Sydney 993 owners request

au-yt

Hi Guys

I am in the process of hunting for a 993 Varoram something.... odd I know.... my head says Manual wife says Triptronic. happy wife happy life.

The odd bit I am yet to drive either, so is there any one in Sydney  who could assist.

I hate dealers and the presure of seller and want to take my time with this.

I am not new to Porsches and I owned a 2.4S 27 years ago and now realise I am a dill for a selling it and chasing the Italian glamor.

The Trip is something that is a good alrounder on papper especially with a  Varioram

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I'm on the north side (Lane Cove), but if you can make it this far drop me a PM - mine is pre-varioram though. I went through the same - got the tip a few months back and love it. Would've preferred a manual, but as you say... happy wife...  :D

In terms of dealers - I can't recommend Autohaus up in Dee Why enough - they were an absolute pleasure to deal with - no pressure apart from that I applied to myself!

Cheers,

Graeme,

I notice there is a nice blue Varioram Tip waiting for you at Autohaus that's just come onto the market.  They had a perfect silver Varioram Tip that had about 115,000km recently that was only on the market for a few weeks.  They must have got close to the $65k asking price. 

Like Gavin, I found Scott the salesman there very patient and easy to deal with....

Hi Peter

Thanks for the Autohause advice, I Spoke to them today and they didnt mention anything about the blue car... and its a Varioram.

May be i didnt ask the right question. But I will tomorrow

Cheers

Graeme

Not trying put salt into the wound, but you could easily get 2x 993s for the price of a good matching numbers Aussie delivered 2.4S.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know why VarioRam so important? If it is a good condition car and has VarioRam, thats a bonus IMHO. If you get the chance why not try VarioRam vs. non VarioRam and see how much difference there is.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know why VarioRam so important? If it is a good condition car and has VarioRam, thats a bonus IMHO. If you get the chance why not try VarioRam vs. non VarioRam and see how much difference there is.

That is a really good point about the Varioram.

Add a Steve Wong chip and you'll pick up 15hp or so in a pre-Vario car.

Both cars are virtually identical apart from the Varioram, though can have a significant price differential.

Not trying put salt into the wound, but you could easily get 2x 993s for the price of a good matching numbers Aussie delivered 2.4S.

T-Man you are correct but in reallity 1.5 993s to 2.4S Aussie prices arnt as high as the US auction car on You Tube. A car sold recently for 140 with a 2.7Kit

My wanting a Varioram is simple from a long term collectability point of view the last of a specific model is the one to buy and in this case a 993 VarioRam

The one I owned i know the owner and its valued about the same.

I plan to try both and a Manual if I can find one to drive and I would like one to keep... the car I currently have and should sell but will I have owned for 24 years

Graeme

That is a really good point about the Varioram.

Add a Steve Wong chip and you'll pick up 15hp or so in a pre-Vario car.

Both cars are virtually identical apart from the Varioram, though can have a significant price differential.

Hi Theo

You are correct its only a small difference and It wont be dicounted if the right car comes along.

PS I like the white car on you avatar what wheels are on it please?

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I went through this dilemma last year after trading my SC for a 993 Tip and to be honest I found the whole experience a little underwhelming and somewhat boring.Yes it was great in traffic and my wife found it easy to drive but really nothing beats a manual.I traded it back to Autohaus after only a few months for a 964C2 manual which is unbelievable and the best car I have driven!.There are plenty of 993 and 964 auto's out there in the marketplace at the moment but not too many manual's available.I did look at a Varioram 993 Tip at the time as well and found it just offered extra power.At the end of the day it all comes to personal choice and I'm sure there are many Tiptronic owners more than satisfied with thier cars and would not change it for anything.!!

Regards James

the old fella who sold me his 911SC rally car at the ripe old age of 73 said he was planning on slowing down a little and got a 993 tip.

before he'd turned 75 he'd sold the tiptronic, tried to buy the rally car back off me, and ended up in a manual 3.0L car not long after.

judging by the whole experience i suspect some may find the tiptronic all a bit underwhelming- be prepared to argue for a manual :D

I'm no expert and have had all the same debates as AY. Your last of breed vario ram as an investment may have some logic but I am not sure that logic extends to tips. I just don't see a serious collector chasing a last of breed in an auto.

Guys thanks for the advice, I am planning to drive a couple of cars in the next couple of days to get a better understanding.

There are Manuals for sale and they are mainly C4S cars which is isnt of the list.

I have owned 2, 6 Speed manual cars both Hondas. A late TypeR great thing, but not torque and the gearing was rubbish.

Interesting thing about a 6 speed is most of the time I used half the gears eg 1>3>5 any way.

Many thanks for the advice I will keep you posted, and having just sold my last car of 24 years I now have the funds

Graeme

Thank you.............Wheels are Veloce-RS. Cheap Speedline RS replica of sorts.

Here's a better pic.

IMAG0666-1-1.jpg

If you didn tell they were cheep i wouldnt have known!  what sizes are they

Nice combination, call me old fassion but totally black wheels on a white car looks like the wheels are missing!

Graeme

Archived