anybody have any hookups for motorsport tyres?

Another option is St George tyres in Sydney (via ebay). I ordered a couple of sets of R888 over the years and even wth delivery to melbourne, they were considerably cheaper than anyone local. Same prices to Pauly's link for the sizes I looked at.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-X-NEW-205-50-15-TOYO-R888-SEMI-SLICK-RACE-TYRES-L-K-/291056383744?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c44ff700

Clutch, I run Kuhmo Ecsta KU31(I think thats the number) on the rear of the 3.2, I know they are

"only" a street tyre, but so far they are as good as the Conti sport contact's I used to run.

Be interested to see how the Kuhmo's compare with the R888's, keep us posted

Try Taleb Tyres in Sydney. Used to buy R888's for the race car from them for $1000/set delivered to Brisbane. They were 205/50/15 though. Just have to get them fitted locally. 

Edit: I saw that you had already ordered after I had posted. We have found the Kuhmos are faster than the Toyos, but they don't last anything like as long and they de-laminate before the end of their life. 

This happened at Lakeside in December. 

8ux7.jpg

Clutch, I run Kuhmo Ecsta KU31(I think thats the number) on the rear of the 3.2, I know they are

"only" a street tyre, but so far they are as good as the Conti sport contact's I used to run.

How long did the KU31's last? and what do you use them for?

I'm thinking of replacing my toyo t1r's with these and use them just for street driving. And i won't want to loose to much performance with the tyre swap.

I use the toyos for SMTs also and they get bashed on the roads.

So to save the street tyres from getting hammered on a SMT i'm putting KU36's on another set of wheels and using them for SMTs and other events that'll shred tyres 

i have ku31's on my fuch street wheels, they are not bad at all. not as good as the toyo proxes RA1's they replaced but much more sensible for street use..

Try Taleb Tyres in Sydney. Used to buy R888's for the race car from them for $1000/set delivered to Brisbane. They were 205/50/15 though. Just have to get them fitted locally. 

cheers cal will look them up.

i have ku31's on my fuch street wheels, they are not bad at all. not as good as the toyo proxes RA1's they replaced but much more sensible for street use..

cheers cal will look them up.

You cannot compare those two! one is a R spec and the other is a street tyre. as long as the Ku31 is good, i'll get them or thinking about dunlop DZ101

How long did the KU31's last? and what do you use them for?

I'm thinking of replacing my toyo t1r's with these and use them just for street driving. And i won't want to loose to much performance with the tyre swap.

I use the toyos for SMTs also and they get bashed on the roads.

So to save the street tyres from getting hammered on a SMT i'm putting KU36's on another set of wheels and using them for SMTs and other events that'll shred tyres 

Pauly, Ku31's have only been on about a year, so probably <2000kms'. used on SMT's etc. Have to say they hang on really well in the corners, in fact on one SMT, the fronts (still conti sport contact2) let go (understeered

wide through the corner) no movement from the rear. (disclaimer conti's are older than the Kuhmo's).

But so far happy with the Kuhmos..

Edit: I saw that you had already ordered after I had posted. We have found the Kuhmos are faster than the Toyos, but they don't last anything like as long and they de-laminate before the end of their life. 

8ux7.jpg

well the UTQG is 50 AA A for the v700a and 100 AA A for the R888 so the V700a will last half the time the toyos will. 

You cannot compare those two! one is a R spec and the other is a street tyre. as long as the Ku31 is good, i'll get them or thinking about dunlop DZ101

i know. was too expensive to burn up on the street :D

8ux7.jpg

cheers for the feedback - order hasn't gone through yet might change it!

well the UTQG is 50 AA A for the v700a and 100 AA A for the R888 so the V700a will last half the time the toyos will. 

Well that explains it then. They still don't have to self destruct like that though. It's happened many times, I just happened to get a photo of this one. If that had let go at Lakeside while doing 1.01 - 1.02's it could have been deadly. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I purchased some track tyres. Are not full R spec, but in between R spec and road tyres. At around the low $200 each mark they are great value and the grip is fantastic. They are Hancook Ventus R-S3 17's and I purchased them from Bendigo Brake and Tyre Service who deal in motorsport stuff.

Just be careful when ordering from St George and possibly Taleb. I've seen very cheap tyres but they're far from fresh. 

Hard to tell as markings on tyres are often as clear as Hieroglyphics but there's usually a reason why the lebs...er Taleb sell them cheap.

You can find out if you do a bit of research on the dates. Usually it would have 13 somewhere among the longer numbers on the side which would denote made in 2013 etc.. 

Archived