Air Cooled Valve Lash tool

Caledonian

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an answer of sorts - though I keep receiving parcels that are often 50% rarefied yankee air

there is this bit of DIY

13mm1399474654.jpg

g'head, scratch head... cool.gif

Yes, the answer is RIGHT there on the box-end wrench.

I'll 'splain...

The hex nut you are turning has 6 points, that wrench has 12. (math: 360°/12=30° ... at 1mm pitch that makes 30° <=> 3.3thou. - the spec being between .002 and .006" )

So, who needs the silly pointy tool? You have a great angle reference built right in to the box-end wrench. (point to point is 30° or .0033") And remember, the spec is .004 PLUS OR MINUS .002 (read: the tolerance is Huge! ...don't make the work so hard.)

PS, I find .004" to often be a bit noisy. Shooting for the .0033 (1/12th a turn) keeps 'em quiet. smile.gif

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of Wayne's response about not knowing the cubic measurement of his products. Everything freight wise is cubic based, so not having that information for your products is crazy (even if there are millions of them, you'd assume over time each and every one would pass through the warehouse for measurement. Or if you're going to run a 4 year project on your inventory time to start a 4 year project on shipping)

I know we're not a very big market, but there's something about the postage calculation on PP that I don't understand. Every other business I deal with from the US to buy parts seems to be half the price for postage (or more) using the same shipping method

He mentions making a loss on shipping too - from my personal retail experience postage is where you can make a small amount of profit to cover handling etc.

Maybe I've missed something though or maybe I just don't get it

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of Wayne's response about not knowing the cubic measurement of his products. Everything freight wise is cubic based, so not having that information for your products is crazy (even if there are millions of them, you'd assume over time each and every one would pass through the warehouse for measurement. Or if you're going to run a 4 year project on your inventory time to start a 4 year project on shipping)

I know we're not a very big market, but there's something about the postage calculation on PP that I don't understand. Every other business I deal with from the US to buy parts seems to be half the price for postage (or more) using the same shipping method

He mentions making a loss on shipping too - from my personal retail experience postage is where you can make a small amount of profit to cover handling etc.

Maybe I've missed something though or maybe I just don't get it

Ask yourself the question.

How long do you think it would take to rectify if the imbalance wasn't in PP's favour?

I can guarantee that a guy like Wayne Dempsey is never going to buckle to any view that is not in alignment with his and he is totally focused on his opinion only. Talking to him it was obvious that he is not that sort of person but he is very clever and can put forward a convincing argument in print. He has a sound business and I assume has become personally secure so why wouldn't he keep on calling the shots as he sees fit. I have said it before, visiting the warehouse revealed what was a fairly miserable looking tame workforce. Years of dealing with many companies taught me to read the signs between the pleasant environs and those that were less so. 

Interestingly there is a thread on P absolutely bagging auto atlanta. I have dealt with them on many occasions ; always very reasonable postage , most of what's listed is in stock and they always offer prompt courteous service . It has been especially useful for hard to obtain parts for the 924, 944 and now the 928. Without the postage ripoff. Of course and as always , YMMV .

All that free internal shipping PP does has to paid for some how, and that's where fleecing foreign customers come in. I order books, tomes no less, and car parts from two-bit operators in Sphincter, Colorado, and other back woods and they some how manage to offer reasonable pricing and different shipping options.

This is the "Valve Lash Tool thread"! take your postage debate to your own thread, Russ you're a moderator you should be setting an example :D

Dave check your e-mail, there a pick of your new Valve lash tool.... and also a pic of the postage cost......

This is the "Valve Lash Tool thread"! take your postage debate to your own thread, Russ you're a moderator you should be setting an example :D

Dave check your e-mail, there a pick of your new Valve lash tool.... and also a pic of the postage cost......

You're right, sorry.

Maybe I should rename the thread for you, lol

They just arrived, we will see who will be first to review....

MIne arrived yesterday.  Thanks, Mike.

I didn't waste any time.  I've been waiting for the valve tool to arrive so I could do an oil change and valve adjustment.  Oil out, valve covers off and into it.  After getting my head and hands around how to hold the tool in place on the rocker, easy job. The included instructions are pretty clear with step by step photos and notes.  No more fiddly feeler gages to mash up between the foot and cam lobes. The nice thing is being able to visiualy check if the screw has moved after doing up the lock nut. 

MIne arrived yesterday.  Thanks, Mike.

I didn't waste any time.  I've been waiting for the valve tool to arrive so I could do an oil change and valve adjustment.  Oil out, valve covers off and into it.  After getting my head and hands around how to hold the tool in place on the rocker, easy job. The included instructions are pretty clear with step by step photos and notes.  No more fiddly feeler gages to mash up between the foot and cam lobes. The nice thing is being able to visiualy check if the screw has moved after doing up the lock nut. 

How about 3&6 upper cylinders access? 

Harvey,

By backdating do you mean removed?

If so you don't want heating during the winter months?

Dave

Plenty of heat, I just removed the fan from the engine bay.

http://porscheforum.com.au/index.php?/topic/1538-what-did-you-do-to-your-porsche-today/?view=findpost&p=41279

http://porscheforum.com.au/index.php?/topic/1538-what-did-you-do-to-your-porsche-today/?view=findpost&p=41331

• 5 months later...

I thought a follow-up post was in order.  While the initial adjustment using the Kirk tool seemed to go pretty well, being the OCD perfectionist that I am, inconsistency in the tappet noise has bugged me ever since.  

After some quick googlology, I decided to check the valve clearances using the "back-side method" refer PP Tech article.   This enables a check without disturbing the rocker lock nuts. Unlike when using the normal feeler gauge method which requires backing off the screw and re-setting the clearance each time.  I don't like this method as it relies on "feel" and usually deforms the feeler gauge blade.  Not really good for accuracy.  The back-side method provides a definite result using standard feeler gauges.

To avoid dropping the oil I lifted one side of the car at a time (thanks to Mike@Spyder for this tip) and checked just the valves on that side.  As I suspected, the clearances were not all the same.  While some were spot on, maybe 7 or 8 out of 12 rockers were off spec. with some loose and a couple a bit tight.   Small adjustments were all that were needed to bring the gaps back to spec. checking with the 0.0025" and 0.0030" gauges.  I've finally found a practical use for the metrology lessons taken in my eng. studies decades ago.

While it was a bit tedious swapping between intake and exhaust side to check each adjustment, the result is far better IMO.  Maybe with a bit of practice I could get the accuracy better with the Kirk tool, but I think I'll stick with the go/no-go gauges in the future

Archived