Boxster or Cayman

Eddy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi eddy,

Firstly welcome to PFA. Secondly you've posted this question in the incorrect sub-forum. Look below for the mid-engine section. There you'll find loads of info on Boxsters especially. Niko even posted up the servicing costs on his 986 S during his ownership.

A moderator might be kind enough to move this thread to the right place!

Hi Eddy, welcome to the forum

It's a good question for as similar they are is as different as they are too I think

For me if you want a great drive with the benefit if dropping the roof it's the Boxster

But to my understanding there is very little that will handle as well and be such a good drive as the Cayman

I don't think I'll ever have the skill to out drive my car so I'm happy with the Boxster but I would dearly love to take a Cayman for a spin

Drive several of each and see how they feel

I think this thread needs photos!

So as I see it.. this is how this goes down.  Boxster is a convertible but with having a drop top car, a few issues come with it.  Firstly a convertible is never as rigid body wise as a Coupe like the Cayman.  You do get rattles, when the passenger seat is empty it will rattle if you don't move it so it sits under the rollbar hoop.  One way to have your cake and eat it too is to buy a boxster with hardtop.  Here's a lovely looking 986 with hardtop fitted.

2ivipnq.jpg

There's nothing like driving a convertible on a sunny winters day, roof down.. some heat blowing on your feet and a beanie on your head!  Get one with heated seats and it's even more luxurious.  Or on the flip side, early morning or late evening drives with the roof down!

post-9000-1180994404_thumb.jpg

There's very little wind turbulence in either the 986 or 987 Boxsters.  The wind deflector does a great job of directing the wind over the cabin. So that's a bonus.

I own a 2005 987 2.7 in Arctic Silver with Terracotta Leather Trim and I love it. It's a great car. I really do enjoy the convertible driving, so the rattles etc are something that dont bother me.

The Cayman is a wonderful looking Car.. and if you are really confused I'd drive as many as you can of both models and see what you like most.  Also, I think the Cayman is probably more expensive and also harder to find as there's not as many on the road.

Here's an idea.. there's also a roof you can buy (aftermarket) that gives the boxster the same roofline as the Cayman!

2035331253_dad6eca15e_o.jpg

As far as maintenance goes. These are Porsches. They aren't cheap to maintain. The key is to find a good reliable independant mechanic and use them. I'm still looking for one myself as I'm only a newbie P owner...  I'll let more experienced owners weigh in on the servicing costs.

3267167byv5.jpg

The newer the car, the less it should cost to maintain. 

I'm not sure I like that photo with the aftermarket roof to convert your Boxster into a Cayman lookalike...

I will add to the discussion to consider the different models on offer as well as the car type, certainly I have no regrets spending the extra dollars to get the S version with the 3.4 litre engine.

I guess it depends on your budget and if fuel prices are a concern, mine is for weekend fun only so I dont need to factor in day to day running costs.

Hey Eddy,

I think a lot will do with how much money you would be looking to spend.  You can get the early 986 Boxsters for a decent price however the first model Caymans are still a fair bit more expensive and depending on ones budget, they may be out of reach and not even comparable.

Personally, I think that the 986 (97-04 model Boxsters) represent great value for money when it comes to a 2nd hand sports car and I am not just saying that because I am trying to sell mine.  The 987 Boxsters are more refined and do have a more modern interior. Modern does not always mean better though does it air-cooled guys?!

A Cayman S would be my first choice as I prefer the coupe over convertible plus the extra power..  But blasting around with the top down is not half bad either.

To answer your question regarding running costs:  If you take your car to a dealership the costs will be astronomical to the point in which ownership enjoyment may suffer.  If you find a good independent mechanic and you are prepared to source some of the parts yourself from the US then your costs will be significantly lower.  Add on top of that if you do at the least the fluid changes yourself each year then you will find the running costs very manageable.  

To make a comparison, a friend of mine owned an 08 Golf GTI and the servicing on that at VW was more than my 04 Boxster S.

Oh one last thing and I hate to bring it up but..    Research 'Porsche IMS'

I'm not sure I like that photo with the aftermarket roof to convert your Boxster into a Cayman lookalike...

I will add to the discussion to consider the different models on offer as well as the car type, certainly I have no regrets spending the extra dollars to get the S version with the 3.4 litre engine.

I guess it depends on your budget and if fuel prices are a concern, mine is for weekend fun only so I dont need to factor in day to day running costs.

I don't like it either mockney.  I dont like that car above at all.. just showed the photo to give an idea and create some chit chat :)

And to go in the other direction,  I have no regrets not buying the S version in the 987. The 2.7 is very torquey, is more economical and more car than the majority of drivers can handle.

Horses for courses I suppose.   Eddy, you need to try 'em out!

Eddy,

Having owned both in the past I can say the standard running costs are all but identical - and in reality entirely reasonable for performance vehicles. Service costs are the same. If the vehicles are serviced by the book and driven sensibly they are seem to be incredibly robust and reliable.

Which is better ?  - as others have said - depends on what you want - open or closed? The Boxster was always designed from the outset to be a roadster - so it is about as structually stiff as open cars get. However they DO feel different and you would notice it at a track day for example.

Try both and choose the best example you can find.....

Michael

Hi Eddy,

My 2 cents worth, the Boxster is known as about the best handling convertible available in a production car. And having driven my 2007 Boxster 987 for 10,000 kms since March this year I also can't see why I would buy the hardtop in sunny Queensland. As Amanda says above, she enjoys her top down motoring with the toasty warm climate controlled air and a beanie even in cold Melbourne.

As also stated above, they are definitely a performance sports car so servicing prices are a little higher than some other cars but there are no shortage of independent service places available especially in Melbourne. Have a browse on the forum for info. I am happy with service prices as I didn't buy a Porsche expecting to pay $99 for a service. Shop around.

My 2.7 has more ability than I do so I don't need the larger engine of the S but each to their own.

Good luck and welcome to PFA.

A lot of reviewers(like Chris Harris) are saying the latest Cayman makes more sense than buying a 911, as it is perfectly balanced, has more than enough go for most ppl, and is a lot cheaper than the 911. They are also saying the Boxster is only a smidge off it in handling stakes and almost as much fun, so I think that you would be happy with either. Personally it would be Cayman all the way for me, as I have never been into convertibles, and I'd also want an S but I like to drive the pants off my cars. I'm not sure I would ever be in a position to buy either but if I was it'd be Cayman. When I was looking for my car I didn't even want a sunroof, and I had no idea how rare sunroof delete cars were, but when I went to look at it, I found that it didn't have the sunroof even though ad said it did, so was just lucky I went and checked it out. 

Take your time and find a good one, and don't be too scared by service costs, as a well maintained car usually doesn't need a lot. They can be a lot more expensive when you buy a *cheap* one and have to play catch up getting them right. Bottom line is that they are a performance car but most ppl here would agree that they are worth the price of entry and you soon forget any financial pain they may cause, due to the sheer enjoyment that owning one provides. I can just pull up a chair and look at mine to be happy, and not many cars have that effect on their owners lol

Hi All, can some one explain what PPI stand for? I have read a lot and don't understand. Thanks

A pre purchase inspection is the best money you can spend when buying a Porsche. Regardless of who is selling the car, get one done! I bought my car sight unseen, which is not for the feint of heart! I had a PPI done by Porsche Parramatta and had a good relationship with the seller who was patient and understood my slight nervousness buying from another state. He took photos of any paint flaws and I got no surprises when I first saw her!

As someone said above, take your time. Drive a few cars. Get a feel for all the different options available and buy the seller as much as the car!

You can't go wrong :)

Hi Eddy, welcome.

If I was in the market to update at the moment, as much as I love my Box, I think I would be going for the Cayman this time and if the S would fit the budget definitely go the extra and get that one.

As Amanda said though, driving with the roof down on a great day or night is pretty good. And through the hills with the roof down the sound is hard to beat when you put your foot down a bit.

I picked up a hard top for mine and had it painted to match, so winter time here in Melb on it goes. Factor in 2 to 3k if needs painting.

Re the servicing prices, I just had mine done which now has 150k on the clock and it was $590.00, from a very reputable independent.

That included a couple of extra little things like wiper blades and the like. My CX7 had it,s 60k service a few weeks back and it was about the same as my Box service.

Also personally I would probably go the manual this time. When I picked mine up nearly 6 years ago with 65k on the clock Ihad no idea what I was looking for in my Porsche. I was too scared to tackle a 911 type so went to the safety of a more modern car.

If this forum had have been around then I would have been asking similar questions as you are now and the advice I got may have sent me in a completely different Porsche direction.

I knew nothing about PPI's , so I was extremely lucky with my purchase.

Mine has a few clicks up now so I am expecting a few problems in the future, but the last service report tells me the car is still in near perfect mechanical condition..

What ever you decide Eddy, if you go through the right procedures you will end up with a sensational car.

Good luck

Hi Niko, Am I crazy to drive a prestige car for everyday driving (Monday to Friday -home to office to home).. Because most of the feedback from friend or the forum a Porsche car should be a weekend driving.

No mate definitely not crazy, the Cayman or Box will do that job easily. Depending on the traffic your going to encounter on the weekdays the only suggestion I would make is that a Tiptronic may make it a bit more pleasurable (is that a word?)

Tiptronic also gives you the choice of manual mode when you do get out on the weekends to give it a bit of a fang.

Hi Niko, Am I crazy to drive a prestige car for everyday driving (Monday to Friday -home to office to home).. Because most of the feedback from friend or the forum a Porsche car should be a weekend driving.

Hi Eddy,

I think you'll find a lot of the more modern Porsches being used as daily drivers, they were built to be driven. The only consideration with a Boxster/Cayman is the 2 seat capacity and limited boot space, other than that I'd drive it as you please.

Hey Eddy,

I work from home so I don't have much of a commute but I drive mine whenever I can.

Need milk?  I'll take the Boxster...

I've done 6000K's in three months, mines a manual and every drive is enjoyable.

I've only done a minor service since I've had it and i took it back to where I purchased the car.  

They have looked after me extremely well.  

Service cost was inline with my wife's Benz so for a performance Sports car  i really can not complain. 

(OK it might be the slowest car Porsche make, but that doesn't make it a slow car)

get out there and drive drive drive as many as you can.

the guys I've met on this forum are a great bunch.  Just wait 'til you front up to your first SMT

Enjoy the "delicious agony"  of test driving Porsche cars and I hope to meet you and your purchase soon.

Cheers

Hi Eddy, welcome.

If I was in the market to update at the moment, as much as I love my Box, I think I would be going for the Cayman this time and if the S would fit the budget definitely go the extra and get that one.

A Cayman 'S' ticks a lot of boxes for me too Niko.

I would like a cream one with a maroon or tan interior.

Not available of course but I'm only thinking out aloud anyway.

It just that bl**dy IMS business that keeps nagging at me though.

I guess there is no such thing a perfect mistress.

Believe me a lifetime of British sports car ownership has taught me that.

Sorry Amanda, That statement is a bit sexist I suppose

Dave

Dave

A Cayman 'S' ticks a lot of boxes for me too Niko.

I would like a cream one with a maroon or tan interior.

Not available of course but I'm only thinking out aloud anyway.

It just that bl**dy IMS business that keeps nagging at me though.

I guess there is no such thing a perfect mistress.

Believe me a lifetime of British sports car ownership has taught me that.

Sorry Amanda, That statement is a bit sexist I suppose

Dave

Dave

Ha no worries Dave! I find the idea of a cream Cayman with maroon interior slightly more offensive I think :P :P ha just kidding!

Archived