite as good as the Silver... 
Im keen as for the Colour. Might do it in Early December though...

Similar thing happened to me, my neighbour at the time backed into the passenger door. Smaller dent than that, but it ended up being a full body bare metal respray - soon becomes a slippery slope of while your there...............etc.

In my opinion 6-12k would be an absolute minimum to paint one of these cars properly, then add the cost to do the guards (again properly) and it soon turns into a pretty costly exercise.

If I was you I'd be asking myself if your going to keep the car for a while or not? You wont get the money back for the extra work if your thinking of selling, so it comes down to what the cars worth to you.

Most importantly, be prepared for it to cost you more than you have been quoted.

The above refers to a respray in silver. A colour change will cost you way more - again if done properly (boot, engine bay, inner guards, sills etc.) be prepared for double your quoted cost.

Hey Hugh!

In most respects i agree, but to my benefit, A full body resto / repaint was never done in the first place... door jams and all that was obviously,but the engine bay, underneath the whole car etc is still Orange (even the roof inside the car, as the 930 has very small little holes in the roof lining)...

I fully accept that this may end up costing a lot more, but I fully intend to get burried in this car (or give it to my kids if i have any - yet to decide!). So spending the money is not so much of an issue...

And OZ930, thats exactly the car... Man thats Sexy! LOL

Hey Hugh!

In most respects i agree, but to my benefit, A full body resto / repaint was never done in the first place... door jams and all that was obviously,but the engine bay, underneath the whole car etc is still Orange (even the roof inside the car, as the 930 has very small little holes in the roof lining)...

I fully accept that this may end up costing a lot more, but I fully intend to get burried in this car (or give it to my kids if i have any - yet to decide!). So spending the money is not so much of an issue...

Cool Matt, as someone who has been in your very shoes I too had to weigh up the decision. I came to the realisation that I was not going to sell and so the story turned into a 2 year process of 'investment'  :) into my little old 911 that I had already owned for several years. It is a continual process that I dont see an end to anytime soon..............

I just feel the need to communicate the respect and dollars undertaking such a task can command. I don't know the full details of your car but so long as you have a clear understanding as to what its worth as is, and what your prepared to spend (or lose) on it if you are to start the restoration/modifying process. 

Having children has added something else to this conversation that can make things pretty complicated!  :o  ;)

Hey Hugh!

that makes it a touch choice imo!

i'd be torn between having it resprayed in the original colour properly, versus time off the road unable to be driven haha

so i think your options are either another door and beat the front guard and blend into all the panels?

or go all out and get your orange paint, change the wheels and turn it into a roadgoing 934! lol

I'm thinking about just paying the extra dosh to have the complete car re-sprayed to the original colour and be done with it. quotes basically give me a range of 6-12K to paint the 'other' 2/3's of the car from a body company in north Sydney that do a lot of Porsche's. 

I don't have a lot to add other than "ouch", and "good luck!", but I do have a question - who's the body place in North Sydney? Just for future reference should the need arise!

Cheers,

Archived