Boxster or Cayman

Eddy

My 2c on daily driving. Cars are meant to be driven and sports cars even more so. If I had the room I may well have a second car but I use the 911 as a daily and love it even in Sydney's crappy traffic. I've had the car a few months and already done over 8,000km.....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eddy, I only have 1 car, it goes everywhere and very nicely too!

Like Niko said, if I had my time over again and had been a member on PFA for a while longer I may have changed my purchase decision about buying the Boxster and gone old school 911. There is a plan in place though to put another Porsche in the garage in time for my next milestone birthday, so I will be a 2P guy if all goes well. No plans to get rid of my 987 that's for sure :)

what car / year / KMS ?  

I've not heard of that before...

I'm expecting service costs of $750 minor to $1200 major each year but outside of that i'm not expecting anything that's not a consumable (tyres, break pads, rotors, battery)

Mines a 2006 with less than 30,000kms on the clock...

what is he expecting will die?

Yesterday dealer offer me $2200 plus normal service each year to keep my car out of troubles. Is worth to do that?

I don't understand that Eddy.

When you say dealer do you mean a Porsche original dealership?

So the $2200.00 is for..........?????

And does he mean he will do a fixed price for "normal" servicing each year?

(Which I would be very surprised if he was abe to do that)

As BAFE said the normal go is.... minor services and major services, which obviously vary in prices, and what BAFE has quoted is in the ballpark varying on work done and who does it.

Your looking at a 987 or later, I would be going by the book or designated time for the servicing on that one.

HOWEVER...

After just having mine serviced last week, I spoke with the independent workshop dealer and due to the fact I only now do about 4 to 5k  a year in mine, a year he is happy to just do a service each year where we check over everything and anything needing doing will be done.

I am happy with that.   I have decided not to go by K's or the alternative of a fixed date service if K's not reached.

Keeping in mind, mine has just over 150k on it now.

I am also not interested in resale as far as the service records goes as the car is promised to my Grandson and not going anywhere.

This will probably fly in the face of a lot of people and maybe rightfully so.

Obviously if I find any faults in the meantime I will be getting it fixed though. 

Perhaps if it was a porsche dealer it might be the new package they were discussing a month or so back, fixed annual fee for servicing and 12mths warranty. We're some exceptions to the fixed price such as tyres and the like, not sure if it's been launched though.

Hi, sorry I may confuse your guys. Quote from Porsche dealer. $2200 per year for any break down repair cost. Each year I have to pay service cost plus any consumable as types,break pads and battery etc.

Hi, sorry I may confuse your guys. Quote from Porsche dealer. $2200 per year for any break down repair cost. Each year I have to pay service cost plus any consumable as types,break pads and battery etc.

Hmmm 2010 Boxster should be good for some time,

$2200.00 for something that the RACV could probably do for you if you have a breakdown.   IE towing etc,

but when you say "break down repair",

I doubt if they would cover what ever may have caused the breakdown. (unless of course it was still under warranty)

"Service costs" etc each year sounds like just normal deal.  So that is probably ok.

But the $2200.00 Insurance Policy(?) need to know exactly what it does cover should you break down, but as I said unless your car has a zillion K's on the clock you shouldn't have any foreseeable problems at this stage.

Just my opinion.    Someone else may know more about the $2200.00 break down policy. 

I think 25000k on the clock

Eddie mate, your car should be good for yonks.  

Without seeing what that $2200.00 covers I would be saying "No" to that one.

As the BAFEMAN says, fantastic deal......just not fantastic for you.  

Test drive 2012 Boxster today and feeling very good, driving much better than Z4. Before I put down deposit I would like to know how to clean the fabric to top, such as bird dropping or leaves? Also I cannot check the engine or engine oil, how do I know the engine and engine oil are in good condition? Thanks in advance.

Roof = squirt it with a hose

Check oil = comes up on the dash

Check engine = look under the car for oil leaks…  turn key to ensure engine is still in place…   :D

having just got out of a 1970 Mini where I used to clean and polish the engine / engine bay etc regularly, at first i felt somehow cheated with the boxster as "there was nothing to clean"  

That feeling has now passed   B)

My old 85 Bluebird drives better than an Z4.... :P

Eddie great stuff for the roof is called 303 convertible top cleaner and conditioner.   Two squirt bottles in the one box.

Fantastic product and available from.....the FABRIC GUARD in that box will bring thr roof up nice and black and repell water like you wouldn't believe. :D    

http://news.carcareproducts.com.au/2010/11/12/go_topless

I went through a similar phase when I bought my car earlier this year... 

First thoughts were a 98-00 911...

Then they switched to Boxster...

And somehow I ended up with the first gen Cayman S tiptronic.

Regrets?....none.

I was fortunate to have the use of a Boxster S for a weekend prior, and whilst the conv was cool, I really didn't like being out in the sun...

So for me, it wasn't worth having the conv.

The Cayman is a great fun car.... for me, it's only a weekend driver, but I somehow find a way to drive it more than just the weekends!

Deposited paid today and pick up mid January. I am still confused my car is 987 model or 981 model? Dealer told me the car is 2011 builded and 2012 Boxster 987. On VIC ROAD website the 2012 is Boxster 981. Can anyone help me?

Deposited paid today and pick up mid January. I am still confused my car is 987 model or 981 model? Dealer told me the car is 2011 builded and 2012 Boxster 987. On VIC ROAD website the 2012 is Boxster 981. Can anyone help me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Boxster

Have a look at this Eddie, I am thinking if it is plated/built in 2011 then you are going to be sitting in a 987.

The 981 as the photos and details tell you are quite a bit different and advanced on the 987.

Hope this helps a bit..  

Archived