420+ horsepower 968/944 engine for sale

For sale is the 420+ horsepower supercharged 968 engine from my racecar. This would work very well in a dedicated track car and idles and runs at part throttle very well so would work fine in a street car with the right tune.

DSC_3618_zps66b87f96.jpg

History:

This engine was built in Dubai at the beginning of 2011. I did the assembly and all the machine work was done by a local engineering shop. It ran in three GT Series race meetings in Dubai before spending 12 months in storage and transit to Australia. Since arriving in Australia it has done three track days at Lakeside, one trackday at Queensland Raceway and some dyno time. Total time on the engine since the rebuild is approximately 25 hours, all track and dyno.

Details:

Block

S2 block from an 80,000km road car which had good bores so cylinders were left untouched. Block was cleaned, checked and fitted with 968 piston squirters and deck was mirror polished to ensure a good Cometic gasket seal. New Head Studs fitted.

Crank

Stock 968 from my previous race engine, cleaned and checked. New Bearings at time of build.

Rods

Karl Poeltl from Racers Edge originally had the rods made by Arrow for a special high rpm race engine build he was doing. The customer didn’t finish the build so he sold them to me. They ran in my previous race engine for one season prior to this current build. New Bearings at time of build.

Pistons

Custom Wossner pistons speced to give 9:1 compression ratio by Karl Poeltl based on my head cc measurements. New for this build.

Cylinder Head

968 head from my previous race engine. Head was cleaned, checked for straight, given a valve job, new guides/seals, mirror polished, and new variocam chain and guides installed.

Camshafts

Custom camshafts from my previous race engine supplied by Racers Edge. Intake 274 @ .004" x .440 Lift, Exhaust 271 @ .004" x .390 Lift.

Intake Manifold

Stock 968.

Injectors

Siemens 72lb/hr. Flowed power pack from Lindsey Racing.

Exhaust Manifold

4 into 1 Stahl Headers. Primary lambda sensor at base, and bungs in each runner for individual cylinder lambda or egt sensors.

Supercharger System

Modified Speedforce Racing 968 supercharger kit. Procharger C2 head unit, no impeller damage, oil and belts changed for every track event. I replaced the original aluminium mounting bracket which had a single idler pulley, with a custom steel braced bracket with dual idler pulleys for no head flex, better pulley wrap and no belt slip. I replaced the original 6 rib belt system with a custom 8 rib belt system, and a much larger crank pulley which allows the system to make boost much earlier than in the standard setup and allows the head unit to run to it’s maximum design speed without any belt slip. Modified high flow large 3 inch intake with bellmouth and large Uniflow Pod Filter. Stock 944 Turbo intercooler.

Head Unit from Top:

DSC_3631small_zps14101e63.jpg

Head Unit from Side:

DSC_5244_zps5b271695.jpg

Modified Mounting Bracket and Dual Idlers:

DSC_2320_zpsba13bf0d.jpg

Modified 8 rib belt system, 7 inch crank pulley allows retention of S2 Harmonic Balancer:

DSC_5251_zps2545f465.jpg

Modified intake:

DSC_5207_zps8b183f9d.jpg

Current Condition:

Currently in very good condition, no running issues at all, no head gasket issues, no overheating, no misfiring, no water use, no excessive oil consumption. Engine has always run on Shell Helix Racing ultra 10W -60 and I have changed the oil for every track event. Coolant has always been water with water wetter. The car hasn’t been used this year apart from regular starting in my shed. I did a leakdown test today (31/12/13) with the following results: 7%, 4%, 4%, 7% all into the crankcase. This is slightly down on where it was after the build (3%, 2%, 2%, 3%) but consistent with even wear. This is a very strong motor and there is still plenty of life in it.

Video showing cold start, warm up and leak down test:

Engine temp and pressure traces from last time the car was driven:

TypicalTempsampPressures_zpsd60dfdb6.jpg

Performance:

The engine has always run with a safe tune. I run it with a Motec M400 standalone computer tuned on MAP only (no MAF). The supercharger is relatively low boost (max 10-11psi) so the engine is not particularly stressed from boost. With the cams it does rev very well and I generally run it to 7000rpm. Last dyno tune in 2012 on a Dyno Dynamics dyno netted 362whp. Flywheel estimated 424hp and 380 ft/lb torque. Engine has only run a couple of hours since then. Unlike a turbo the power delivery is very linear and driveable like a big naturally aspirated engine with sharp throttle response and a very strong top end. Part throttle driving is well behaved and it would run fine in a street car with the right tune. A more efficient intercooler and intake manifold would allow the cams to work better and likely net a decent hike in power levels with no other changes.

Dyno Chart Flywheel Estimate:

img-120718134326_zps2e9cafc4.jpg

Dyno Chart Whp and Boost:

img-120718134301_zps6b7d195b.jpg

Last GT Race in Dubai with this Engine:

Track Day Lakeside with this Engine:

Price:

I have nearly $20,000 in parts and several thousand more in machining and labour in this engine. What I am asking is well below replacement cost of parts alone.

Option 1:

I will sell the engine, entire supercharger system including the complete intake with intercooler, and the headers for $11,000 plus shipping. This does not include the alternator or power steering pump, but I will include a couple of spare drive belts and oil for the supercharger.

Option 2:

I will also consider selling the long engine only, without intake or exhaust for $8,000 plus shipping as it would make a good basis for a turbo motor with the rods, pistons and cams already done.

Extras:

I can add the Spec Stage 3 Hybrid Clutch and Spec Aluminium flywheel, both in good condition with a recently replaced clutch plate for an additional $1000 if someone buys the engine.

I also have two exhaust systems, both 2.5 inch sleeve fittings at the headers into 3 inch straight through. One is straight through with a single chamber muffler at the rear and very loud (105db), second is straight through but with three spirals and a single chamber muffler, which is quieter (95db). The dyno results shown were with the quieter exhaust, which is currently on the car. The other exhaust makes a few more horsepower. I can add either exhaust for an additional $600 each if someone buys the engine.

I would also consider selling the Motec M400 with the engine for an additional $2500, it has onboard lambda and logging options and all the mapping for this motor. i can also provide just the Motec files if someone just wants the fuel and ignition tables for reference.

Engine is currently in the car and running for any inspection, but the car can’t be driven on the road. I am on the Sunshine Coast in QLD. I suggest anyone who is interested should probably come and look at it and satisfy themselves. What you see is what you get and I am not offering any warranty.  I will remove the engine after sale, which usually takes me one or two days.

General Questions in the thread so everyone can see the answers, but PM me if actually interested in buying.

Cheers,

Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived