Air Cooled Valve Lash tool

Caledonian

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking for any "Expressions of interest" in a group buy for some of these? The reason being the usual from PP, postage costs are  ok if you buy a bit of stuff but too expensive if you want to buy one to two small parts.

For me to buy 1 @$85US the postage was $55 US for 4x Tools Postage was $65US 7 x tools was $80US so the more you buy the better the postage cost. 

If your interested just "Like" the post and then we can take it from there.

Well, i suppose this whole thing came about as i only wanted to buy 1 small and light tool, so a soft socket for wheel nuts should be OK. I did have a quick look to see what difference it made by adding it to the cart on PP to get the postage cost, but they are out of stock just now?

Can you confirm the part number of the one you want, just in case i picked the wrong thing.

I'd be interested but I have a feeling I'll know a guy with the tool.. lol

Now there is another option,  a State group buy? say a a few in each state or city chip in for the tool and share it (you would only use it once or twice a year).

You are inspiring Russ :D

yeah I was thinking we should keep a 'special tools library' similar to what the Mercedes-Benz club does in QLD. Keep one of these, the cam undo tool, fanbelt tool, ball joint fork, some gearbox tools and anything else we can think of

would need to get a fair few people interested to make it worthwhile though

Does it have to be just this tool, or can it be anything from PP?

I'm looking to buy a soft socket for wheel nuts?

I reckon anything in that sort of size and weight will do it Dougie.

I have no problem if you want in.

Harv's and Caledonian probably have an opinion on it but I can't see that they would object.

This could be the start of beating the prohibitive shipping costs from the States. 

PP have the products that most of us need from time to time but their shipping costs are often completely unreasonable and I might add inflexible.

Wayne R. Dempsey told me once on the phone years ago when I dared to cross examine him on the inflexible shipping costs that we International customers were lucky to be supplied and he was considering whether he was going to bother or not.

Well that clearly never happened as he has quite a customer base around the world.

Australia I imagine is one of the stronger ones.

His arrogant attitude really put me off at the time. Ask Steve993. I haven't been able to let it go for 6 years.

I am not a forgive and forget type.

As a result I search high and low to buy from alternative sources whenever possible and invariably their shipping costs are more reasonable.

That said PP still offer the goods and supply to fulfill our requirements

Strength in numbers seems like a good plan to me. 

A  communal purchasing thread might be a nice addition to the PFA. 

Dave

I reckon anything in that sort of size and weight will do it Dougie.

I have no problem if you want in.

Harv's and Caledonian probably have an opinion on it but I can't see that they would object.

This could be the start of beating the prohibitive shipping costs from the States. 

PP have the products that most of us need from time to time but their shipping costs are often completely unreasonable and I might add inflexible.

Wayne R. Dempsey told me once on the phone years ago when I dared to cross examine him on the inflexible shipping costs that we International customers were lucky to be supplied and he was considering whether he was going to bother or not.

Well that clearly never happened as he has quite a customer base around the world.

Australia I imagine is one of the stronger ones.

His arrogant attitude really put me off at the time. Ask Steve993. I haven't been able to let it go for 6 years.

I am not a forgive and forget type.

As a result I search high and low to buy from alternative sources whenever possible and invariably their shipping costs are more reasonable.

That said PP still offer the goods and supply to fulfill our requirements

Strength in numbers seems like a good plan to me. 

A  communal purchasing thread might be a nice addition to the PFA. 

Dave

Every time PP Postage is mentioned poor old Dave starts frothing at the mouth and you have to throw a bucket of cold water on him 

While I don't want to distract from the purpose of my original post, I thought I would just throw this out there….

Special Tool Hire and or subscription program? 

In conduction with being a "Financial Member" you pay an (optional) annual subscription to be able to borrow special tools from the PFA toolbox.  The subscription fees  pay for the purchase and maintenance of the tools, you book and borrow the tool for a set time and only pay postage costs (suggest this would have to be worked out at a flat rate to ensure no disadvantage for where you live).

Obviously this would need to be managed by somebody but it would enhance and possibly attract more paying members. There might even be people out there that have already bought tools for a specific job and will probably not use them again, they could trade them to offset their  subscription fee or even donate them to the scheme.

The list of tools could get silly and of course before going any futher the PFA "Managment" need to look into the feasibility and viability of such a scheme, maybe a EOI thread to kick things off? or just like this post and if it get enough response one of the moderators can take it from there.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

Mike

Back to the original question, has anyone used one?   I've only done my valve clearances twice and it's a PITA even with the correct feeler gauge tool. Maybe it's just my inexpereince.   If this is easier and accurate then I was thinking of adding one to the cart next time I order from PP. A group buy could suit me if I dont get in first.

I'm not a fan of tool libraries. I like to have tools on hand when I need them.  Although I have been known to borrow tools for a one-off job.

A soft wheel nut socket for D-banger shouldnt add to much to the postage.

While I don't want to distract from the purpose of my original post, I thought I would just throw this out there….

Special Tool Hire and or subscription program? 

In conduction with being a "Financial Member" you pay an (optional) annual subscription to be able to borrow special tools from the PFA toolbox.  The subscription fees  pay for the purchase and maintenance of the tools, you book and borrow the tool for a set time and only pay postage costs (suggest this would have to be worked out at a flat rate to ensure no disadvantage for where you live).

Obviously this would need to be managed by somebody but it would enhance and possibly attract more paying members. There might even be people out there that have already bought tools for a specific job and will probably not use them again, they could trade them to offset their  subscription fee or even donate them to the scheme.

The list of tools could get silly and of course before going any futher the PFA "Managment" need to look into the feasibility and viability of such a scheme, maybe a EOI thread to kick things off? or just like this post and if it get enough response one of the moderators can take it from there.

Your thoughts?

Cheers

Mike

Even though I like the thought of a forum or club based special tool cache the difficulty in administrating it is a little daunting.

Realistically we are not a club it is a forum of like minded people using a facility independently set up by a private person to give individual owners a place to be among their own.

Please correct me if I am wrong Kerry.

Taking this into consideration we are not bound by any club structure or rigid ruling, nor do I want it to be.

The less of that garbage the better.

Look at the existing P clubs for example. Who needs it when you are just a bunch of enthusiasts out for a bit of fun. 

They do provide a more solid platform to run a club based tool scheme with a larger infrastructure to oversee operations.

The problem that I can see is that we are an Australian wide forum and will will incur all the difficulties associated with such,

While we are relatively small and everyone has a fairly good knowledge of one another it is probably going to be fine but once it grows larger and members are less well recognized it may have a tendency to become difficult to control especially as there is no real club structure to back it up.

My first request for the new hire group is a lifting table to easily drop the engine onto when using a hoist for removal.

Now who is going to approve the purchase

Dave

Getting back to the proposed "Valve Lash Tool" procurement cooprative <_<

To confirm those who have expressed an interest:

1. Harvs11 - Melbourne
  2. webrest - Melbourne
  3. Tazzieman - Tas
  4. jb84911 - Melbourne
  5. Me - Brisbane
  6. D-banger - Melbourne (socket) not in stock:(
  7. AC78 - Canberra

If i've missed any one just let me know.

So here is what i propose:

1. At 5pm (QLD time) tomorrow 19/03/2014 EOI ends.
  2. Those of you that have expressed an interest and are still wanting to take part need to PM me with your preferred e-mail/contact details.
  3. I will workout the total cost (as accuartly as possible) and send a group e-mail with the details of payment and delivery etc.
  4. Once all payment etc. are confirmed and will submit the order.

My rough estimate comes to $100 AU landed cost each plus whatever it costs to distribute them in Australia, common sense would all the Melbourne ones be sent to one address, if practical. In the spirit of a buying group If all we share the postage costs equally in Australia  

Also as not to incur GST etc. if the interest increases significantly the total cost of the order will have be capped at $1000 inc shipping (I think that is still the figure).

Cheers

Mike

Caledonian - I messaged you on the Pelican Forum the other day - put me down for a valve adjust tool also.

Do you need it urgently?  If you give it a few more days I might have some things to add to the order.

Has anybody tried a US forwarding address as a means of beating expensive Pelican postage?

Caledonian - I messaged you on the Pelican Forum the other day - put me down for a valve adjust tool also.

Do you need it urgently?  If you give it a few more days I might have some things to add to the order.

Has anybody tried a US forwarding address as a means of beating expensive Pelican postage?

Yes got your message and replied, (well i thought i did ) anyway i'll add you to the list and while there is no real urgency, these things can have a habit of dragging out, hence the timeline.

As for adding more stuff to the order, that would depend on what your looking to get I.E couple of small light things, possibly but a heap of heavy stuff, probably not.

Not had any experience with forwarding companies, and to be honest the postage from PP is not really that expensive when you do a bulk order as the money you are saving on the parts normally offsets the postage cost a bit. But buying one or two small things is just not viable.

Cheers

Mike

Had a look at that and it didn't appear to work out in the examples I tried.

Please post if you find a real viable operator.

Thought of getting stuff shipped to mates in the US but it is an impost on friendship to be asking them to ship articles on a regular basis. So I decided not to ask.

Dave

caledonian you pipped me to it - ill take one also

after my last valve lashing, where I had a torch taped to my head at 9.30pm on an autumn canberra evening..well fill in the rest

with the issue of drop box shipping or to a mate in the US. I looked at this recently with a pelican order and truth be told after you pay local state taxes and then have a mate ship it - well for the $3-5 shipping it saved it didnt make sense.

Doesnt mean i dont often feel aggrieved at the high cost to ship small packages and items - solution I always ask if anyone else local needs to buy anything.

Ive also talked about a tool library with the canbra gents and there are a few amongst us who are happy to loan share as necessary - the logisitics on a bonafide hire /membership scheme will take some wranglng but given the cost of some of the Posrsche and more generalised tools - might be worth it. Be interested to knowif it gets off the ground

cheers MIchel

The final group is:

webrest

harvs11

Me

Michel

jb84911

AC78

I will sent an e-mail to PP this morning requesting confirmation of the shipping costs and importantly the availability, as these tools were recently out of stock. Once I hear back from them I'll e-mail the group with the details. Based on the current exchange rates we are looking at approximately $110 ea landed cost (to Brisbane) plus whatever it costs (should be less than $10) to send them to each of you.

Cheers

Mike 

Archived